Fragrance oils eating through plastic

Could anyone explain why this happens? What chemicals in fragrance oils would cause this?

When I first started marking candles I was measuring out my oils with stainless steel cups. After a while, I thought it would be much more efficient if I switch over to small plastic dixie cups, but I noticed that sometimes the fragrance oil eats through the cup. So I thought I could try a thicker cup, the classic red beer cups you find everywhere, but to my surprise, it also happened in these cups! It doesn't occur right away though, takes around 10 minutes or so after I pour out the FO for the remnants of the oil to melt the cup.

Obviously I've switched over to using glass everything now, but I'm really curious what properties of FO causes this to happen. Also makes the case for everyone to be safe and use gloves!!

IMG_20200912_173811.jpg

IMG_20200912_173814.jpg

• Like 1

I've had FO's turn pipettes into mushy goop. Messy.

It's probably solvents and volatiles in the fragrances. EO's have a similar effect, especially if they contain d-limonene, for example. Many FO's contain EO's to some degree. They'll dissolve common, low grade plastics, which is why they have to be shipped and stored in grades of plastic that are resistant... or glass. Plastic molds (not all) can also be damaged or destroyed by them.

• Like 1

I was wondering how it's possible that FOs are shipped in plastic containers yet eats through my plastic cups. I'm not too familiar with how plastic is graded so it's been an interesting learning experience! I too have used pipettes but haven't seen this sort of reaction, but it could also be that I haven't waited long enough. 

By solvents did you mean something like DiPropylene Glycol? And what do you mean by volatiles?

5 hours ago, Kerven said:

I've had FO's turn pipettes into mushy goop. Messy.

It's probably solvents and volatiles in the fragrances. EO's have a similar effect, especially if they contain d-limonene, for example. Many FO's contain EO's to some degree. They'll dissolve common, low grade plastics, which is why they have to be shipped and stored in grades of plastic that are resistant... or glass. Plastic molds (not all) can also be damaged or destroyed by them.

Some organic solvents/volatiles(VOC's) include, but not limited to: benzene, toluene, d-limonene, ethers, acetone/ketones, acetaldehyde, esters, chlorobenzene, phenols, aromatic hydrocarbons... Many are used in the fragrance industry. Even alcohols fall into the category, but we don't see those with candlemaking.

AFAIK, nonpolar solvents can damage polystyrene; "like dissolves like". DPG and PG are semi-polar, and, from the chemical reaction charts I took a peek at, pure DPG and PG aren't likely to damage polystyrene after 30 days of constant contact at 68-122F. That's not to say they will never cause damage. There may be some clouding of the plastic. (I had an FO sample bottle that did this. I think it was Grandma's Cupboard from RE.)

Edit: I meant volatiles as in VOC's. They have high vapor pressure at room temp which causes them to readily evaporate. Top notes in fragrances tend to be volatile.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, Kerven said:

Some organic solvents/volatiles(VOC's) include, but not limited to: benzene, toluene, d-limonene, ethers, acetone/ketones, acetaldehyde, esters, chlorobenzene, phenols, aromatic hydrocarbons... Many are used in the fragrance industry. Even alcohols fall into the category, but we don't see those with candlemaking.

AFAIK, nonpolar solvents can damage polystyrene; "like dissolves like". DPG and PG are semi-polar, and, from the chemical reaction charts I took a peek at, pure DPG and PG aren't likely to damage polystyrene after 30 days of constant contact at 68-122F. That's not to say they will never cause damage. There may be some clouding of the plastic. (I had an FO sample bottle that did this. I think it was Grandma's Cupboard from RE.)

Edit: I meant volatiles as in VOC's. They have high vapor pressure at room temp which causes them to readily evaporate. Top notes in fragrances tend to be volatile.

boy, are you talking over my head here...lol.  Any way, I use metal votive cups to measure out my oils