Ever made a candle and added the wicks later?

I’ve been thinking about this for a while for candles with long cure times, but today I encountered a new reason to try it. I was trying to pick a wick for a three wick candle and found the most likely wicks were too short, as in they didn’t stick up above the edge of the container. As they are long enough to be above the wax I decided I could add them later. It will be like a wickectomy, only there won’t be a wick to remove. If this works I may make some soy candles and put them away for a year or so. I can figure out the wicking when I get ready to burn them.

I do that all the time.......that is if I'm making and/or testing candles for myself.  If the particular pour/throw is acceptable, then I go thru the normal routine of adhering the wick to the container before I do the final pour

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Very possible. The hard part will be to really stick the wick tab after the wax has been poured as it leaves a residue.  

I don't think I need wick stickers on these. The wicks have burned out before the wax in the bottom has fully melted. You know I keep my wicks as small as possible.

• Like 1

I’ve noticed in a lot of the store bought candles I’ve used lately the wicks are not adhered and I have experienced some drift even in candles that were well wicked.  Obviously more likely with a hotter wick, but I’d rather be safe than sorry...different burning conditions, user error, yadda yadda.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I’ve noticed in a lot of the store bought candles I’ve used lately the wicks are not adhered and I have experienced some drift even in candles that were well wicked.  Obviously more likely with a hotter wick, but I’d rather be safe than sorry...different burning conditions, user error, yadda yadda.

If I was selling candles I would be obsessive about things like that, but I am very careful about burning my candles, I always put them on silicone and give them space. I suspect that the wick sticker raised the wick a little and insulated it, so I may get drift, but I'll be ready if I do. I had drift in a store bought candle a while back and it left the flame sitting on the glass, that's not safe.

• Like 1