Etsy Sellers - Glitch fro 7/27/2020

TallTayl

If you were printing Etsy shipping labels yesterday, check your Etsy finance and your linked credit card accounts.  Late in the afternoon some programming error was charging 100 times the label value immediately to credit cards, often bypassing the etsy finance system. It showed up correctly on most Etsy dashboards, but when people checked their CC charges, many were horribly surprised. A $7 postage label was charged as $700. Some sellers amassed bills in the thousands of dollars before catching the problem.

Etsy had been acting glitchy all afternoon, so I gave up shipping for the day before the BIG glitch hit.

So now I'm distrustful of etsy.  Several years ago, I created a shop and figured I'd get back to it at a later date.  At that time, you could sell something and your buyer could send their payment to your Paypal account.  Recently I learned that in order to sell there, you must sign onto etsy payments and in order to do so, they need all of your bank account information, plus last four digits of your SS.  So how secure is their system to have all of this personal data on their files?  To read now about this glitch makes me ask myself that question over again.  I guess I won't be opening up an etsy shop, must be meant to do something else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

So now I'm distrustful of etsy.  Several years ago, I created a shop and figured I'd get back to it at a later date.  At that time, you could sell something and your buyer could send their payment to your Paypal account.  Recently I learned that in order to sell there, you must sign onto etsy payments and in order to do so, they need all of your bank account information, plus last four digits of your SS.  So how secure is their system to have all of this personal data on their files?  To read now about this glitch makes me ask myself that question over again.  I guess I won't be opening up an etsy shop, must be meant to do something else.

.That is an extremely good question. How secure is it? I noticed when they went public all sorts of things kind of went to hell in a handbasket. I sell enough there to stay interested but prefer my own site. Not to say that my payment gateway is perfect.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:53 PM, birdcharm said:

This is exactly why I closed my Etsy shop when they implemented the Etsy payments!! PayPal has my bank info already.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lizzy said:

This is exactly why I closed my Etsy shop when they implemented the Etsy payments!! PayPal has my bank info already.

Yes.  I have a feeling others will do the same.  I closed what I had started several years back with intentions to get back to over this weekend, sending the following attached message:

"Being forced to use the etsy payment program is not suitable for me.  When I first signed up, it looked as though if I were to consider a little shop in the future, that I could have the payments sent to my Paypal account, as that is how the program worked.  So, at the current time, I was working on setting up shop, and the payment program has changed so that I have to receive payments to my bank account, which doesn't work for me.  Thank you."

I know I didn't complain about the fact that they want to gather my personal info, including birth date too (I neglected to add that in a previous post), but I didn't want to start ranting. 🥰

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:07 PM, TallTayl said:

.That is an extremely good question. How secure is it? I noticed when they went public all sorts of things kind of went to hell in a handbasket. I sell enough there to stay interested but prefer my own site. Not to say that my payment gateway is perfect.

I would echo that going public has been bad for sellers.  Working hard to keep shareholders happy often comes at the expense of sellers. 

They dropped letting you use your own PayPal.  They hiked fees, and take them out of shipping money and even sales tax. They force you to offer free shipping or penalize you in internal SEO.  Now the forced 12% ad fees for the lifetime of your shop.  I don't get to choose which items to feature in the ads, and I don't get to choose a minimum sale.  I can't opt out.   Many of those forced ad sales have resulted in a net profit for me of about $2 -- not worth getting out of bed for.

Of course we can always adapt our business plan, but it gets to the point of ridiculous.  If you have to raise prices every few months to accommodate their latest schemes, it's nuts.  This platform made sense for me when I started out.  Now it's evolved into something else.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I would echo that going public has been bad for sellers.  Working hard to keep shareholders happy often comes at the expense of sellers. 

They dropped letting you use your own PayPal.  They hiked fees, and take them out of shipping money and even sales tax. They force you to offer free shipping or penalize you in internal SEO.  Now the forced 12% ad fees for the lifetime of your shop.  I don't get to choose which items to feature in the ads, and I don't get to choose a minimum sale.  I can't opt out.   Many of those forced ad sales have resulted in a net profit for me of about $2 -- not worth getting out of bed for.

Of course we can always adapt our business plan, but it gets to the point of ridiculous.  If you have to raise prices every few months to accommodate their latest schemes, it's nuts.  This platform made sense for me when I started out.  Now it's evolved into something else.

I agree.  I keep raising prices and sending business cards to my own site with orders.  If customers want convenience and “security”  of shopping at Etsy they can pay for it 🤷🏻‍♀️ If it is cheaper to not sell an item than to make, pack,ship,and deal with the stuff that goes along with it, I would rather make no money watching netflix or petting my dog. 

• Haha 1