Wax melts - please read and help!

Hey hey! New to the site. I beg someone puts me out my misery and gives me the solution to all problems! Iv made wax melts for 2years now and like anyone else, its taken a while and a lot of tweaking to become satisfied with the end product. I was using soy wax Q220 and all was brill then BAM it discontinued (story of my life). So i then tried Eco soya Melt and what a disaster that was - major frosting, cracking, chipping, the works! So i tried 494, a little better but not great. I read a few forums saying add pillar, so i did. The frosting has gone and my melts are a smooth finish again but no matter how gentle and patient i am while removing from moulds, they CHIP! Iv tried everything, different temp pours, gentle stirring, no colour, less FO. Had enough haha. Story short - please someone tell me a UK wax that isnt going to chip. WHY IS EVERYONES PERFECT AND MINE LOOKS LIKE IV PLAYED FOOTBALL WITH IT :( Thanks in advance and sorry for the life story! X

7 minutes ago, Megannnnn said:

Hey hey! New to the site. I beg someone puts me out my misery and gives me the solution to all problems! Iv made wax melts for 2years now and like anyone else, its taken a while and a lot of tweaking to become satisfied with the end product. I was using soy wax Q220 and all was brill then BAM it discontinued (story of my life). So i then tried Eco soya Melt and what a disaster that was - major frosting, cracking, chipping, the works! So i tried 494, a little better but not great. I read a few forums saying add pillar, so i did. The frosting has gone and my melts are a smooth finish again but no matter how gentle and patient i am while removing from moulds, they CHIP! Iv tried everything, different temp pours, gentle stirring, no colour, less FO. Had enough haha. Story short - please someone tell me a UK wax that isnt going to chip. WHY IS EVERYONES PERFECT AND MINE LOOKS LIKE IV PLAYED FOOTBALL WITH IT :( Thanks in advance and sorry for the life story! X

I've never used an all soy wax but have used a para/soy that works great. I use all paraffin most of the time now though. I'm not sure which wax is available in the UK though. There are several suppliers here that sell a granulated pillar and votive wax that works great for wax melts. I would recommend finding something like that. Do you order from the US? I would imagine shipping would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for replying! 
My very first wax i tried was all parrafin and they would just sink which is how i came about soy. The wax is great, nice
and smooth and the smell hold is amazing is just the chips that drive me insane!! Im using the snap bar moulds and everytime the corner always chip! Sometimes they are ok - ish! Then others its like, what the hells happend?! I will attach a photo to show you x

91CE2427-7450-4884-9FAF-3D313CD4E92A.png

D5836A74-CF0E-4445-8295-5CE4218B51ED.png

• 4 months later...

You might play with pouring temps.  Soy, if poured too hot, can for. Irregular grains that make the wax brittle. It will fracture like a sand castle because the grains are too large to hold together smoothly.

all waxes expand as they heat, and contract when cool.  Paraffin melts wax will dip less if poured cooler. Many creative souls I follow don’t worry about a dip. They either leave the dip since it does not detract from performance or  pour an intentional second decorative layer of wax.  

best of luck in your melt wax quest. 

I was getting really frustrated with this too. I used a coconut wax blend I’ve been playing with. Pour temp and and how they cool Is a big part. I use polycarbonate chocolate  molds for my snap bars and I had started having the same thing happen and I couldn’t figure out why. I am pretty sure it’s because I am a ding dong and I was cleaning the mold with alcohol before I poured. And that’s is supposed to be one of the tricks to stop wet spots from happening on jars. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I felt like such a dummy. So maybe that could be part of it for you depending on how you clean out the mold before you pour? 

• Like 1

Hey everyone. 
Just a quick update of how i got on with my wax melts. So after all the trial and errors, it turns out it was the mould! 
I ordered a new one (both was made of silicone) and when it arrived i remember thinking “this is really thin and flexible compared to the old one!” And that was it. Theres not been a problem since! 
To me, i just thought silicone is silicone and it never entered my head about getting a dodgy batch! 
So if you have the same problems as what i was having, maybe check how flexible the mould is. If its thick and stiff, get a new one 😄

thank you for all the messages. 
Take care x

• Like 1

Not all silicone molds are equal. So for example I have some freshware mold I was using playing around with soap.

couldn’t get a clean release no matter what or I used them. Mottled side, pitting. Switched to different silicone molds no issue. Sometimes if you do a quick visit to the fridge or freezer it can help with release. You don’t want to do too long or whatever is in the mold will sweat!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you tried reaching out to other wax melt makers or forums for advice? Another option could be to try different waxes from various suppliers to see which one works best for you.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try a Wax Melt Mystery Box from a trusted supplier. This way you can experiment with different types of wax and find the one that works best for you. Plus, the mystery aspect adds an extra layer of excitement.