Jump to content

Rules for Double Wicking


Recommended Posts

It’s not a rule, per se. It’s a guideline for some waxes and vessel types. I’ve successfully single wicked up to 4” wide on the right waxes.

 

double wicking is a new set of variables to work with, especially during the second half. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen a couple of people posting that (mis)info on FB, and it’s very misleading...in my opinion. What wax are you using?  Some are trickier than others, because certain waxes (6006 is one) tend to pool downward without creating a wide melt pool, but single wicking up to 3.5” still isn’t that difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I have seen a couple of people posting that (mis)info on FB, and it’s very misleading...in my opinion. What wax are you using?  Some are trickier than others, because certain waxes (6006 is one) tend to pool downward without creating a wide melt pool, but single wicking up to 3.5” still isn’t that difficult.

I'm planning on using Pro-blend 600 Para-Soy wax. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I'm currently playing with the ProBlend 600 and I'm having great results with Zinc wicks and large Salsa Jars which are 3" in diameter. I single wick with a 51Z and use a 8-9% FO load.

Great info! Thanks Lizzy. I always use ECO wicks, maybe I should give zinc wicks a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Problems is soft and you should be able to wick with one wick. If you are going the double wick route, make a candle half full and test double wicks in bottom. Double wicks will burn very fast bottom half of candle.

Uhhh! Didn't think about this. Thanks for the tip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lilo said:

I'm planning on using Pro-blend 600 Para-Soy wax. 

I’ve been testing that wax and you shouldn’t have any problem single wicking up to 3.5”, maybe even larger. I just haven’t tried anything larger than that yet.  It’s actually been surprisingly easy to wick this wax, in my limited experience.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two rules for double wicking

1. Don't put the wicks too close to the edge because your container will get too hot.

2. Don't put the wicks too to each other or it will tunnel

I'm pretty sure that any time the wicks are far enough from the edge they are too close to each other, but that isn't a rule, so just ignore that part and keep trying.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lilo said:

Great info! Thanks Lizzy. I always use ECO wicks, maybe I should give zinc wicks a try.

Zinc wicks are great. They do tend to mushroom a bit more but it's worth it IMO.
 

I've had good luck with Eco wicks in Candlewic's CBL 130 so they may work in the PB600 too. I just haven't tried them yet. :)
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I’ve been testing that wax and you shouldn’t have any problem single wicking up to 3.5”, maybe even larger. I just haven’t tried anything larger than that yet.  It’s actually been surprisingly easy to wick this wax, in my limited experience.

I agree with it being easy to wick. I was pleasantly surprised. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, bfroberts said:

I have seen a couple of people posting that (mis)info on FB, and it’s very misleading...in my opinion. What wax are you using?  Some are trickier than others, because certain waxes (6006 is one) tend to pool downward without creating a wide melt pool, but single wicking up to 3.5” still isn’t that difficult.

Any advice for double wicking a 4.5inch container that’s 2.5inches tall with IGI 6006? I’m just playing around with this wax for the first time & ive tried triple wicking CD 6, CD 8, & ECO 1, but I assume it’s been too hot because after an hour, the wicks get dim (drowning?) and they start tilting (the downward pooling vs widening melt pool is annoying). P.s. Candle Science says triple wick with CD 4 but I don’t have that, so I’m hoping double wicking would work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ambar said:

Any advice for double wicking a 4.5inch container that’s 2.5inches tall with IGI 6006? I’m just playing around with this wax for the first time & ive tried triple wicking CD 6, CD 8, & ECO 1, but I assume it’s been too hot because after an hour, the wicks get dim (drowning?) and they start tilting (the downward pooling vs widening melt pool is annoying). P.s. Candle Science says triple wick with CD 4 but I don’t have that, so I’m hoping double wicking would work.

How long are you curing before burning?  It needs several days minimum. 
I would try 3 Eco 2’s.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ambar said:

Cured about 8 days.

It’ll continue to harden more over time. I’d go w/ triple Eco 2’s, not placed too close together.

I’ve heard new batches of 6006 may have changed. If you’ve got some of that, I don’t know how it will wick.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

It’ll continue to harden more over time. I’d go w/ triple Eco 2’s, not placed too close together.

I’ve heard new batches of 6006 may have changed. If you’ve got some of that, I don’t know how it will wick.  

Ok thank you! I’ll let it sit for 2 weeks beginning today. It was very soft.

 

Are there any particular guidelines for triple wicking? My wicks were performing excellent first 30 minutes and then began to drown out. Should I be reaching a full melt pool in a triple wicked candle quicker than single wicked?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...