I make ceramic candle containers that vary in shape and size. Today I picked one that has been sitting on my bench to make a new candle. The first step to making the candle is knowing how much wax I will need. Here's how I do that.

Step 1: Weigh the container. This one is 18.6 oz, or 527 grams.

Image-1.jpg

Step 2: Tare the scale.

zero it out so you don't need to worry about the math in the next step.

Step 3: Fill with water to the desired wax fill line and weigh again.

This container takes 14.3 or so ounces of water or 405 grams.

Image-1 (1).jpg

Step 4: Multiply that number by 0.9 to approximate the weight of wax needed to get to that line.

This one will need about 12.8 oz or 364 grams.  I round up since my melter loses a little between melting and pouring just from normal wax sticking to the sides of the pot and melter. You can never scrape it all down perfectly.

Image-1 (2).jpg

The next step is up to you, figure out the fragrance needed and reduce the wax needed. In a multiple wicked candle like this is need FAR LESS fragrance than in a single wicked jar. This bowl will have three wicks. I will have a fully scented candle using as little as 3% fragrance in coconut wax or 4-5% in soy based wax. Crazy right? I'm not kidding. Multiple wicks not only melt the top layer of wax more quickly, it also creates an early vortex of air circulation that really moves fragrance into the air. 

When making multiple wicked candles using curling wicks (CD, CDN, etc) I make sure to point the curl intentionally to create the air current.  For this bowl I will point them all to the same direction of a circle. If I were double wicking I would point them in opposite directions to minimize the amount of heat building on one side of the container.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

These are so cute !!!  Do you sell them anywhere??

You are so sweet. ❤️

eventually. I relocated my clay studio to share the outdoor work shop, and took time off to get my head around how to organize it. Need to get going fast now that it has cooled off FINALLY!  We need a CraftServer 2020 Ornament Design. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

here's a follow up of this bowl. I triple wicked with 3 x CD4 in my own Coconut wax blend. I love how smooth the wax looks with shiny tops! CT and HT are usually so clean and pure. ❤️ 

The scent blend is something I have been dreaming about for fall: Long Leaf Pine essential oil, Tunisian Rosemary essential oil, Elements Rocky Mountain Christmas and my cinnamon spice FO.

I can light this blend within 3 or so days. Will know if my CD4 choice is right pretty quickly.  These EO's I chose tend to be harder to burn, so I went a little bigger than usual with a three wick. Other wick choices would easily be CDN4 if I need a slightly cooler burn with additional chemical treatment for EO's that "eat" wicks.

Note: When multi wicking with curling self-trimming wicks I point the curls in specific directions to create quick heat circulation and minimize heat build up in any one specific area.  These all point to the right around the bowl, like a recycle symbol.

thee wick bowl.jpg

Here's another ceramic I filled with this method in the same session. Same wax. 

Scented with: Kabocha (a raw pumpkin scent), AHRE Bonfire BLiss, Sweet Cakes Wood Smoke, Long Leaf Pine essential Oil, Lemongrass Essential OIl.

The inner dimensions of the stoneware ceramic jar are 3" wide and 3.5 or so inches tall. The impressions are just weeds from my yard. Weeds make the best decorations ❤️ I intended for this jar to hold beeswax pillar candles, but love it so much more with coconut wax. I am a poweburner, and love vessels that can take the abuse.

I left it to poke a wick because I KNOW I will be messing with wicks on this one. Kabocha is a HARD HARD HARD to burn scent, but it smells so fantastic when I hit the sweet spot. I might end up double wicking this one, but will exhaust single wicks first.

fall jar 2.jpgfall jar.jpg

13 minutes ago, Kris10Tackles said:

@TallTaylThat is gorgeous. Do you throw ceramics also?

Yes! I love getting into the clay. Now that it has finally cooled off here I can fill the kiln. Going to make all new kitchen plates, etc this winter. Hoping to also make more taper candle holders.

time to make more dragon eggs too ❤️🥰

22BAF1BF-E379-4129-970B-ABE15A5D59E2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/24/2020 at 6:43 PM, TallTayl said:

Note: When multi wicking with curling self-trimming wicks I point the curls in specific directions to create quick heat circulation and minimize heat build up in any one specific area.  These all point to the right around the bowl, like a recycle symbol.

These are beautiful!

How can you figure out which way the wick is going to curl?

12 minutes ago, jmspgh said:

These are beautiful!

How can you figure out which way the wick is going to curl?

Take a look at the colored threads on these CD wicks.  

76EBDF47-CCF8-4E36-9100-820D4191E7BB.jpeg

One side the threads point upward to  make a ^ pattern.  this is the direction they curl

CE53DB83-2463-468B-902F-18AFA9D8E57D.jpeg

On The other side the braids point down toward the tab. they curl away from this side.
F8C08D85-037F-47C3-AD15-50FD42C6E2F0.jpeg

🤗

5 minutes ago, jmspgh said:

wow...my mind is blown.  i can't wait to bust out my wicks and figure it out.  I have yet to attempt multi-wicking and probably wont for a while but so glad i know this now.

This is helpful with single wicks also.  I know many people insist a wick should be set dead center, but I have offset some 1/4” or so to keep the melt pools even around jars very successfully.