This was not supposed to happen

Summer before last I made my Christmas candles with 6006 so that they could have six months to cure. Last Christmas this candle burned perfectly in in the same environment as this candle is burning today. The only variable is a year’s extra cure time. On the plus side the HT is excellent. The FO is Falling Leaves. Also the candle has turned a little brown. I found another candle from the same batch, but a different FO, it will be interesting to see if the same thing happens.  

IMG_2741.jpg

So with this being said... if the same thing happens to the other candle... how should one ultimately wick? 

I'm thinking the answer is "for now / 6 months / 1 year from now".

But, what would work now for that candle would have been too big in the beginning. 

Always something I guess.  

Hi Forrest,

Now that you have experience you should make your own parasoy. I know its a pain, but you will be a the mercy of variables in 6006.

You will have to retest but it wont be as brutal now that you know what to do from experience.

Hahaha I hate all the waxes.

464 remain very close to when it was freshly made.  464 did not had problem like 6006 above.  It dried up little bit (just little), but I haven't notice too much difference on hardness.  One of my 464 is actually getting close being 3 years old now.

3 hours ago, BusyBee said:

464 burns almost same after 2 years.  

Somehow I don't like 6006.  Original developer of 6006 Dussek Campbell sold that formula to IGI long time ago.  No wonder why they sold it.

Yes, but I believe it has the best HT you can get, if you're willing to wait that long. I have some 464 that I'm thinking about making some candles without wicks. I'll use my apple corer and ice pick to add wicks in a couple of years

3 hours ago, NightLight said:

Hi Forrest,

Now that you have experience you should make your own parasoy. I know its a pain, but you will be a the mercy of variables in 6006.

You will have to retest but it wont be as brutal now that you know what to do from experience.

Hahaha I hate all the waxes.

I've switched to 4627, but I have a good supply of 6006 I need to use up. I may use it make a bunch of tins with no wicks. I can store them for a year or two and add the wicks later.

Hey!  Can we charge more money for aging our candles like fine wine or aged steak?  😉

The thing that bothered me most about 6006 is melt pool shape.  I am getting concave shape melt pool with 6006, and middle of melt pool near the wick gets really deep but outer edge still stays shallow.  Is that only me or do you notice similar melt pool with your 6006?  All other waxes I have tried create flat melt pool except 6006.

Picture1.png.c67b713a065228974800135ef6b16719.png

12 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Hey!  Can we charge more money for aging our candles like fine wine or aged steak?  😉

The thing that bothered me most about 6006 is melt pool shape.  I am getting concave shape melt pool with 6006, and middle of melt pool near the wick gets really deep but outer edge still stays shallow.  Is that only me or do you notice similar melt pool with your 6006?  All other waxes I have tried create flat melt pool except 6006.

I used to worry about that, but if you wick it right you get a nice wall of wax on the sides that will melt eventually. That wax helps your HT. It used to drive me crazy because by the time I got a FMP the wax had melted to the bottom.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Exactly. I love this pic for reference.

The MP shape is why I don’t like HTP wicks for those waxes. More tendency to lean because the MP is deeper around the wick, although they do burn very well.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic about aging wax. I had a container of 4630 well sealed sitting in my studio for almost a year. Can I tell you that wax solidified so much I couldn’t even dig out anything with a spoon. I couldn’t get it out of plastic container to reuse the container, so out with the fish with that wax!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

that explains how different all of our results are with IGI as part of blends.

@pughausand I compare notes and have remarkably different candles using the same ingredients.  Those IGI polymers must have a wicked aging curve.

some 4630 i received was rubbery. Some was smooshable.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

that explains how different all of our results are with IGI as part of blends.

@pughausand I compare notes and have remarkably different candles using the same ingredients.  Those IGI polymers must have a wicked aging curve.

some 4630 i received was rubbery. Some was smooshable.

Sounds like I need to look for a paraffin that isn't IGI 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I lit my other candle from the same batch, different FO, and it is burning like a champ. Now I'm really confused. The two candles were made at the same time with the same wax and stored in the same place. One burns just like it did last fall and the other one looks very underwicked. I had 6006 from two different orders and one may have been made with the old wax and the other with the new. The new wax was a little darker and firmer, perhaps IGI added something different to it.

17 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Well, I lit my other candle from the same batch, different FO, and it is burning like a champ. Now I'm really confused. The two candles were made at the same time with the same wax and stored in the same place. One burns just like it did last fall and the other one looks very underwicked. I had 6006 from two different orders and one may have been made with the old wax and the other with the new. The new wax was a little darker and firmer, perhaps IGI added something different to it.

Frustrating!

could also be a chemical reaction between that particular FO and the wax.  Some FO are just cloggers. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Frustrating!

could also be a chemical reaction between that particular FO and the wax.  Some FO are just cloggers. 

Some FOs leave an orange residue on my tins, Falling Leaves is one of those. I suppose if candle making was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

• Thumbs Up 1