Anyone using C3 lately?

I don't know this wax inside and out like some of my favs, but I've had good success with it when I've used it a few times in the past when I've had to use a higher MP soy.

I usually do 2 testers, one adding the FO at 185 and one at 165 then leave them to cure.  

I'm using CD / Eco wicks as I usually do in this wax, the burn itself looks great, and nice CT .....but there is zero HT. This is with FO's that I know throw at 7%, so I'm kind of weirded out by this.

I saw no problems with it like excess moisture or cloudiness when melting the wax, I'm not sure what else to try?  

44 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

C3 needs a pretty hot wick IMO

cure time matters too. It likes a long-ish cure. 

I even tried a wooden wick just to see if it would break out the HT, it did a bit but there's not much there. 

In the past I've found I like how it performs after about day 11, even though I know it seems like it has a never-ending cure time.

I guess I'll try and remember which FO's I used it with last time and maybe try some RRD / CSN with a longer cure before pointing the finger at the bags of wax thinking it's dodgy.

28 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I even tried a wooden wick just to see if it would break out the HT, it did a bit but there's not much there. 

In the past I've found I like how it performs after about day 11, even though I know it seems like it has a never-ending cure time.

I guess I'll try and remember which FO's I used it with last time and maybe try some RRD / CSN with a longer cure before pointing the finger at the bags of wax thinking it's dodgy.

Csn seem to burn much cooler  than CD, Eco, etc  RRD can coax HT sometimes if you don’t mind the burn behavior of down then out. the flame burns along the stalk of the wick versus the tip as opposed to other wicks.  

through research  of the wax technical docs,  C3 is a soy wax with a monoglyceride additive. Cargill makes a form of soy monoglyceride as a stabilizing food additive that is also apparently used in their candle wax. This monoglyceride additive is available through the candlemakers store as Universal Soy Additive (USA). 

When I add as little as 1% USA to any  wax it changes  the burn and hot throw dramatically. I have noticed a wick size difference of several sizes when using USA at as little as 2% (equivalent to a tablespoon and a pound of wax.)

you may want to try cottonwood wicks which seem to offer the most forgiving burns. The strands spacing seem to not cause the blockage that other coreless wicks can suffer from. 

• Like 1

Wick size matters with C3. And also they do keep changing the fragrance formulas which makes me crazy. Some fragrances just don’t cut it in wax anyway. I just did testers with some Flaming scents and some were so light I wondered why even sell them. Cured still light.

Would’nt even use them for bath and body certainly not in class soap.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Csn seem to burn much cooler  than CD, Eco, etc  RRD can coax HT sometimes if you don’t mind the burn behavior of down then out. the flame burns along the stalk of the wick versus the tip as opposed to other wicks.  

through research  of the wax technical docs,  C3 is a soy wax with a monoglyceride additive. Cargill makes a form of soy monoglyceride as a stabilizing food additive that is also apparently used in their candle wax. This monoglyceride additive is available through the candlemakers store as Universal Soy Additive (USA). 

When I add as little as 1% USA to any  wax it changes  the burn and hot throw dramatically. I have noticed a wick size difference of several sizes when using USA at as little as 2% (equivalent to a tablespoon and a pound of wax.)

you may want to try cottonwood wicks which seem to offer the most forgiving burns. The strands spacing seem to not cause the blockage that other coreless wicks can suffer from. 

So that USA additive is a good thing to try? I already thought about messing with some to add to 464 to harden it up a bit.

And yeah, I have all the cottonwood sizes I forgot about those I'll give them a shot. Since this is soy I'm sure they will produce a nice flame for hours instead of going crazy after a bit like in coconut or parasoy.

19 minutes ago, ErronB said:

So that USA additive is a good thing to try? I already thought about messing with some to add to 464 to harden it up a bit.

And yeah, I have all the cottonwood sizes I forgot about those I'll give them a shot. Since this is soy I'm sure they will produce a nice flame for hours instead of going crazy after a bit like in coconut or parasoy.

464 has its own additives, and may not benefit from USA. The USA will likely dampen Ht, and raise the temp needed to burn. It is not a magic ingredient, but can have its place with some waxes. 

I tried USA as an additive for coconut waxes. Was shocked in one case to need a csn22 just to burn one of my candles let alone smell it. I pushed that envelope a little toooo far with 10%, lol.  

uSA was popular in 415 once upon a time to smooth out some of the ugliness of the plain soy. All that changed when 415 suffered quality changes Just like 464 and 444.

I would give the CW wicks a go for sure before anything else. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

464 has its own additives, and may not benefit from USA. The USA will likely dampen Ht, and raise the temp needed to burn. It is not a magic ingredient, but can have its place with some waxes. 

I tried USA as an additive for coconut waxes. Was shocked in one case to need a csn22 just to burn one of my candles let alone smell it. I pushed that envelope a little toooo far with 10%, lol.  

uSA was popular in 415 once upon a time to smooth out some of the ugliness of the plain soy. All that changed when 415 suffered quality changes Just like 464 and 444.

I would give the CW wicks a go for sure before anything else. 

Thanks, will give the CW's a shot tonight. My last bag of 444 was unusable, I couldn't get a good HT out of it at all. The 464 I got at the same time, the HT is absolutely slammin, I wish it didn't have such a low MP.

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

Thanks, will give the CW's a shot tonight. My last bag of 444 was unusable, I couldn't get a good HT out of it at all. The 464 I got at the same time, the HT is absolutely slammin, I wish it didn't have such a low MP.

the last 3 cases of 444 I bought wouldn't even burn, let alone throw :(

Have you tried blending a little of the 444 with your 464 to see if the strengths of one offset the weaknesses of the other? I would probably start at 10% 444 90% 464.

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

the last 3 cases of 444 I bought wouldn't even burn, let alone throw :(

Have you tried blending a little of the 444 with your 464 to see if the strengths of one offset the weaknesses of the other? I would probably start at 10% 444 90% 464.

Man.... it is so sad the state of soy these days. I threw out the rest of the 444 already, only had a few LB's left or I'd try it. I hate throwing out wax but I don't have the space on my shelves for any more dead supplies at the moment lol.

I tried my final attempt at pouring some 464 today and it worked out thank god, I had no other soy backup because I can't get this C3 to throw right now. I have some slabs of Ceda Serica sitting around still, I might have to try adding some of that to the 464 to harden it up to get something closer to the C3.