The Cost of Covid

MilosCandles

This time last year I basically had 2 fullish time people working for me and 3-4 other people stopping by when they could to help out.  It is SO much more difficult this year.  I had to re-think the product I want to sell, and how I am going to keep up.  I went from having over 125 "Customized" candles on Etsy to 25 NON customized ones.   I have done this on Amazon as well.  For now my website still has most customized candles, but I for see me taking that list down to 25 as well.

I have a few stay at home parents come over during the day to help out.  Because of Covid, their kids are only in school part time, so they can only work when they are at school.  Plus I try to limit people working with each other. 

Buffalo, NY is on the edge of being shutdown again as our Covid numbers keep increasing.  Many schools in the area have already gone to full remote learning. The little help I do have may be cut even more.  My online orders are way up this year and it is just sad to have to limit my line cause I can not get the help.  Fortunately I work out of my house so my overhead is low.  I think of all these little gift shops I am in and they may be shutdown again in the next week.  A time of year that generates most of the money they need to live off for the next year.  I suspect many of them will be closed once life resumes back to a new normal .

• Sad 1

I feel you. Our school district has been remote 100% since March. Simplifying the line has made my operation a whole lot more profitable in the long run.  Reformulating beauty products and wax products due to COVID supply chain disruptions is getting old though. 

The thought of all the little shops struggling when they should be ramping up for the holiday season breaks my heart. We are in IL, south of the WI border.  We are surrounded on all sides by full hospitals. I keep telling my menagerie of house and farm animals they had better not hurt me because there's no room at the inn. I am the only thing standing between them and a dinner plate, so play nice, lol.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1