Emma

Hi,

Could anyone give me some much needed advise please?

I am new to selling my wax melts to the public, i have only ever made them for my own personal use. I am creating my CLP labels but the SDS sheet for my fragrance oil is flagging that the warning: Do not inhale, Vapours, fumes, dust or spray? I don't understand whether i should be using this oil or not in melts? When you warm the wax, would you not release a vapour? please forgive my ignorance. It is very important to me that the product i sell is safe for my customers. The oil is from a very reputable company and is suitable with wax and diffusers bases. I would really appreciate any support. Thank you so much x

You are not required to identify/list on your label the ingredients in your fragrance oil. Even if you could I don't know of any FO manufacturer that lists their ingredients as they are very secretive about them. Most customers understand the wax melts have fragrance oil in them as that is what they are buying. You can list on your label for label appeal if you use fragrance oil or essential oils, or if they are phthalate free, vegan, cruelty free, body safe, etc but only if you know that for a fact but it is not required.

Most candle makers and wax melt makers list the wax and fragrance oil and maybe a note about cotton wicks for candles etc. Anything else would be for label appeal. You can learn more about label requirements at the National Candle Association website.

Fragrances are changing fast in these recent times and as our culture is getting more health conscience fragrance manufacturers are reformulating to exclude certain cancer or carcinogenic ingredients in there formulations. Those of us who have been in the candlemaking industry for several years have seen the changes taking place and how it is impacting our finished product and sales. We will be seeing more of it as the fragrance industry is undergoing these changes.

Edited by Candybee

Hi Candybee,

thank you so much for your prompt response. 
I thought that the legislation had changed and that you are now required to add the Hazard warnings, ingredients to comply with legal requirements of labelling. As in harmful to aquatic life + all instructions for the customer in the event of skin irritation etc?

Thank You