No hot throw in jelly jar

Laila

So frustrated. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get a good hot throw. I have tried igi 6006, igi 4625, NG joy wax, and NG bliss wax. I have tried each of these waxes with htp wicks, hemp wicks, zinc wicks, CD wicks and 2 weeks curing time and nothing. I follow manufacturers instructions and even tried the low temp method. Even tried scents from multiple companies AND experimented with vybar. Can someone please help me?! 

4625 is a pillar wax, isn’t it? Probably not the best wax for a jelly jar, but I could be wrong. 

I would pick one of the container waxes And let us know how you made the candle:

what temp was wax heated to

pouring temp

what FO

% of FO

wicks tried

6006 has a few fans here. @Forrest or @bfroberts any ideas for jelly jar starting point for wicks?

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

4625 is a pillar wax, isn’t it? Probably not the best wax for a jelly jar, but I could be wrong. 

Yes, you are correct, 4625 is a pillar & tart wax.

In my experience with it @Laila, I have made wax melts that have strong hot and cold throw so you would think a candle made with it would too. It more than likely wouldn't have great jar adhesion in a clear glass. I have also mixed it, I believe 50/50 with 4794 a votive & tart wax with success.

As @TallTayl said you should try a wax made for container candles. You could mix the waxes if you wanted to experiment.

• Thanks 1

I use Jelly Jars and love them! I can tell you that the diameter of the jar is best suited for small to medium rooms, so if you test in a wide open space, it will most likely not throw far.
 In 6006 I'd use Zinc Wicks 44-32-18 or 51-32-18 as a starting point and depending on FO load. I haven't used any of the other waxes you mentioned. Pillar of Bliss and 4625 are both Pillar waxes though so I'd skip those in jars. 
Put your candle in a small room (bath or bedroom) and close the door, then check on it after a while. I frequently get what's known as "candlenose" where I can't smell my stuff bc I'm around it constantly and usually going outside and getting some decent fresh air, or sticking my schnoz into a can of ground coffee and inhaling, will do the trick. HTH some :) Don't give up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would try them in smaller rooms.   I have a cavernous main room with lots of airflow (fan and air conditioner) and I almost never got any throw out of anything, but some of them do fine when I put them in small to mid-size rooms.   I would also get a friend to test them out and make sure you haven't gone nose blind to your scents.

I will say that 6006 is a little tricky to wick properly in my experience.  

If a smaller room doesn't help and a friend can't smell them well either, I would make some melts to see if the problem is the wick or the scent itself.   Some scents just don't work well with certain waxes and the right wick can make all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 of those waxes are pillar waxes, and the other two are parasoy container blends that may or may not be the exact same wax.  IDK.  I've heard rumors.

Here's my cliff notes version of a guide to 6006:

It throws most any FO. Eco wicks work well and the Candle Science wick guide is pretty accurate.  Test the recommended size, plus one size up an one size down to compare.  Heat to 185-190, add FO, stir 1-2 minutes and pour.  Cool slowly. Cure 2 weeks.  6006 burns like crap if it's too fresh and you'll never get a good handle on wicking if you don't give it time to cure.  6-7% FO is all you need.  More isn't better.  If you apply all that and don't get at least a decent HT, the FO is a dud.  Every single FO that Candle Science sells will throw in 6006. 

Note:  CD, LX, HTP and zinc wicks will also work but the last case of 6006 I had the pleasure of using burned best with Eco's.  I use a different parasoy now, and I still like the Eco's. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention I only use the pillar wax for my embeds. But with the 6006 I heat to 185, remove from heat, color, add FO at 175 and stir 3 mins and pour. Joy wax I heat to 200, remove and color, add FO at 185 stir and pour. 

I use candle science and natures garden scents mostly. I have tried using others to test smell and using a smaller room but nothing. I don’t know what it is I’m doing wrong. 

I will try longer cure but even after 2 weeks shouldn’t I be getting at least a faint throw? My CT is excellent. 

One thing I would say is that maybe you should test without color for now.   I don't think dye impedes throw that much but I think when trying to establish a baseline the fewer variables the better.

No matter where you get your scents, they're all gonna behave a little bit differently depending on the wax and wick combo. Every scent is different but my experience (limited though it is) is that things like citrus notes are hard to detect even in strong throwing candles while bakery scents show up pretty well in most everything I've tried.  But again, every scent is a little bit different.

I do agree that 6006 should be throwing at least a little bit.   Soy is a notoriously finicky thrower and I can get good scent out of 464 after a few days occasionally.

What percentage are you adding your FO at?   It's counterintuitive but sometimes too much can prevent it from throwing properly.   6-7% is the normal recommendation for 6006.

If it's not that then it would have to be the wick.   Type matters but size matters as well.   Wicking is hard and don't let anyone tell your differently---don't give up on a certain wick type just because it doesn't throw, it might just need to be a larger version.   Or a smaller version, counterintuitively.   Because candles are weird as hell.

• Like 1