444 soy candle scent throw weakens halfway through lighting it

Hi everyone! 
have y’all ever experienced this issue before? I am using GB 444. I heat up wax to 190, add oil at 185 (anywhere from 8%-10%, depending on the FOs strength), stir for 2 minutes (clockwise and counterclockwise), and pour almost immediately after stirring (temp is usually anywhere from 160-175 after that). I let them cure for 1-2 weeks. This is my general process! 

however, a few of my friends who test my candles have said that although they smell amazingly when first lit, the candle loses it scent throw or it weakens on the 2nd burn (or sometimes half way through). 

what am I doing wrong? I know GB 444 is “inconsistent” but I thought that was just in regards to craters/holes/air bubbles. I use a heat gun 90% of the time. Is there inconsistencies in scent throw/performance, too?! 

Other factors: I use CD wicks, mostly. I live in Los Angeles so the weather is usually on the warmer end, except in recent months. The people lighting my candles also live in LA. 

the only explanation I can tell myself is that maybe I’m overwicking & it’s burning through the oil quicker than the wax itself? But I’m new to this so I would appreciate any/all input! 

BTW, this doesn’t happen to ALL my candles, but it’s happened enough for me to be concerned.

thank you!

Edited by ambar

On 1/13/2021 at 12:02 PM, bfroberts said:

Have you tested yourself to see if their assessment is true?  

I do test them myself but I make half sized candles when testing (I poke a hole for wick testing) & they burn perfectly all the way through. But then it got me thinking .. should I be making full sized candles? Will that make a difference? It seems like a waste of wax, especially since I can reach full melt pool and get a sense of the hot throw with just a half-sized candle.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, TallTayl said:

It is possibly a wick issue. If too hot it can burn off scent more quickly with some fragrances. 

When burning do you smell mostly hot wax at that point? How deep is the melt pool? 

The times during testing I have experienced a weak scent throw, I didn’t smell wax it just smelled burnt? And I knew the wick must’ve been too big. Melt pool never exceeds 1/2 inch, but is usually about 1/4-1/2inch deep.

1 minute ago, ambar said:

The times during testing I have experienced a weak scent throw, I didn’t smell wax it just smelled burnt? And I knew the wick must’ve been too big. Melt pool never exceeds 1/2 inch, but is usually about 1/4-1/2inch deep.

Also, for reference, I am using 11oz straight sided Libby jars, 3.06” diameter, & CD 22 is the one that has given me most problems, but I’ve used up to CD 24 & thats worked perfectly (strangely enough)...

7 hours ago, ambar said:

I do test them myself but I make half sized candles when testing (I poke a hole for wick testing) & they burn perfectly all the way through. But then it got me thinking .. should I be making full sized candles? Will that make a difference? It seems like a waste of wax, especially since I can reach full melt pool and get a sense of the hot throw with just a half-sized candle.

Unfortunately testing half filled will not yield 100% accurate results. A candle burns differently at the top than it does further down when more heat is held inside the vessel. You should always test the product exactly as you are going to sell it, and test the entire candle from top to bottom. Also fully test any time any single element is changed....FO, wick, dye, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, ambar said:

Always test the final application as it would be going out the door.  The middle burns VERY different when started at the middle versus the top. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Unfortunately testing half filled will not yield 100% accurate results. A candle burns differently at the top than it does further down when more heat is held inside the vessel. You should always test the product exactly as you are going to sell it, and test the entire candle from top to bottom. Also fully test any time any single element is changed....FO, wick, dye, etc.

Dang I was trying to avoid this. Thankfully I have some good guesses on wick sizing for most of my candles, so I won’t have to make a million candles with a million different wicks. Thank you!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Always test the final application as it would be going out the door.  The middle burns VERY different when started at the middle versus the top. 

Okay, I figured as much. Thank you! I remember you’ve mentioned before the inconsistencies with 444 wax (craters, air bubbles, etc). do you think 444 has inconsistencies with wicking & performance, too? What’s your experience in regards to having to change the wicks batch per batch, for formulas you’ve already mastered?

5 hours ago, ambar said:

Okay, I figured as much. Thank you! I remember you’ve mentioned before the inconsistencies with 444 wax (craters, air bubbles, etc). do you think 444 has inconsistencies with wicking & performance, too? What’s your experience in regards to having to change the wicks batch per batch, for formulas you’ve already mastered?

I stopped using 444 because every case lot was like an entirely different wax. One would burn well while the next would need entirely different wicks just to stay lit. Sold hundreds of lbs for pennies on Craigslist to get rid of it. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I stopped using 444 because every case lot was like an entirely different wax. One would burn well while the next would need entirely different wicks just to stay lit. Sold hundreds of lbs for pennies on Craigslist to get rid of it. 

Ooooo I was worried you’d say that 😕 I guess I’ll finish this box & do a switch over to C-3, or back to paraffin :( 

thanks again!

9 hours ago, ambar said:

Ooooo I was worried you’d say that 😕 I guess I’ll finish this box & do a switch over to C-3, or back to paraffin :( 

thanks again!

Your luck may be different from mine and others in my soy generation.  🍀

c3 was a nice wax. C1 is also once you learn its quirks. 

• Thumbs Up 1