New HPSP wicks?

On 10/5/2020 at 4:49 AM, Lizzy said:

Yikes...that's a lot of $ for a sample pack
wonder what sets them apart from other "traditional braided design" cotton wicks? 

I don't know but I'm intrigued because they are supposedly made for waxes like paraffin and coconut where you're kind of stuck using the small size wicks to keep the flame size under control. Maybe they have a thicker smaller flame which is ideal, but I'm not really sold on their opinions due to how they wick their own candles, like they will use a Eco 10 in a 3" diameter with their super hot burning coconut wax, that is just wayyyyyy too big.

I know it seems like a lot to pay for the sample pack BUT I’m really liking them so far. They seem to help HT. I get a better HT with HPSP than I do CD or Premier in Coco Apricot. I’ve also noticed that I get a full melt pool without the jar getting as hot too. 

49 minutes ago, mereander said:

I know it seems like a lot to pay for the sample pack BUT I’m really liking them so far. They seem to help HT. I get a better HT with HPSP than I do CD or Premier in Coco Apricot. I’ve also noticed that I get a full melt pool without the jar getting as hot too. 

What kind of wick type is it most like? Do they curl over like HTP / CD or is it tighter like CDN or more straight like LX / RRD?

I expect a set here any day to try out.

one thing that has me a little skeptical is that it is announced as a perfect solution to “coconut wax”. My question is which? All of the retail available are quite different.  I have at least 5 on my shelf and none of them wick the same. 

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I expect a set here any day to try out.

one thing that has me a little skeptical is that it is announced as a perfect solution to “coconut wax”. My question is which? All of the retail available are quite different.  I have at least 5 on my shelf and none of them wick the same. 

I'm guessing they are for the very hot burning ones like their blend they sell, where the flame height is too high with any wick if you're trying to do a self-trimming burn in a 3" plus size container. I really liked the HT and look of their wax, was super easy to use, but wicking it for a clean burn was not doable for me unless I added soy and I refuse to do that for candles for sale.

I stuck a 42 in a 3” jar based off their recommendations with the coconut container slab from candles and supplies blended with some soy and I will say the burn is beautiful.....the throw is lacking though 

I am going to go up and down in size and see if it makes a difference 

I will be trying them in coco apricot tonight as well and just because the Easy beads coconut even though it’s just gone now and not coming back 🤬

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moonshine said:

I stuck a 42 in a 3” jar based off their recommendations with the coconut container slab from candles and supplies blended with some soy and I will say the burn is beautiful.....the throw is lacking though 

I am going to go up and down in size and see if it makes a difference 

I will be trying them in coco apricot tonight as well and just because the Easy beads coconut even though it’s just gone now and not coming back 🤬

Can you post a picture of the flame so I can get a better idea how they burn? That'd be nice to see.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with these and I hate them. The way they burn reminds me of Eco but they don't self trim worth a crap, and the HT is rubbish. I'm glad I only bought a few sizes to try.

Edited by ErronB
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 9:47 AM, moonshine said:

Here you go

calypso is a 42 in coconut container slab from candles and supplies with additional soy added 

mason jar is a 39 with coconut container slab by itself 

9B5CD95F-D960-4C7C-AD6A-1554FD61C709.jpeg

D8D156D9-B9FE-44CE-BC0B-9CC780A7904D.jpeg

Any updates on these wicks Moon? I need a shorter/fatter wick for my blend, currently every wick I try in my blend has a straight/tall flame and it starts to throw soot at the slightest flicker

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Any updates on these wicks Moon? I need a shorter/fatter wick for my blend, currently every wick I try in my blend has a straight/tall flame and it starts to throw soot at the slightest flicker

I'm not Moon, but I did test them again in Northwood's own coconut wax that they use for a fair test. They did burn well, nice power behind the flame to get a decent melt pool but the hot throw was very mediocre. And they don't self-trim properly, so if you're into making super clean burning candles then they won't be any use to you. You can still get a good 3 or so burns out of them before they start breaking down though.

16 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Well....I am still going up in sizes to see if the throw improves, so far not much  - the flame is beautiful in coconut blends and no carbon or soot  - reviews are consistent that the wicking chart is way off and you need to go way up in size 

They remind me of LX with a thicker coating, being so new with only 1 supplier I’m not totally trusting yet - but I do have to give them kudos for the marketing strategy to get the sample pack - with the many supply changes, people including myself, were hot to jump on it hoping for the miracle cure in coconut 

I will post an update to see if I accomplish decent throw and maintain the nice burn 

Depending on your blend they may work for you - they have not been dirty at all as far as  throwing soot, and the flame stays pretty low like an aromalite wick 

I’m curious how these would perform in paraffin but I don’t use paraffin to find out 🤷‍♀️

On 11/11/2020 at 11:43 AM, moonshine said:

Well....I am still going up in sizes to see if the throw improves, so far not much  - the flame is beautiful in coconut blends and no carbon or soot  - reviews are consistent that the wicking chart is way off and you need to go way up in size 

They remind me of LX with a thicker coating, being so new with only 1 supplier I’m not totally trusting yet - but I do have to give them kudos for the marketing strategy to get the sample pack - with the many supply changes, people including myself, were hot to jump on it hoping for the miracle cure in coconut 

I will post an update to see if I accomplish decent throw and maintain the nice burn 

Depending on your blend they may work for you - they have not been dirty at all as far as  throwing soot, and the flame stays pretty low like an aromalite wick 

I’m curious how these would perform in paraffin but I don’t use paraffin to find out 🤷‍♀️

Thanks. I plan on testing some of the coco-apricot wax blwnds ive been reading about and will maybe get the sample pack to try

On 11/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, ErronB said:

I'm not Moon, but I did test them again in Northwood's own coconut wax that they use for a fair test. They did burn well, nice power behind the flame to get a decent melt pool but the hot throw was very mediocre. And they don't self-trim properly, so if you're into making super clean burning candles then they won't be any use to you. You can still get a good 3 or so burns out of them before they start breaking down though.

Ty!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve been testing HPSP wicks with coco83 mixed with a bit of paraffin. I’m having issues with tunnelling and go out by themselves. So far I’ve tried: HPSP 377, 335, 300, 257 (45-63). There’s one larger size left to try, but I don’t know! Am I doing something wrong?? Should I be double wicking?  The vessel diameter is 3.2” 

54 minutes ago, MsPeachesDelight said:

I’ve been testing HPSP wicks with coco83 mixed with a bit of paraffin. I’m having issues with tunnelling and go out by themselves. So far I’ve tried: HPSP 377, 335, 300, 257 (45-63). There’s one larger size left to try, but I don’t know! Am I doing something wrong?? Should I be double wicking?  The vessel diameter is 3.2” 

Hpsp never lived up to the (very short) hype. I’ve not heard of anyone sticking with them 🤷🏻‍♀️

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Hpsp never lived up to the (very short) hype. I’ve not heard of anyone sticking with them 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honestly, I’m starting to notice why! I agree. It’s NOT worth the hype.  It’s so frustrating!  What wicks give great HT with coco83? I’m finding lots of people struggle with wicking—including myself, obvi. 😂😭

1 hour ago, MsPeachesDelight said:

Honestly, I’m starting to notice why! I agree. It’s NOT worth the hype.  It’s so frustrating!  What wicks give great HT with coco83? I’m finding lots of people struggle with wicking—including myself, obvi. 😂😭

CDN are nice in mine.