HT Strength

If we were to scale HT strength in 1 to 10(1 being weakest and 10 being strongest) , then what would be your target HT strength of your candles and the reason?  Let me go first.

My goal is around 7.  Personally I prefer HT strength in this level, and luckily I found many who likes this kind of strength.

*Of course measuring HT strength would be very subjective that can be totally different from person to person.  But let's try our best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am right about with you.  7 is my favorite number, and it fits well with your topic.

too much scent is not a good goad thing.  When you can taste the FO in the air it is nauseating. A candle enhances a room, but does not need to punch you in the face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ideally, a 6-7 for me. I want to smell it where it's lit, maybe a light drift into an adjacent room, not on the other side of the house or a different floor. Just a bit of ambience, a little atmosphere.

But I often have to aim a little higher - about a 9 - to compete with those cheap paraffin candles that people have grown used to and expect. It's hard convincing some people to buy a higher priced, non-paraffin candle that isn't suffocatingly strong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BusyBee said:

I forgot ask CT strength level.  Is it good idea to aim for 9 to 10 CT strength with 6-7 HT strength?

Depends on your target market I guess. I think it’s funny that almost every candle I smell in a big store has a big cold throw, but every time I buy one and take it home the HT is piss poor. I mean to the point where it’s not even worth leaving it in a tiny bathroom for a little freshen-up now and again.

Personally I don’t really care about strong CT, as long as I can get a half decent whiff after taking the lid off then that’s enough for me. But then I read all these horror stories about people wiping straight fragrance on the tops of their candles to make them smell really strong and apparently it boosts their sales. Worst idea ever, but like we all know, most of these people don’t have a clue about safety or give a toss. All about the $$$.

I like a strong (8-10) CT. Sometimes, if it's strong enough, I'll leave the lid off and use it as an air freshener. Not a whole room freshener but enough to get a wiff if I'm sitting near. Bonus: when someone opens the lid and takes a sniff, it's more incentive to buy.