Hot throw issues

What would the best wick for using igi6006 in a 2.5 sm ooth side jar? I'm new to candle making and have purchased SEVERAL wicks. I was recommended 2 different size zinc wicks from our local candle supplier which mushroomed ALOT! I purchased some wicks from Amazon which had great hot and cold throw. ECO 8 and CD 10 I purchased from Candle Science had huge flickering flames and ECO8 had soot. I tried them without FO to see how it would burn. All the tutorials and websites I have been on all say trial and error and buy several sizes wicks. It's frustrating having to spend alot of money to find that most you can't use. Candle Science site recommended ECO 2 wick size, but after looking on YouTube, alot of candle makers using the same size jar as me use ECO 8 and CD 10. OMG, this is FRUSTRATING!!! Can anyone help me out before I place ANOTHER order online tonight for MORE WICKS!!! Maybe going down in size may help.....but I don't know!?!!!

Thanks in advance!!

• Mind Blown 1

37 minutes ago, newbiz2017 said:

What would the best wick for using igi6006 in a 2.5 sm ooth side jar? I'm new to candle making and have purchased SEVERAL wicks. I was recommended 2 different size zinc wicks from our local candle supplier which mushroomed ALOT! I purchased some wicks from Amazon which had great hot and cold throw. ECO 8 and CD 10 I purchased from Candle Science had huge flickering flames and ECO8 had soot. I tried them without FO to see how it would burn. All the tutorials and websites I have been on all say trial and error and buy several sizes wicks. It's frustrating having to spend alot of money to find that most you can't use. Candle Science site recommended ECO 2 wick size, but after looking on YouTube, alot of candle makers using the same size jar as me use ECO 8 and CD 10. OMG, this is FRUSTRATING!!! Can anyone help me out before I place ANOTHER order online tonight for MORE WICKS!!! Maybe going down in size may help.....but I don't know!?!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Trust the supplier.  Buy the recommended size plus one size up and one size down to compare, or buy a sample pack.  Don't believe anything you see on YouTube or FB unless it's from a reputable supplier like Candle Science.  Most people have no idea what a successful candle looks like.  Eco 8 is crazy big for a jar that size.  Is it a jelly jar?  If so, Eco 2 works, sometimes Eco 1.  Also, 6006 needs to cure.  You will not get a good burn if it's freshly poured.  Wait at least a week, ideally 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I split this into a new topic to get it the attention it needs.

6006 needs a pretty conservative wick from what I have seen. A 2.5” wide jar will be much smaller than those YouTube and Facebook groups recommend. Holy fireballs on those recs.

trust @bfroberts 100% on the recs. And stick around here for a while to pick up the mastermind tips for great performing candles. This is not a cheap hobby at all, but you can cut your outlay with smart wick choices and systematic testing. 

best of luck in your journey. 

Well!  There are more than 50 different wicks that we can purchase in US, and many of us have tried them all.  And many of us are always searching for something better outside of US.

If my memory is correct, then I believe many people are happy with HTP for 6006.  We have many other 6006 experts here, and they might join here for better recommendations.

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the melt pool shape 6006 creates.  Most other waxes form flat melt pool, but 6006 creates concave shape melt pool.  I don't like deep melt pool in any candle, and middle of 6006 melt pool gets really deep while outer edge is shallow.  

Good luck to you!

With 6006 I've been lucky with Cranberry Apple Marmalade in a 12 ounce Mason jar and Peppermint Eucalyptus in a 12 ounce straight sided Libbey tumbler.  Both using HTP83 at 7% FO and cured for about a month. The FO's were from Candle Science. They each (at separate times) filled up a 12x14 bedroom and drifted into adjoining rooms. I was extremely surprised.

However, lavender didn't do as well with the HTP83. 73 and 93 didn't cut it either. 

I just happened to pour them in those containers because that's what I had at the time. I'm pretty confident though with that approximate size container diameter and that wax to wick combination.

I just poured 12 testers (6 of each scent) in 8 ounce jelly jars at 6% to test as well. May need to wick down to an HTP73. We'll see what happens when the time comes. I may get some 12 ounce jelly jars and try those as well with the HTP83 again. 

On 11/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, bfroberts said:

Trust the supplier.  Buy the recommended size plus one size up and one size down to compare, or buy a sample pack.  Don't believe anything you see on YouTube or FB unless it's from a reputable supplier like Candle Science.  Most people have no idea what a successful candle looks like.  Eco 8 is crazy big for a jar that size.  Is it a jelly jar?  If so, Eco 2 works, sometimes Eco 1.  Also, 6006 needs to cure.  You will not get a good burn if it's freshly poured.  Wait at least a week, ideally 2.

Would you mind sharing where you purchase your Eco’s from? I’ve been using the Flaming Candle for Eco’s and cannot get them to work with 6006 for the life of me! 

Edited by dustinryan2010
Wrong company

20 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Would you mind sharing where you purchase your Eco’s from? I’ve been using the Flaming Candle for Eco’s and cannot get them to work with 6006 for the life of me! 

I’ve used CS, Northstar, Flaming and they are all the same. The only ones I didn’t care for were from Bittercreek, and those burned fine but they were primed differently.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I’ve used CS, Northstar, Flaming and they are all the same. The only ones I didn’t care for were from Bittercreek, and those burned fine but they were primed differently.

Agreed. I found many wicks from BC were “floppy” compared to other suppliers. Fine with rigid waxes like palm, but detrimental in soft waxes as they leaned all the way from the tab when  The candle warmed up during a burn. Even soy gets sludgy which resulted in an off center wick the entire height of the candle if not careful

6 hours ago, newbiz2017 said:

What wicks do you prefer for 6006? CD, ECO or Zinc. Most ppl say they like HTP but they are sold out or discontinued.

I like HTP, and they will be back just with a different yarn type, not going away forever. Well, CandleScience might not carry them anymore but everywhere else probably will.

14 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Thanks for the feed back! I’ve been trying to get them to work in 6006 and CBL130. Smoke galore for some reason, even with an Eco 1! Not sure why they misbehave for me 😩

1 minute ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Thanks for the feed back! I’ve been trying to get them to work in 6006 and CBL130. Smoke galore for some reason, even with an Eco 1! Not sure why they misbehave for me 😩

If you don't have the most recent batches of CBL-130 then HTP worked good for me, self-trimmed nice with around size 83 at 8% load and a drop of dye in 8oz tins. Unfortunately the new stuff I got recently is unusable.

4 minutes ago, ErronB said:

If you don't have the most recent batches of CBL-130 then HTP worked good for me, self-trimmed nice with around size 83 at 8% load and a drop of dye in 8oz tins. Unfortunately the new stuff I got recently is unusable.

I have a 5 pound slab from about 5 or 6 months ago! I’ll have to try the HTP’s. I really do love them the best in 6006 too, hate the uneven melt pools though. I also noticed your comment above, are HTP’s being redesigned or something? 

6 minutes ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I have a 5 pound slab from about 5 or 6 months ago! I’ll have to try the HTP’s. I really do love them the best in 6006 too, hate the uneven melt pools though. I also noticed your comment above, are HTP’s being redesigned or something? 

You should be good then (with the 130)

HTP are going through a change because they are using a different type of yarn (coz of supply issues). I know the new stuff is out there I've seen some on Aztec but I haven't tested it yet so I don't know how different it burns.

9 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

That’s unfortunate.  I used them exclusively with CBL130. Nothing else even comes close to burning as well for me.  They do have to be the correct size. Even one size off can be ugly.  BUT since @ErronB so kindly warned of the current batch being unusable, I haven’t bought any more of that wax. They may not work at all if the wax has changed.