Help with HT please

Hi , I'm new to the forum thanks for any help you guys can offer!  A quest to fix my HT has brought me to this forum :) .  Anyway I have been making candles for over a year now, after testing and trying different waxes, containers and wicks, I finally settled on 9oz. straight sided jars (2.88 diameter), Soy wax 444, CD10 wicks and fragrance loads of 10% or 12%.  I heat to 180 degrees , add FO at 160 and pour at 130-135.  Somewhere along the line here I have lost my HT.  Is there anything glaring that you see in my process that could be causing this lack of HT?  I also just wonder how you actually test your hot throw?  I mean my candle is small so maybe its only good enough to fill a bathroom with scent rather than a family room with high ceilings?  Its just the feedback that I have been getting from people about the HT, the love the candle, the color, the presentation but a few people have definitely mentioned the lack of HT.  So thats is my process, if you see anything that stands out or have any helpful tips, I would sincerely appreciate it!!

Hi...It might be the soy 444,  I use soy 464 since early last year and pretty much fed up with it. I have tried so many  fo's and maybe 10 throw really good...very frustrating. So now I'm trying soy and coconut, (hope that will be better) just waiting for jars to arrive.

Good Luck💐   

It can be Due to so many different variables.

444 used to be a simple wax. The. Production moved to Central America and fell apart. Some people claim they are still getting reliable cases lots of wax.  Others are not.  They can vary quite a bit from batch to batch. Soy in general can be tricky to coax HT.

Along side this, fragrance houses were pressured to keep cost per lb down, so lots of reformulating. A couple of years ago three separate fires took out aromachemical companies overseas. Not sure we ever really fully recovered from that.

also, fragrances are usually compounded for multiple uses (soap, lotion, candles, etc) that they can’t be quite as potent or use the same aromachemicals since they must remain “skin safe”. 

let’s say the wax and FO are acceptable.  It could be something simple like changing wicks. It could be a different size, or different series. I tend to exhaust all wicks before throwing in the towel on a wax/fo.

keep going.  You will learn a lot of neat tricks along the way toward becoming a CraftServer Candleista.

• Like 1

I had just got another lot of 464 and 444 from CandleScience the other week and same problem, your process and wicking is very similar to the way I use those soy waxes so I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think the wax is bad, personally.

I have no cloudiness or excess moisture in the wax when melting it, it's perfectly normal, that's why I blame the wax itself and nothing in transit messing it up.