CS Mistletoe replacement?

Paintguru

So I'm nearing the end of my stock of CS Mistletoe (pre-reformulation), and I'm wondering what to do next.  Based on the reviews on CS, the newly reformulated Mistletoe is not the same as the one I have.  Has anyone found a suitable replacement?  I know a bunch of other suppliers have "Mistletoe" fragrances, but I'm not sure if any are similar to the old CS one.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, soshiegirl said:

I'm hanging on to my last bit of Mistletoe as well.  If you have enough oil left, you might consider sending it off to Julie from soapingsupply.com.  She dupes scents.

Interesting idea.  Does anyone have experience using Julie to dupe fragrances?  I'd hate to be stuck with 7 lbs. of FO that is not useful.  

On 12/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, Paintguru said:

Interesting idea.  Does anyone have experience using Julie to dupe fragrances?  I'd hate to be stuck with 7 lbs. of FO that is not useful.  

I've purchased quite a few of her duplicated oils and they are spot on.  Her website (https://soapingsupply.com/fragrance-duplicationhttps://soapingsupply.com/fragrance-duplication) mentions that they molecular clone the scents.  I'm about to send her several oils to duplicate because they are no longer available.  

On 12/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, soshiegirl said:

I've purchased quite a few of her duplicated oils and they are spot on.  Her website (https://soapingsupply.com/fragrance-duplicationhttps://soapingsupply.com/fragrance-duplication) mentions that they molecular clone the scents.  I'm about to send her several oils to duplicate because they are no longer available.  

I wonder if Julie just sends them to AFI for dupes? They offer that service for free afaik 

• 9 months later...

We have been using CS Mistletoe for years. We just received a new order not knowing they had changed anything. We don’t notice a difference. We have tested it with our new wicks and it’s great! 
On a separate note, candle

cacoons Winter Wonderland Whisper smells exactly like CS mistletoe (OOB). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Thanks!  I will try again with Candlescience and see if it works the same as before with my soy/wick.

Otherwise, good to know there is another option.

GoldieMN

Of course! I read the reviews on CS website and not sure what happened but the one we received last week is the same we always purchased from them. It’s really strange though they would send out a new formula, not tell anyone, then switch it back. Transparency is so important. I wish organizations would understand this. 

• Like 2

Okay this is one my absolute favorites of all time -I stocked up before the announcement of changing over to all Phthalate free-  has it changed that much really?…..

back in the day Moonworks pinion pine was exactly the same to my nose, not sure if PFO Carries that one since the buyout but I will have to check 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 10:50 AM, moonshine said:

Okay this is one my absolute favorites of all time -I stocked up before the announcement of changing over to all Phthalate free-  has it changed that much really?…..

back in the day Moonworks pinion pine was exactly the same to my nose, not sure if PFO Carries that one since the buyout but I will have to check 

We are burning our small jar in mistletoe as we speak and I can smell it from the kitchen to living room. Just like it always has. I don't know what happened at candle science but I wonder if they packaged the wrong scent and shipped it out without explanation. We had not ordered Mistletoe since 2015 and the only change we notice is that the bottle says "clean" and is phthalate free but no other noticeable changes to us. 

Let us know your experience! Looking at the reviews it seems people are happy with their latest shipments. 

Best - Nichole 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CS Mistletoe has most definitely changed and not for the better. So any old bottle you have or any ones you ordered that still smell the same are not the new reformulated one. The reformulated one smells nothing like the old one. I now have a couple of lbs of the newly reformulated one that I can't use because of that. I am so disappointed because that was my absolute favorite Christmas type scent. 

Will have to check out Candle Cocoon and PFO. I don't remember seeing Pinion Pine at PFO but will check it out anyway.

Candle Cocoon still carries the Winter Wonderland Whisper. PFO does not carry Pinion Pine but they do have Smokey Mountain Christmas. I have used this one before and it is a strong pine christmas tree scent you may like. Difference is it has mint notes and does not list eucalyptus which is what Mistletoe had in it.

FB also does MW dupes so will check them out to see what they have and report back.

FB carries two evergreen types: Balsam Cedar and MW Winter Wonderland. The latter is a Conifer. Both FO's each have the highest review ratings of 5 stars if that helps. But I don't think either are subs for CS Mistletoe, just good FOs that are different evergreen types.

WSP has Crafter's Choice Mistletoe. Don't know if this is the same but it also has a high rating of 5 stars and is a pine scent. They claim it's comparable to Yankee Candle's Mistletoe. Is that the same? I never smelled Yankee's so not sure. If so, here is a good alternative.

Edited by Candybee

18 minutes ago, Candybee said:

CS Mistletoe has most definitely changed and not for the better. So any old bottle you have or any ones you ordered that still smell the same are not the new reformulated one. The reformulated one smells nothing like the old one. I now have a couple of lbs of the newly reformulated one that I can't use because of that. I am so disappointed because that was my absolute favorite Christmas type scent. 

Will have to check out Candle Cocoon and PFO. I don't remember seeing Pinion Pine at PFO but will check it out anyway.

Hi Candybee! How long ago did you order it? We ordered mistletoe recently from CS and it's exactly the same as it has always been. We have burned it as well and it's the same thing which I was very happy since I didn't know they had changed anything. The bottle is a little different and it does say "clean" on it but other than that it's the exact same one we have been ordering for years.  

Candle Cacoon will be a great alternative if you don't want to take a change on CS. Looks like we will have to use Candle Cacoon as CS Mistletoe is out of stock until 12/6 (according to their website). We are running into a lot of delays with the supply shortages. 

Hopefully CS has fixed whatever issue they had with mistletoe. Reading the reviews, it sounds like they mislabeled something. Either way, very frustrating, especially if they weren't upfront about it. 

Happy Candle Making!

Thanks! I don't want the mislabeled mistletoe. Sounds like that's what the problem was. Reading reviews....looks like this occurred from late 2020 into 2021. We just purchased our CS mistletoe order this month and thankfully it's exactly like the old one we used for years from 2008-2015. 

We are going to test Candle Cacoon Winter Wonderland Whisper this week so we have a back up. We have an order to fill for 200 Mistletoe!!! These shortages are stressing us out!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, soylights said:

Thanks! I don't want the mislabeled mistletoe. Sounds like that's what the problem was. Reading reviews....looks like this occurred from late 2020 into 2021. We just purchased our CS mistletoe order this month and thankfully it's exactly like the old one we used for years from 2008-2015. 

We are going to test Candle Cacoon Winter Wonderland Whisper this week so we have a back up. We have an order to fill for 200 Mistletoe!!! These shortages are stressing us out!

Believe me I spent quite a lot of time going over my Mistletoe purchase with CS. I too thought the same thing, they had sent me a mislabeled bottle and told them so as it smelled nothing like the old. I was able to get them to send me another bottle to replace my last order of Mistletoe. I waited hoping it had all been a big mistake and I would finally get the one I was familiar with. It finally arrived but it was the same one as my last two purchased. Smelled nothing like the Mistletoe I loved but instead just like the last two bottles I had purchased on separate occasions over the past year. So I now have a third bottle of Mistletoe that was carefully checked by the CS team and it did not smell anything like the old one but did smell like the others. 

So it wasn't a case of being mislabeled. After receiving 3 bottles that smell nothing like the old Mistletoe but exactly like the newly reformulated Mistletoe you can see why I am not willing to try a fourth. I am looking for a replacement as well as a few other newly reformulated FOs from CS. Mistletoe is not the only reformulated FO that has completely changed for me, others I have been using for soaping now behave quite differently as the components have been changed out. I have a business to run and can't be spending my time and money on FOs that no longer behave or smell the same in either my candles, soap, or bath & body products.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Believe me I spent quite a lot of time going over my Mistletoe purchase with CS. I too thought the same thing, they had sent me a mislabeled bottle and told them so as it smelled nothing like the old. I was able to get them to send me another bottle to replace my last order of Mistletoe. I waited hoping it had all been a big mistake and I would finally get the one I was familiar with. It finally arrived but it was the same one as my last two purchased. Smelled nothing like the Mistletoe I loved but instead just like the last two bottles I had purchased on separate occasions over the past year. So I now have a third bottle of Mistletoe that was carefully checked by the CS team and it did not smell anything like the old one but did smell like the others. 

So it wasn't a case of being mislabeled. After receiving 3 bottles that smell nothing like the old Mistletoe but exactly like the newly reformulated Mistletoe you can see why I am not willing to try a fourth. I am looking for a replacement as well as a few other newly reformulated FOs from CS. Mistletoe is not the only reformulated FO that has completely changed for me, others I have been using for soaping now behave quite differently as the components have been changed out. I have a business to run and can't be spending my time and money on FOs that no longer behave or smell the same in either my candles, soap, or bath & body products.

So frustrating! I am sorry that happened. I really wish these companies were more transparent. I guess we just got lucky. Definitely hesitant to order from them again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soylights said:

So frustrating! I am sorry that happened. I really wish these companies were more transparent. I guess we just got lucky. Definitely hesitant to order from them again. 

Oh I still order a few of the FOs that continue to work for me. I won't be ordering the Mistletoe or a few others thou.

It occurred to me that they might have a few bottles of the old Mistletoe left that they pulled out to fill orders. Or even possibly some were left at one factory. IDK. It makes no sense to me that you got the old the one but I kept getting the new one. It even occurred to me that some could have been the old Merrry Mistletoe? they carried and were mislabled. This is just conjecture as I don't know what is going on at their warehouse. But what I was sent was not even an evergreen/pine type scent. The old mistletoe was very strong and distinctive pine and fir needle with eucalyptus in it. What I was sent smells like berries with wood notes and some other non-distinct notes.