Fragrance trends 2021

TallTayl

From a fragrance supplier:

Inspiring Trends in the New Reality
The global pandemic disrupted every aspect of our lives including the fragrance industry in more ways than we imagine. As consumers adjust to the new reality, we bring you the top trends that will be most influential shaping the fragrance industry in 2021 and beyond. Here’s a sneak peek into our curated predictions.

c89e6970-ebbf-46d1-a1f2-ba15008f250a.png
Essential Wellness

Holistic wellness and self-care will be a key focus and top of mind for consumers. With stress levels at an all-time high, consumers will shift back to trusted, safe, reliable fragrances for comfort. Consumers find clean, serene fragrances to be both soothing and reassuring.

Trendsetters: Colourpop, CND, Jo Malone

9a6549e1-82ba-4170-9b34-08b3c7f807b7.png
Conscious Fragrance

Consumers will be more deliberate with their spending and seek ethical, transparent, purposeful brands. While animal-derived ingredients have been phased out of perfumery, consumers are now more conscious of vegan fragrances and seeking products that explicitly calls this out. Vegan fragrances will include more woody, warm notes.

Trendsetters: Raw Sugar, Kiko, Otherland

b8a54f6a-47a5-4249-a185-ec3270aaca63.png
Reimagined Formats

Consumers have become more in tune with the environment and the waterless movement is powering some of the innovation behind solid formats with a reimagined look to captivate audiences. From fine fragrance to personal care products, brands are elevating solids providing opportunities in impactful scent delivery. Brands get playful while layering floral and citrus notes.

Trendsetters: CHANEL, Garnier, Diptyque
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

From a fragrance supplier:

Inspiring Trends in the New Reality
The global pandemic disrupted every aspect of our lives including the fragrance industry in more ways than we imagine. As consumers adjust to the new reality, we bring you the top trends that will be most influential shaping the fragrance industry in 2021 and beyond. Here’s a sneak peek into our curated predictions.

c89e6970-ebbf-46d1-a1f2-ba15008f250a.png
Essential Wellness

Holistic wellness and self-care will be a key focus and top of mind for consumers. With stress levels at an all-time high, consumers will shift back to trusted, safe, reliable fragrances for comfort. Consumers find clean, serene fragrances to be both soothing and reassuring.

Trendsetters: Colourpop, CND, Jo Malone

9a6549e1-82ba-4170-9b34-08b3c7f807b7.png
Conscious Fragrance

Consumers will be more deliberate with their spending and seek ethical, transparent, purposeful brands. While animal-derived ingredients have been phased out of perfumery, consumers are now more conscious of vegan fragrances and seeking products that explicitly calls this out. Vegan fragrances will include more woody, warm notes.

Trendsetters: Raw Sugar, Kiko, Otherland

b8a54f6a-47a5-4249-a185-ec3270aaca63.png
Reimagined Formats

Consumers have become more in tune with the environment and the waterless movement is powering some of the innovation behind solid formats with a reimagined look to captivate audiences. From fine fragrance to personal care products, brands are elevating solids providing opportunities in impactful scent delivery. Brands get playful while layering floral and citrus notes.

Trendsetters: CHANEL, Garnier, Diptyque

Thank you for sharing this TallTayl

I hope it doesn't go like this because I don't like clean fragrances. The fragrances that I use are very strong. I don't like the companies that sell scents that seem natural. For example candlescience clean scents I am not impressed with at all.  I don't like Northwood either because it remind me of clean Scents and no throw. I also make a lot of Bakery laundry fruit fragrances and I do not concentrate on nature fragrances as much. I do make all kinds but I hope it's not going this way because what am I going to do? We might have to sell stuff that we hate? People that I sell to like a lot of Bakery and they wanted very strong and they have never asked me if it's natural at all. This is a very good information that you have shared and I do appreciate it and I am checking it out to see what I need to do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, always interesting to see if market trends match my area.   I guess I'm not personally trendy, all I seem to want to smell is citrus.  This has been throughout 2020.  Every candle & melt I made for myself or bought was either straight citrus or it was the main scent.  Burning berry lemonade right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

Thank you for sharing this TallTayl

I hope it doesn't go like this because I don't like clean fragrances. The fragrances that I use are very strong. I don't like the companies that sell scents that seem natural. For example candlescience clean scents I am not impressed with at all.  I don't like Northwood either because it remind me of clean Scents and no throw. I also make a lot of Bakery laundry fruit fragrances and I do not concentrate on nature fragrances as much. I do make all kinds but I hope it's not going this way because what am I going to do? We might have to sell stuff that we hate? People that I sell to like a lot of Bakery and they wanted very strong and they have never asked me if it's natural at all. This is a very good information that you have shared and I do appreciate it and I am checking it out to see what I need to do.

My mantra is to make what I love to make and people of similar minds will continue to love my stuff. 

I gave up on trying to please trend followers. The herd mindset changes with a whim.

Make what I love in case I need to use the product myself to use it up :D 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Thanks for the info, always interesting to see if market trends match my area.   I guess I'm not personally trendy, all I seem to want to smell is citrus.  This has been throughout 2020.  Every candle & melt I made for myself or bought was either straight citrus or it was the main scent.  Burning berry lemonade right now.

I LOVE citrus scents too. I try others but always end up back with clean citrus notes.

• Like 1

Consumers will be more deliberate with their spending and seek ethical, transparent, purposeful brands. 

It‘d be interesting to know how many brands actually work ethically, transparently etc instead of just claiming to do so for a good image.

Thank you for sharing this!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ScentGalore said:

It‘d be interesting to know how many brands actually work ethically, transparently etc instead of just claiming to do so for a good image.

Thank you for sharing this!

I have often wondered the same. In the end, I run my business that way and treat my customers as well as I can. Most do notice and appreciate it! The harder I work at it, the luckier I seem to get ❤️🥰

• Like 3

That is an interesting article and it's good to be in the know but remember it is marketing and advertising. Is what they say really true or is it what they want to be true? You can't be sure but time and sales will tell. I don't buy into to all the "hype" they talk about. 🕯️

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Laura C said:

That is an interesting article and it's good to be in the know but remember it is marketing and advertising. Is what they say really true or is it what they want to be true? You can't be sure but time and sales will tell. I don't buy into to all the "hype" they talk about. 🕯️

My followers definitely fit neatly into many of their observations. Minimal packaging using solid formats has always been my niche. Sales of those items have measurably increased in recent months. Zero waste and vegan are both hot searches.

With increased online shopping, scents that people are already generally familiar with is a great lead in to growing them into new happy customers. Once they order, they become brave enough to try the weird fantasy blends that the existing base already loves. 

This past Holiday season items people sought out items with nostalgia and authenticity. Certain items I have made and sold for a decade brought more new customers than I have ever seen before. Online sales of those made up for the entire lost Faire season between Thanksgiving and Christmas - without having to sit at a fair grounds. 

Watching those brands identified in the OP, it is easy to decide what I want to focus on next to grow lines that make sense and are in demand. If the demand is already there half of the battle of selling them is already won.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...