Show me your guns (heat guns, that is)!

I’m using one of these.  Has been going strong for a few years.

7967F039-20ED-4B97-A2D1-B52FF613DCFB.png

I had one more expensive brand before this one that was downright dangerous.  It had some sort of internal safety fan that would not turn off right away when switched off. 

the one before that had ceramic inside that shattered when I dropped it. 

saw a vid of a candle make on The Profit that uses a blow torch 😳

• Like 1

I'm using a smaller one now than the larger one I had before that finally went out, I think it was about fifteen years old.  I prefer the smaller one, which I think might be called a "mini heat gun" for embossing, even with that, it still blows a little more than I prefer and I had to rig a little foil cage for the nozzle.  Most likely, there are some models that come with an attachment of some sort so it doesn't blow so directly, but if you have ever watched "The Red Green Show," you'll understand how my foil cage came to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CandleRush said:

I have 2 kinds. Like the one talltayl has and an embossing heat gun or craft heat gun which I use. It gets plenty hot and it’s not heavy. Joanns had them at one point.🌸

That's exactly what I have, I keep the little one at my desk when I'm playing with wicking and use the Wagner for the workshop. 

I won't keep a bigger one at my desk, if you accidentally touch the end after heating some candles you can get some VERY nasty burns. 

1 hour ago, Shari said:

I have the Wagner posted above.  Been using it for several years now and still going strong.  I do have a new one just in case.  Got too good of a deal on it not to have an extra. 

Always good to have a hot backup! If I see them for less than $20 again I will likely get more. They are nice guns.

i melted one a little while back.  Used a metal candle dipper to “holster” it between uses instead of finding an open spot on the bench.  Don’t do that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pam W said:

I use an embossing gun that I purchased from the craft store....it's light weight and produces enough heat for me........I really don't like using the more heavier heat guns mainly because I don't need THAT much heat.

I agree, I like the smaller one I have now better than the larger one I finally wore out. 

Okay, so, in case anyone wasn't familiar with Red Green, I just looked him up to see what he does for a heat gun ... I see he did a short episode on it, but he was using hair dryers.  On this note, I've read of people using hair dryers, but it's really not a good idea, too much blowing air, could blow your wax all over, and could be dangerous ... I would have never thought these were interchangeable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought one when Peak's Candle sold them and it lasted a little over a year.  Used it to smooth the tops of my candles.  I ended up buying one from Amazon several years ago, and it's still going strong.  I think it is more of an embossing gun but it does the job perfectly.  At the time I paid around $16-18 for it.  It is basically like the one whose link I'm posting here:

https://www.amazon.com/Chandler-Tool-Embossing-Heat-Gun/dp/B07G4VMSHW

Forgot to mention it has 2 settings. Hth

Edited by Ravens
added text

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...