Cargill Elite

I recently got a sample of Cargill Elite 200. There are not many suppliers of this wax and info is a bit scarcer to find. I did a search here and it didn’t turn up a whole bunch either. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this soy/palm blend? 

Also is cure time roughly the same as with most soy waxes? I’m assuming wicking is on the higher end? I’m going to do a naked test pour later on and it’s a bit daunting to dive in blind but I’ll take good notes 😆.

I’m not sure if it requires a cure? It is ROCK hard. Seems like a whole lotta palm and not too much soy. I love the glass pull-away!

Just for the hell of it I poured a 9 oz straight sided with 8% Christmas Hearth (CS) and an HTP62. I lit this after 24hrs because I was curious if I could with any effect. 
Great cold throw! Okayish hot throw considering I just made it but I’ll cure next time to see if it makes a difference.

There is a lot of buildup on my wick after 3 hours. The wax is a bit more discolored than I’m used to seeing so I’m not sure if it’s the wick, the fo, or the wax yet. The wick had that white hot tip and I forget at the moment what that means—is it incomplete combustion? No mushroom, just gunk. Wondering if I should wick up or down but I’ll see where this goes.

E72B0C81-81BE-4D68-87CC-60038D867B67.jpeg

45998356-E448-42D0-8D9A-8574D0A5FED8.jpeg

FCE06ADE-D4C2-451B-BEEC-D7C8C06F6A63.jpeg

84E8376E-CC72-4FD9-B478-CA5921703708.jpeg

545F46C6-BF6D-439E-8CE4-C0E7788B0F62.jpeg

1 hour ago, sarahmarah said:

I’m not sure if it requires a cure? It is ROCK hard. Seems like a whole lotta palm and not too much soy. I love the glass pull-away!

Just for the hell of it I poured a 9 oz straight sided with 8% Christmas Hearth (CS) and an HTP62. I lit this after 24hrs because I was curious if I could with any effect. 
Great cold throw! Okayish hot throw considering I just made it but I’ll cure next time to see if it makes a difference.

There is a lot of buildup on my wick after 3 hours. The wax is a bit more discolored than I’m used to seeing so I’m not sure if it’s the wick, the fo, or the wax yet. The wick had that white hot tip and I forget at the moment what that means—is it incomplete combustion? No mushroom, just gunk. Wondering if I should wick up or down but I’ll see where this goes.

E72B0C81-81BE-4D68-87CC-60038D867B67.jpeg

45998356-E448-42D0-8D9A-8574D0A5FED8.jpeg

FCE06ADE-D4C2-451B-BEEC-D7C8C06F6A63.jpeg

84E8376E-CC72-4FD9-B478-CA5921703708.jpeg

545F46C6-BF6D-439E-8CE4-C0E7788B0F62.jpeg

can you give a burn update after a normal "cure"? I find cargill waxes get harder and harder over time. CUrious what this blend does.  From what I have read it is a C1 equivalent with other palm based additives.

• Like 1

I have played with this wax. It’s very hard hahah you need a hammer to break it apart. Containers it will shrink.

good for opaque in summer or tins. Could be use for pillars I think. The appearance is nice on the wax very smooth.

if you are doing outdoor events summer this is a decent wax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

I have played with this wax. It’s very hard hahah you need a hammer to break it apart. Containers it will shrink.

good for opaque in summer or tins. Could be use for pillars I think. The appearance is nice on the wax very smooth.

if you are doing outdoor events summer this is a decent wax.

Thanks for the heads up!

Was there a particular wick series that you had luck with? I’m playing with HTP’s right now. I’m making this wax my project and after dealing with C3 problems for a while I’m just kind of thrilled that it’s poured well so far. 

5 hours ago, NightLight said:

I can’t remember which wick series I used. I didn’t like the pull away for what I was working on.

I would try CD’s with this as it’s so hard. Maybe cut the wax with some coconut oil if it’s hard to burn.

Thank you—I just got a sample of C&S coconut so I may blend with that once I get an idea of what I’m working with.

I was thinking CDN’s might be worth a try?

I have never used this wax but I do have experience using palm. I would definite try several wick series to test out starting with CSN, RRD, CD, and Cotton Core. Palm gets rock hard and that's normal. It also burns different than other waxes so you need a wick that can handle palm. Don't be fooled by the hardness thinking you don't need to cure. Palm needs several days to cure otherwise it won't burn properly or scent as well uncured. I cure my palm candles for a minimum of 3 days to a week. Most FOs work great in palm and some I can even lower the fragrance load % from 6 to 5 or even 3% for some strong scents. 

One year I didn't have enough palm so I mixed it with soy to be able to get all my candles done. The palm/soy blend worked out quite nice but I found even 5% soy mixed with palm will kill the beautiful crystal pattern but still make a strong scented hard wax candle that burned similar to straight palm. I even used the same wicks, CSNs.

I prefer the beautiful crystal patterns my glass glow palm makes so I stick with that. I only did the palm/soy blend the year I lost my job and couldn't afford to buy enough palm so mixed it with some soy wax I had. Worked out fine that year. Beautiful wax to work with, scents nicely and burns great with the right wick.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 5:57 PM, ellajoan said:

Would you say the HT is better w/ C1 vs the Elite?  I love C1 but now that CSN wicks are impossible to find, thinking of trying the Elite.  Also, how messy is the cleanup with the Elite?  Is the wax harder than the C1?

I haven't tried the C1 yet but Elite is very hard—brittle even. I’m a lazy new wax tester (hobbyist) I’ve only tested one candle with it and it was severely under wicked but the HT was still good considering. The candle did crack in the container. Seems like a potentially good wax to blend with. I put the project on the shelf for a bit.