Just Scent: "Marshmallows By The Fireside" vs "Fireside Type" (as in Slatkin) vs "Bonfire" and then there's FB "Woodsmoke...

wild4waxmelts

Hey all,

I wish I had one of those "spin the arrow" board from those old-school board games.

Looking for the most realistic smoky note (which sort of excludes the Marshmallow blends but there's always the exception to add a nice, subtle smoky note to many of the fall/winter/seasonal scents.

Example: Just Scents "Freshest Balsam" is one of if not THE best "Christmas Tree" aka pine, fir, birch woodsy spruce scents. https://www.justscent.com/fresh-balsam-fragrance-oil.html

I had a sample of JS Bonfire https://www.justscent.com/bonfire-fragrance-oil.html which I added a few drops to and it was amazing. Yet....then I thought maybe it needed a smidgen of sweetness, but not a full-on Marshmallow Fluff burnt sugar suffocater.

Suggestions? Seems like suddenly many scents are out of stock, coming soon, etc....but I want it yesterday LOL

Also: Just Scent "Christmas Wish" sold out a few days now....any dupes? https://www.justscent.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies-christmas-wish-fragrance-oil.html

Thanks,

Karen

I have a few smoky-type fragrance oils.

I'd be more than happy to mail you some "sniffie" samples, if you like. Just let me know.🙂

I have...

Smoke (Premium) - Wellington

Campfire (Premium) - Wellington (Smells similar to JS Bonfire in my opinion)

Marshmallow Fireside Type - Indigo

Fireside Slatskin Type - Save On Scents

By the Campfire - Rustic Escentuals

Bonfire Bliss - Rustic Escentuals

Woodsmoke - Fragrance Buddy

Firewood - The Flaming Candle

Campfire - The Flaming Candle

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm so new here that I wasn't even sure the question was appropriate to ask being is so specific. I appreciate the feedback and absolutely no negativity (sorry; I'm jaded by all the DramaRama out there; I run two FB groups and It's a constant at times).

Dreamer: I've tried JS Bonfire, but I totally forgot that I have a sample bottle of FB Woodsmoke. Thanks so much for offering the "Sniffie samples!" Can you define that, literally, so I understand and can offer the same in return please?

TallTayl: I've never heard of SweetCakes. That's my biggest deficit: I've really only bought from JS and FB. It's time to branch out and grow!

I'll keep you posted, and thank you again,

Karen

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, wild4waxmelts said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm so new here that I wasn't even sure the question was appropriate to ask being is so specific. I appreciate the feedback and absolutely no negativity (sorry; I'm jaded by all the DramaRama out there; I run two FB groups and It's a constant at times).

Dreamer: I've tried JS Bonfire, but I totally forgot that I have a sample bottle of FB Woodsmoke. Thanks so much for offering the "Sniffie samples!" Can you define that, literally, so I understand and can offer the same in return please?

TallTayl: I've never heard of SweetCakes. That's my biggest deficit: I've really only bought from JS and FB. It's time to branch out and grow!

I'll keep you posted, and thank you again,

Karen

We may be old fashioned here on or own platform, but we do keep a nice, friendly house ❤️ We all come here to learn together and escape the craycray. 

enjoy your new smell adventures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2020 at 8:39 PM, wild4waxmelts said:

Hey all,

I wish I had one of those "spin the arrow" board from those old-school board games.

Looking for the most realistic smoky note (which sort of excludes the Marshmallow blends but there's always the exception to add a nice, subtle smoky note to many of the fall/winter/seasonal scents.

Example: Just Scents "Freshest Balsam" is one of if not THE best "Christmas Tree" aka pine, fir, birch woodsy spruce scents. https://www.justscent.com/fresh-balsam-fragrance-oil.html

I had a sample of JS Bonfire https://www.justscent.com/bonfire-fragrance-oil.html which I added a few drops to and it was amazing. Yet....then I thought maybe it needed a smidgen of sweetness, but not a full-on Marshmallow Fluff burnt sugar suffocater.

Suggestions? Seems like suddenly many scents are out of stock, coming soon, etc....but I want it yesterday LOL

Also: Just Scent "Christmas Wish" sold out a few days now....any dupes? https://www.justscent.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies-christmas-wish-fragrance-oil.html

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen,

Sounds like you're on the same quest as I am.  My family thinks that I'm strange, but I love burning smells - especially campfires, wood stoves, and burning leaves.  One of my very favorite scents of all time is Bath & Body Works Fireside, but buying a few of those a month gets out of hand fast.  Then I searched in vain for a good knock-off candle to feed my habit.   I honestly began making candles about a year ago just so I could make my own affordable soy Fireside candles.  I've not tried every supplier's version, but I do think Crafters Choice Fireside EO & FO Blend 407 is dead on.  I just wish it wasn't so $$$ (still cheaper that BBW though).  I want to try Just Scents version next to see how it compares.

In my search for other smokey scents I bought Sonoma's Frosted Woodland Pine from Kohl's (it's a seasonal scent, so they have them in Oct-Dec). It's not a Fireside dupe, but I reaalllly like it. I've been trying to clone it myself, but something is always missing - which sounds like the problem you're having as well.  In addition to the pine and eucalyptus there's a bit of sweet smokiness that I just can't pin down.  I had been using Christmas Tree Farm from Aztec - which I like a lot.  I added  some eucalyptus and vanilla and fireside.  But I don't think it's got a strong enough pine note to it.  I think I want to get Fresh Balsam from Just Scents and mix some Crafters Choice Fireside and/or Marshmallow Fireside with it.

If you get a chance - check out Frosted Woodland Pine at Kohl's and let me know if that 's what you're going for!  Maybe we can figure it out together.  After all, there's nothing we Karens can't do, right?!?LOL

Thanks,

Karen

Edited by kstack
link correction
  • Like 1

Have you tried Bonfire from Brambleberry? It smells like smoke... Try it and maybe buy a big bottle if you like it because I think they might discontinue this next year.. 

It's a trend for BB to discontinue any FO that isn't selling or is polarizing and this FO definitely tick that box.

Edited by Saponificarian
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, Saponificarian said:

Have you tried Bonfire from Brambleberry? It smells like smoke... Try it and maybe buy a big bottle if you like it because I think they might discontinue this next year.. 

It's a trend for BB to discontinue any FO that isn't selling or is polarizing and this FO definitely tick that box.

OMG I missed all these replies because I was pretty much offline for a few months due to illness. I’ve never heard of Brambleberry but will look it up now! Wait before I even look: do they ship in glass or plastic bottles? Since I’ve week sick.... actually 6 months were really bad, I sort of fell off the earth. I’m finally (knock wood) on my way back. I’m counting fever-free days (Lupus) and I need to stop fixating on it So....time to shop, spend, love, hate LOL, and I will put together over time reviews on all the oils I ordered last March—right before I got sick. I have about 20 I have yet to try. But this thread on Smoky Scents: is there a way I can “archive” it?  

Basically I found this wonderful site/group/harem and at the same time (as you know, Belinda) I discovered the realization that I do better buying FO’s for my personal use (vs the gazillion clams of wax melts I blow through monthly and they’ve taken over my house!!  

Scented Wax Melts are my true “baby.” Retail brands that I buy, test, hoard or, as I say each time a scent is a FAIL: “Hefty, Hefty, Cinch-Sak!!!” Yeah: I have no room to store scents I overbought and either dislike, can’t tolerate (headache-triggers), or, my final push to try FOs: This Lupus flareup seemed to affect my sense of smell as far as scents I felt threw 5/5 like beasts that took over my house....I can now barely smell. It was a conversation with one of my Retail Contacts that brought adding existing FOs to the existing wax melts. Keep in mind: the oils snd melts are sold by the manufacturer so they are dupe-ditty-dupes!! Best idea ever but they get $7.00 for .3 oz.!!!!  Point three; yes!!!! 

Oh I logged on (finally) last week and saw JS is now an WSP acquisition. I pray they don’t switch to glass bottles. What I went thru to replace the glass WSP bottles with perfect blue plastic bottles with black turret caps...heaven!!! Then I redesigned the size/style/scent labels (nothing that’s not 100% in keeping their integrity) but I had to design for 16, 8, and 4 oz bottles. That’s about all I did in the past 6 months. Now: to transfer all the oils. I did about 10 of the 16oz and there was NO seepage. I didn’t think that would happen but it was, um, mentioned.  

Please let me know if I can archiving this thread easily, or if I’ll have to manually make a PDF page by page and merge. 

Thanks all!’ Hugs Belinda; we never got to chat! One day at a time.... no fever..... until I forget to count! 🥰❤️🥰 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wild4waxmelts said:

OMG I missed all these replies because I was pretty much offline for a few months due to illness. I’ve never heard of Brambleberry but will look it up now! Wait before I even look: do they ship in glass or plastic bottles? Since I’ve week sick.... actually 6 months were really bad, I sort of fell off the earth. I’m finally (knock wood) on my way back. I’m counting fever-free days (Lupus) and I need to stop fixating on it So....time to shop, spend, love, hate LOL, and I will put together over time reviews on all the oils I ordered last March—right before I got sick. I have about 20 I have yet to try. But this thread on Smoky Scents: is there a way I can “archive” it?  

Basically I found this wonderful site/group/harem and at the same time (as you know, Belinda) I discovered the realization that I do better buying FO’s for my personal use (vs the gazillion clams of wax melts I blow through monthly and they’ve taken over my house!!  

Scented Wax Melts are my true “baby.” Retail brands that I buy, test, hoard or, as I say each time a scent is a FAIL: “Hefty, Hefty, Cinch-Sak!!!” Yeah: I have no room to store scents I overbought and either dislike, can’t tolerate (headache-triggers), or, my final push to try FOs: This Lupus flareup seemed to affect my sense of smell as far as scents I felt threw 5/5 like beasts that took over my house....I can now barely smell. It was a conversation with one of my Retail Contacts that brought adding existing FOs to the existing wax melts. Keep in mind: the oils snd melts are sold by the manufacturer so they are dupe-ditty-dupes!! Best idea ever but they get $7.00 for .3 oz.!!!!  Point three; yes!!!! 

Oh I logged on (finally) last week and saw JS is now an WSP acquisition. I pray they don’t switch to glass bottles. What I went thru to replace the glass WSP bottles with perfect blue plastic bottles with black turret caps...heaven!!! Then I redesigned the size/style/scent labels (nothing that’s not 100% in keeping their integrity) but I had to design for 16, 8, and 4 oz bottles. That’s about all I did in the past 6 months. Now: to transfer all the oils. I did about 10 of the 16oz and there was NO seepage. I didn’t think that would happen but it was, um, mentioned.  

Please let me know if I can archiving this thread easily, or if I’ll have to manually make a PDF page by page and merge. 

Thanks all!’ Hugs Belinda; we never got to chat! One day at a time.... no fever..... until I forget to count! 🥰❤️🥰 

I'm so glad you're feeling better! I hope you have many more good days ahead, getting better every day.

I think these threads can be archived but I have no idea how to do it. Maybe copy and paste the conversation into a word document? 

I need to send you some of my wax to test for me since you are the wax melt queen LOL! 

I've never used it in a candle, but Wholesale Supplies Plus has a Fireside fragrance oil that my husband loves...it's the only fragrance he wants in his soap and I don't mind because it smells good on him!  I've never smelled the one from BBW so I don't know how close it is, but it is very nice.