Should I wick up?

lilo

I'm working with C-3 soy wax. On my burn test without FO, ECO 8 was the best that performed on my "9 oz" straight sided jars. Now I'm not sure if I should size up. The pictures below are with FO (Pineapple Sage from CS). Firts picture is 2nd burn after 4h. 2nd picture is 3rd burn after 4h. (I know, I forgot to take a picture after the 1st burn test). What do you guys think? It achieved full meltpool after the 4th burn with some residue on the sides. HT I'll say is normal for a candle of this size. Flame height was adequate and minimal to no mushrooming.

20200914_113550.jpg

20200914_211546.jpg

Edited by lilo

14 minutes ago, lilo said:

I'm working with C-3 soy wax. On my burn test without FO, ECO 8 was the best that performed on my "9 oz" straight sided jars. Now I'm not sure if I should size up. The pictures below are with FO (Pineapple Sage from CS). Firts picture is 2nd burn after 4h. 2nd picture is 3rd burn after 4h. (I know, I forgot to take a picture after the 1st burn test). What do you guys think? It achieved full meltpool after the 4th burn with some residue on the sides. HT I'll say is normal for a candle of this size. Flame height was adequate and minimal to no mushrooming.

If it's cleaned itself up before the candle is done then that's good enough to me. The problem is if you wick up then you got more chance of mushrooming / smoke, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. Always worth a try though just to cross off the 'what if' scenario.

19 minutes ago, lilo said:

Honestly, I didn't. I didn't see the need to. It was relatively short every time. Do you trim them each time? Will appreciate any tips. 

Reason I asked is because sometimes people trim their wicks very short before they light when testing while their customers do not, so it produces two very different burns. When I test for sale I usually abuse it and do not trim as it is the worst case scenario. 

• Like 1