Is this even possible?! (Useless Vent)

Ok so I came across this nice candle site (I don’t want to bash anyone so I’ll leave it anonymous). The chandler is making all sorts of claims and I’m frankly kind of baffled.

It states that the person: “purchased fresh organic fruits from local farmers stands and developed an all natural scent which was cooked into organic waxes, without dyes or harmful chemicals.”

Thats not a thing right? It seems very misleading. I’ve never seen anything about  “cooking” food to make fragrance to then add it into wax. It’s implying that this fragrance is from scratch. There’s a lot of emphasis on locally sourced materials being used...a lot of dodgy marketing.

sorry, I had nowhere else to rant 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"Organic Foods In our unique candles and Skin Care"

$1 someone out there tries to eat the products. Associating food with nonedible products is usually a bad idea.

My big question is: Are the products certified organic? I want to see a big, not attractive USDA Organic icon slapped on them.

Being silly now. I noticed Pumpkin Pie as an available fragrance option. So... were there eggs, pumpkin sugar, dairy, flour, etc. cooked into the wax? That seems like it might be a wicking problem even if ultra filtered. Also, noticed on the FB page that at least one candle type has glitter or glitter-like material on it. I'm assuming it's made of organic cellulose or something like that...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just checked out the site and am baffled by her claims. I assume she is either using an oil to "cook" foods like fruits, spices, herbs, etc. in, then adding it to her candles. But then she also mentions that her candles scents are phthalate free. This sounds to me like she is combining her cooked whatever with phthalate fragrances or essential oils.

The 'cooking' claim makes no sense to me. I have added a lot of different things to my candles over the years and adding food just wouldn't work. It would have to be treated in such a way that you only use the essence after much filtration to remove impurities and debris. Plus it (the essence) would have to be incorporated into her wax in an oil form or a form that would be soluble in wax with no liquid.

But then how could you get it concentrated enough to throw in a candle without clogging a wick? She uses wood wicks and says at one point she started out with a piece of untreated wood so not sure she is still using that or buying commercial wood wicks. I assume using a wood wick is why her wicks don't clog or sputter out.

Whatever she is doing she is commanding a high price for her candles and people are buying them.

• Like 3

Oh, wow! Look at this vid from FB. Is that FO or the "cooked oil" in the jar before the wax is poured? video Now, I'm starting to think she really does cook things in oil and adds the oil to the candle. I saw black bits, which I assume is a result of the "cook", floating in the container.

If you go back to Feb. '19, you'll see a post with several candles whose tops are loaded with a bunch of dried botanicals. Maybe that's how they're "cooked" into the wax... Toss some potpourri on the surface of your candle to cover up the fact that you use synthetic fragrances. Or maybe the whole "cooking" thing is an alternative marketing strategy to adding botanicals to the tops (I couldn't find a recent pic with botanicals on top).

Either it was here or somewhere else (Reddit or Quora, I'd guess. I really don't remember what rabbit hole I fell through that time.) where I recently read that in order to extract enough fragrance from dried botanicals to scent a candle you would need a massive amount; several times the weight of the candle.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kerven said:

t in order to extract enough fragrance from dried botanicals to scent a candle you would need a massive amount; several times the weight of the candle.

This is true of essential oils for sure.  It takes lbs and lbs of botanicals to extract an Oz of oil. When you grow something like lavender or basil and dry it, think about how light the entire remainder of the plant is.  And only a tiny fraction of that is oil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

@Candybee I think it is all just a story. Given the scents listed, I doubt strongly that things like marshmallows  and apple pies are being cooked into candles. Essences like dragons blood are extracted into alcohol, for instance... 

I saw that too. He description of that candle sounds exactly like she added dragon's blood and probably witches brew as per her description.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

This is true of essential oils for sure.  It takes lbs and lbs of botanicals to extract an Oz of oil. When you grow something like lavender or basil and dry it, think about how light the entire remainder of the plant is.  And only a tiny fraction of that is oil.

This is what I was getting at with her cooking essence, she would have to use a ton just to get the candle to smell and that of course means a ton more debris to clean up. In other words not cost effective and way too labor intensive. I don't see it happening the way she describes.

• Like 2

So now I'm utterly confused ... I just had to go look to see what you're all talking about and it's very puzzling.  I saw a lady with dyed hair & false eyelashes telling me that there's brown sugar and bourbon in her candle.  What???  Oh wait, she didn't actually tell me that, she told me that her candles are "award winning" (where are the awards being given out?), asked if I wanted to make a contribution to enter a contest, that she made foody candles for relatives and then presented fancy-label candles with foody type names.  Now, it's all very pretty, but there is that word "O R G A N I C" on the label, and in order to label something with that word, well, we all know the leaps that need to be done there, and I'm afraid I'm not getting the feeling that those leaps have been fully & adequately performed by this company ... first, what is organic?  The wax?  What type of wax is it?  (I didn't get that far, you see, my eyes started to blur.)  Is it the bourbon that's organic?  Wouldn't it have to be certified?

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2020 at 10:28 AM, birdcharm said:

Is it the bourbon that's organic?  Wouldn't it have to be certified?

The only way that I can see that bourbon adds anything to the candle is if the candle maker actually DRINKS the bourbon.   

• Haha 3

Someone asked her how she got marshmallow in her candles and if she used special oils After she posted the picture I attached

This was her response:

the marshmallow is a combination of toasted vanilla pods and nutmeg. Depending on what I’m making, the candles are either scented by infusion, oil , steam distilled extraction or a combination of all

So I am thinking she is using similar methods like how you can extract oil from Marijuana. I lived in WA for about 7 months and while I was there my partner worked for the first Government owned dispensary. It was amazing to see all the different kinds of things that could be produced by extracting the THC and CBD oil. It is my understanding that it does take a lot of marijuana to produce a small amount of oil.  I just asked my boyfriend and he said there are multiple ways to extract the oil. 

If she is extracting it in a similar way I am wondering if it is viable. I have even heard talk about CBD candles. I would be interested to speak with a dispensary on their thoughts. Hey @BusyBee you live in CA. Get us the low down At your local dispensary on how possible something like this would be. :) 

4FA4BD70-E526-49D5-95D4-CB49F9047D8F.jpeg

Actually I got contacted by one of dispensary near me, but I have to stay far away from them due to my other federal government contracts.

There are several different kinds of extracting method.  Most common method would be Butane Extraction(BHO) where we see a lot of News about those illegal lab blowing up due to butane build up in a room.  Other methods are Carbon Dioxide(CO2) Extraction, Rosin, DHO Extraction, & Ethanol(EHO) Extraction.  Even propane can be used.  It would yield about 13% average depends on quality and parts of plant used.  In other words, it would take average of 7oz of cannabis to make 1oz of oil.  It cost about $300/oz($200 to $400/oz) so it would take $2,100 worth of cannabis to make an one ounce of oil not including cost of extracting it.  It would be thousands of dollar candle if someone can make one. :)

I don't know.  It looks possible, but cost of doing it with other ingredient would not be cheap either.  Her method might be possible, but her pricing tells different story.  And, also she is claiming she is using organic wax which is impossible unless she makes her own organic wax.  We see this kind of surprise candle makers all the time.  So what else is new?

• Like 1