There are no dumb questions, only opportunities for improvement: Product Packaging

TallTayl

When we embark on our fledgling business we all have a dream of delighting our customers. We try to think of everything before we list a product. Sometimes we do really well at predicting for years, then suddenly little things pop up that are easy to ignore, until they aren't. Three recent communications from customers made me stop in my tracks and rethink packaging for my bayberry candles. I am a native of Massachusetts where bayberry taper candles are a very old tradition. I hand dip everything the authentic way and love to share them with my peeps. 

The first incident was new years eve. My email started pinging every few seconds. I checked and discovered an etsy customer frantically sending convo after convo in a panic. They neeeeeeded bayberry candles for that evening and I had somehow sent them red. They asked that I express overnight a candle so their new year was not  completely ruined. After the flush of panic on my end that I could have made a big mistake I picked up the phone to see what happened. Turns out the red they saw was the tissue I had wrapped the candles in. When they opened the package they apologized and cried with relief. 

I thought nothing of it again, until about 2 weeks ago. Same darned thing happened, but this time the customer was upset that I sent purple candles. I kind of had the gist this time and picked up the phone and asked that they open the package. No tears this time, but sincere apology.

Two times is too many to ignore. So I created a new hang tag for the bundle, and have begun to add new photos to my listings so people know exactly what to expect. I have a long way to go with updates to freshen listings, but the first step is infinitely greater than no step at all.

Untitled design.png

Another question popped up yesterday: How are they packed to ship? The customer understood I wrap in tissue, but was fearful that I just stick them into a mailing envelope to ship.  Totally understandable concern! I recently received a glass candle in a bubble mailer. Yes, crazy!!!! So following posts from Etsy I'm now photographing orders as I pack so people know what to expect. I'm also finding I subconsciously look for the same before adding an item to my cart. I want to know the item is packaged with care to prevent damage in transit.

What are you doing to tip the buyer's cart in your favor? 

Have you had to update pictures, packaging or something else to ensure your customers are delighted with something special from you?

• Like 1

I have had lots of glassware shipped in the honeycomb, and also with crushed brown paper wrap.

it depends on your brand I think. I use biodegradable peanuts, and bubble wrap. I have had candle shipped to me and many would not qualify as gift-able. Packing was shoddy. My personal goal is to have product arrive in perfect condition. Unboxing is important. The box and packaging is a reflection of your brand and store.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Laura C said:

I like the paper honeycomb wrap you use @TallTayl. Do you also use it for glass container candles? If so has it been as effective as the plastic bubble wrap?

You can you just need to wrap with a few extra layers. This wrapping turned me on so many years ago when I received shipments from Crate & Barrel. It felt like opening presents versus opening supplies shipment. It just felt special. And it checks the box about plastic free that is very important to me and many of my customers.

i will recycle biodegradable packing peanuts but if they get wet they no longer protect the item.  And I didn’t want to have to buy more bulky things for shipping that I have to store. I will only use them if I get them in another package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NightLight said:

I have had lots of glassware shipped in the honeycomb, and also with crushed brown paper wrap.

it depends on your brand I think. I use biodegradable peanuts, and bubble wrap. I have had candle shipped to me and many would not qualify as gift-able. Packing was shoddy. My personal goal is to have product arrive in perfect condition. Unboxing is important. The box and packaging is a reflection of your brand and store.

Do you add pictures to your listings of how the item will arrive to the customer? I find I’ve been looking for that lately especially with so much shopping being online.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently stumbled upon the fruit wrap cushioning (no idea what it's really called). Only downside is that it's Styrofoam--I was really trying to to eco-friendly :(

SleevIt | Protective Foam Mesh Sleeves | Pregis

Was tired of jars breaking despite using paper cushion, despite using packing peanuts. So now, every glass container that goes out the door is wrapped in this then placed in a box, THEN packaged with peanuts, and God speed!!

Broken containers were killing me with sending replacements (I don't give refunds)

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, StanfordP said:

I recently stumbled upon the fruit wrap cushioning (no idea what it's really called). Only downside is that it's Styrofoam--I was really trying to to eco-friendly :(

Was tired of jars breaking despite using paper cushion, despite using packing peanuts. So now, every glass container that goes out the door is wrapped in this then placed in a box, THEN packaged with peanuts, and God speed!!

Broken containers were killing me with sending replacements (I don't give refunds)

That can look super upscale! 

breakage in transit is a bummer.  It costs me as much in shipping materials as it does to make the candle.  Typically a good wrap Around the individual candle inside a small box, then that gets put into a bigger box with 1-2” of cushion to satisfy the USPS requirements adds packaging and size which means more postage.  It is a viscous cycle. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Do you add pictures to your listings of how the item will arrive to the customer? I find I’ve been looking for that lately especially with so much shopping being online.

I also like to see how things I buy online will be gift wrapped or packaged. As was mentioned about "giftable", you can decide if you can send it to someone directly as a gift or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:06 AM, StanfordP said:

A bit late here, but PaperMart has paper sleeves that I'm trying out with my glass candles; test shipments have proven great so far! It's their "Flexi-Hex" product (I use the one that's 3" deep, but this one in the picture is for a wine bottle or something). I'm still trying to figure out pricing them into my model, as they're about $0.50 per candle, but I'm very impressed. Plus storage for the supplies is minimal; they store flat! /Images/Item/large/80001000.jpg?rnd=0

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Looks similar to the Geami wrap, but in a pre-formed sleeve.

Very pretty!

Looking that up led me to RanPak's Ready Roll...which I think is the exact same material but in a roll...looks much more cost-effective. Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, smoogen said:

Looking that up led me to RanPak's Ready Roll...which I think is the exact same material but in a roll...looks much more cost-effective. Thank you!

I started with ready rolls when the tissue came in different colors.  I use the wrap pack ex now for everything. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I started with ready rolls when the tissue came in different colors.  I use the wrap pack ex now for everything. 

Hmmmmmm you've definitely got my gears turning. I'm not ready to make that jump just yet...but I can definitely see heading there in the summer. Thank you for sharing! 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, smoogen said:

Hmmmmmm you've definitely got my gears turning. I'm not ready to make that jump just yet...but I can definitely see heading there in the summer. Thank you for sharing! 

I was very hesitant at the cash outlay at first.  Compared to plastic bubbles and foam options ready rolls are pricey. 

The ready rolls last a very long time and are not as big of a chunk to spend to test. by the end of the first roll I was convinced they worked best for what I needed. I knew I didn’t want any plastic packing, and the paper rolls with tissue and news paper or Kraft void fill are versatile, and  fit my brands and needs. 

goof luck! 

Baby steps are good. 

• Like 1