Bottles used by suppliers

birdcharm

It seems that every supplier I've ever ordered fragrance oils from uses a different type of bottle.  I'm not sure if this would be of interest to anyone, or if it matters to some, but I thought I'd throw it out here just in case.  I've read posts in the past that commented on the bottling, so I think it may have some influence upon buying decisions when it gets down to the finer points.  I'll start with some that I know of and if anyone is interested, please add your comments!   Excuse me for not exactly knowing what the bottles are called.

Here's a couple off the top of my head, I'll think of more later ...

Wholesale Supply Plus (WSP) - It came as a big surprise to me when I first ordered from this company when I found out that they "bottle" in amber glass, but they're like little jars, not bottles.  They're good for storage, but pouring from them is a pain, even with a mini funnel and it takes too long to use a dropper, so I always have to rebottle for what I wish to use.  Note: I've only ordered 2-oz. & 4-oz. from this company, other sizes may be different, but most likely a large amber glass "pill bottle" ... if someone could verify, it might be helpful for some.

Lonestar - amber plastic (HDPE - hard plastic) (I only ordered 1-ounce samples so far)

... to be continued

I just save different flip caps from FO bottles and reuse them when I reorder FOs. That way I can just switch out the caps/lids to the flip caps when I buy new FOs pour my oils out much easier. So it really doesn't matter which bottles a supplier uses. I understand they have to go with what works best for them and not all suppliers are gonna use the same bottle so its not a problem.

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

WSP uses normal Amber Boston rounds for 1#

to pour from the wide mouth smaller bottles, hold a stick across the mouth, and pour down the stick. The surface tension holds it 🤗

That's a good idea, thanks!  I've been in the habit of switching into other bottles that I can pour from, the wide-mouth offers me too many opportunities for down the side drips, I try to be careful, but it's just one of those things I guess.

45 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I just save different flip caps from FO bottles and reuse them when I reorder FOs. That way I can just switch out the caps/lids to the flip caps when I buy new FOs pour my oils out much easier. So it really doesn't matter which bottles a supplier uses. I understand they have to go with what works best for them and not all suppliers are gonna use the same bottle so its not a problem.

As long as it's a bottle that fits with the replacement caps with the pouring fixture (can't think of name) that pulls out, I do that also.  The ones I'm thinking of fit 8 oz. & 16 oz. cylinder bottles.  Most places do use bottles, so then it's not an issue much about the pouring, the jars are a bit of another story, at least for me.

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of other bottles just to continue on this, not that it's very important as Candybee has pointed out, but just because.

The other thing that comes to mind is the opaque quality of the plastic bottles.  For scents that are stored for any period of time, opaque is better; and, the hard plastic is better, imo, so if it's not glass, then hard amber plastic seems to be a little better for storage if you can't move over or purchase in glass.  I think Fillmore Container ships in amber glass, but that is heavy to ship. 

From what I recall, I think Candles & Supplies ships in opaque plastic, or at least they used to, as Candlemakers also used to, and may still.  There are some scents I used to enjoy from Wellington, which they have now cancelled, to my dismay (Lettuce, Bluebonnet) and they used to bottle in frosted cylinders for 8 oz. & 16 oz., but now they are a hard clear plastic (Elements also uses a similar type), so I have to rebottle if I order from them or make sure they're in a dark corner; their 1/2 oz. samples, however, come in amber glass.  I think the Candle Source is also a frosted cylinder, Cierra is on a similar bottle if I remember correctly. 

I guess for me it's both a storage issue as well as a use issue and I do prefer certain types of bottles over others, so I just rebottle.  This isn't a complaint thread, I just thought this may be of interest to some.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I prefer PET over hdpe.  HDPE can soften and the sides “suck in” over time, 

Oh, yes!  Sorry ... those little brown ones I referred to are actually PET, not HDPE ... which sure do tend to do some strange things over time!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, birdcharm said:

As long as it's a bottle that fits with the replacement caps with the pouring fixture (can't think of name) that pulls out, I do that also.  The ones I'm thinking of fit 8 oz. & 16 oz. cylinder bottles.  Most places do use bottles, so then it's not an issue much about the pouring, the jars are a bit of another story, at least for me.

Don't recall ever getting any FOs in jars. But I have had EOs from Camden that have started coming in those aluminum bottles with the wide mouth and tamper proof twist tops. IDK, the aluminum bottles just kind of irritate me for a variety of reasons. Plus, none of my flip caps will fit the tops. But they seem to pour okay you just have to be more careful as more comes out the top cause of their wider mouth openings.

21 hours ago, Candybee said:

Can I ask where you get the flip tops from? How do you know what size to get? I'm new to this and I am noticing that the tops of the bottles vary . Or: Is it better to get bottles with droppers? All I see is glass in that type. Not the best for me: I'm clumsy. I have bought the one size only caps from FB and they're great and very reasonable...but I don't need more FO now and I feel funny ordering just lids. I guess I can twist my arm into buying more FO LOL.

BTW I was not sure how to comment/reply to your post so forgiveme if I did it incorrectly (which I'm bettering I did since this is NOT a quote. Please advise.

Thank you in advance,

-Karen, wild4watmelts

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Candybee said:

Don't recall ever getting any FOs in jars. But I have had EOs from Camden that have started coming in those aluminum bottles with the wide mouth and tamper proof twist tops. IDK, the aluminum bottles just kind of irritate me for a variety of reasons. Plus, none of my flip caps will fit the tops. But they seem to pour okay you just have to be more careful as more comes out the top cause of their wider mouth openings.

WSP smaller FO bottles are the wide mouth Boston rounds. Weird, but distinctive.  Can be reused for maybe a small reed diffuser.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

WSP smaller FO bottles are the wide mouth Boston rounds. Weird, but distinctive.  Can be reused for maybe a small reed diffuser.

Yeah I've had a few come in the boston rounds but not any wide mouth.... not yet! LOL I am chalking up the unusual bottles as due to the bottle shortages during to the pandemic. Some suppliers warned that some supplies may come in different bottles. 

I've had to consider some unusual bottles for some of my products while the shortage was at its worst but fortunately they just came out a different style or color so far. Whenever I am seeing my bottles in stock I am buying extra to have on hand. I am sure I am not the only one and unfortunately that sort of stocking is not helping with the shortages.

2 hours ago, wild4waxmelts said:

Can I ask where you get the flip tops from? How do you know what size to get? I'm new to this and I am noticing that the tops of the bottles vary . Or: Is it better to get bottles with droppers? All I see is glass in that type. Not the best for me: I'm clumsy. I have bought the one size only caps from FB and they're great and very reasonable...but I don't need more FO now and I feel funny ordering just lids. I guess I can twist my arm into buying more FO LOL.

BTW I was not sure how to comment/reply to your post so forgiveme if I did it incorrectly (which I'm bettering I did since this is NOT a quote. Please advise.

Thank you in advance,

-Karen, wild4watmelts

I have been saving flip top caps and other types of pour spout caps over the years. Once I finish off a bottle I save the pour cap and use it on a new bottle. I wash them off and store them in a container until I need them. I have several for different size bottles. I think I have even bought a few extra when I buy supplies over the years just so I can use them for FO bottles. Some suppliers send bottles with pour spout caps or flip caps and I just save them. Its been a years and years long process. I am glad I did cause now its hard to buy flip top caps or spout caps because they are always out of stock.