Florida Licensing advice please.

anainfl

I have dabbled a few months into cp soap and candles and would like to look at the possibility to turn this into a business. I have a perfect target market once I am done testing and perfecting. The question I have is that it seems candles, wax melts, and cp soap can legally be made from home in Florida, but my county and city I don't think allows any business from home that includes assembly, holding stock, or mailing of retail products from a home based business. I know there are candles makers here and possibly cp soap makers as well. How in the heck do I make this work as a home based business? If anyone has advice, it would be much appreciated. I'm feeling really really discouraged right now and feel there has to be a way to do this.....

To obtain a business license you must apply through your county/city/town. They should be able to direct you to what you need to do next. In Virginia I had to get a business license, register its name, and get a zoning permit. Since I live in a town the county also requires you apply for a license but not for home based businesses.

For additional help, go to the Small Business Association website and look for your local affiliate office and give them a call. You should bookmark the SBA website and make it your newest best friend as it has a wealth of information for the small business owner and start up business.

Also, you will need to register with your state department of taxation for a tax ID number to sell. Be sure to check out the requirements as you may be able to sell without registering in some states. In Virginia, you don't need a license if you make less than $800 per yr. I don't know what the rules are in Florida so be sure to check it out. It was free to register in Virginia and I am required to do my sales and use taxes quarterly. But when I first started I had to do it monthly. So make sure you find out the schedule for filing your sales tax and what the tax rates are. In Virginia when I first signed up they mailed me a kit with payment slips, a schedule to file, and a state tax rate chart.

You will need to decide what type of entity you want your business to be; sole proprietor, partnership, corporation, S corporation. And do you want it to be a LLC, etc. Each entity has its pros and cons and you need to be familiar with each to make the right decision.

You will also need to look into getting product and liability insurance if you plan to sell. You can find information on where to apply if you do a search in the business section of this forum.

I get my insurance through the Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild. They have an insurance program for members. But you must be a member and soapmaker to get the insurance. If you qualify they will also insure candles but you must be a soapmaker too.

There are more insurance companies to check out so shop and compare for your best deal and coverage.

Edited by Candybee
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I've owned another type of business in Florida, but again it's the city and county that are specifically the issue. I'll try the SBA locally and see if I can get some answers. The regulations here just don't make sense from what I find under ordinances for the county and city. Home based business that holds stock, assembles from home, or mails a product isn't allowed to operate. It seems to me that this makes no sense. Maybe the SBA can guide me. Again, thank you. 

• Like 1

I thought Los Angeles area in California was the worst when it comes to registering a home based candle/soap business, but your city and county is topping our regulations.

Consult with SBA, and you also want to talk to CPA.  My CPA helped me set up candle operation out of my house.