Business Evolving

MilosCandles

I just hit my 5 year anniversary for my candle business...  WOW what a journey so far.  

From a high level I am going to let you know that it is OK to change.  Change is good.  Just make changes carefully.

If you already do not know, I make candles in recycled beer and liquor bottles.  (Well aware of legal issue arguments)  When i started this business I was ONLY going to use glass bottles, nothing else!  Nothing!  This was the market I was going after!

I got an appt at a local gift shop, showed her my candles and she was like "Eh"...   and asked, do you make them in tins..  2 weeks into my official launch I was already changing what I was doing.  So I made her some sample tins and I also started selling tins.  I made Small (4oz) Medium (8oz) and Large (16ox tins).  

By xmas 2015 I had people asking for labels that were not made in bottles and only in cans.  UGH.  A little investigation work and I figured out how to make then in cans rather than bottles.  Decision was made, if they do a bottle then I would offer the cans for some of the beers people wanted.

At this same time I had an idea to use liquor bottles, well after some measuring and pricing my retail price was going to be $30.   Who would spend $30 for a liquor bottle candle.  Well they sold very well.

3-4 months into my adventure so many ideas and seeing what people wanted I was evolving. 

This generally was what I was doing for a few years, with smaller tweaks here and there.

About 3 years ago I stopped making the small tins.  The cost was almost the same as the Medium tins and I charged $4 more for those.

Some one on Etsy asked me about 2 years if I could make one in soda can.  Looked around and found a matching scent, and I made it.  listed it online and it started selling, then a diet version of that.  SURE.  Now this is a whole new line.  Found some other soda matching scents and listed them on etsy.

As my business has grown I needed to try and streamline some.  Last year I stopped selling the large tins, and just sell the med 8oz tins.

As I approach this holiday season I am looking to change and stream line more.  To try and avoid liquor bottle sales I have basically increased the price to $40 per candle.  They are very time consuming to make and costly to ship from East to West coast.  Add to the fact that I am not as easily getting the number of bottles as I use to because of covid.  (Supply and Demand)

In the last 6 months I now have a full soda can candle line which is extremely popular. 

Now I am thinking about no longer making candles in any glass bottles.  The labor to make a can candle is far less than a glass bottle.  Washing cans is easier that do not have a paper label on them. I can ship a can for $2 less than a bottle.  75% or more of my sales is already in cans rather than glass.  It is an obvious decision but 5 years ago, "I was ONLY going to use glass bottles, nothing else!  Nothing! "

Much of my decisions was based on seeing what the market wanted, what they were asking for, what they were looking for, most importantly what they were buying.  Do not be afraid to try something out of your niche.  I watch these shows on TV and the owners are so set in their ways and do not want to change.  Be willing to adapt and see what people want.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing your journey. I love the can idea and have tried it myself. I can’t cut the top off without there being a mark from the cutting tool. So, I’m working on that. Your message is clear though, explore other ways to produce your product. Thanks again, very inspiring!🌸👍

• Like 1