Summer shipping & packaging issues

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me as I've been searching for weeks and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for?

All the products I ship out are holding up fine in the summer heat, with the exception of my emulsified sugar scrubs. I've recently reformulated my recipe to increase it's melting point, and I'm still having issues. The glass jars are leaking during transit! I prefer glass over plastic, and already have all the jars so I'm REALLY trying to work with what I have rather than order different jars. The lids have a silicone seal, and seem to close securely in my opinion. I've tried putting saran wrap under the lid, sealing it, then wrapping the whole jar in bubble wrap. I'm already using an ice pack, which is obviously not lasting long enough since customers are saying the ice pack is completely warm on arrival. 

I'm hesitant to keep tweaking my recipe and now looking at different packaging options. 

I'm fine with the scrub arriving soft, since I include a printed card that explains that the customer should place the product in the fridge for a little while before opening if necessary. But I'm NOT ok with the leaking! (Obviously..lol).

I'm looking for the best way to seal the jar. What have you all had the best luck with? Am I better off purchasing seals to go over the rim of the jar? (I've read these work great for plastic but not as well for glass). I've read some people use teflon tape around the jar threads but I can't find a "clear" tape option online and any other color would look strange. Should I shrink wrap the entire jar? It's a unique shape so I'm unsure how viable this option is. Is there a more effective ice-pack option out there that won't cost too much. 

Sorry this post is so long but as you can tell, I'm extremely frustrated! :(  I launched my business in March and it's been going SO well until now! I'm about ready to discontinuing my scrubs until the weather cools down but there's got to be a better way to do this!!! Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

IMG_8049.jpg

I no longer ship items that will melt in the heat of summer.   You will need to invest in dry ice packs or better ice packs.  You could try wrapping the tops with electrical tape but it's not going to stop the melting.   I don't ship those items mid June-August.   My regular customers are aware and plan accordingly.   I want my products to arrive in the very best of conditions.  Plus if melting occurs it causes separation and other issues that are not part of my quality control.    I don't use glass as I had a couple customers accidently drop the jar in the beginning many years ago.  Plus it's heavier and more costly to ship.  

I’m in northern IL and just can’t fight Mother Nature. sometimes products just need to be seasonal. Some tricks that helped, but did not solve the problems:

- ship only on Monday or Tuesday to ensure shortest time in transit

- freeze some packing peanuts, and use to insulate around the jar. This will require a larger box than usual to facilitate enough insulation. 

- try finding a gellant  to use in your formula. Since your product is anhydrous, your choices are limited, but available.

- look to other beauty products for formulation ingredients. Lipstick, for instance, uses different waxes to hold the product intact even in a hot car or pocket. Check out TKB trading and other cosmetic manufacturers for ideas. Stearic acid,  Beeswax, Castor wax, ozokerite, candelilla, rice bran, Cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, BTMS, etc. are all helpful at low %. Combining some create a synergy that ends with a beautiful luxurious feel. 

- High melt point oils and butters, like hydrogenated coconut oil, high melt point Shea, etc. can help keep the product more heat stable depending on the entire formula. 

- pressure sensitive jar seals like these can help if the rim is spic and span clean to ensure a tight seal. https://www.berlinpackaging.com/1111c17-50-mm-white-with-red-print-foam-pressure-sensitive-liner/?promo=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiJqZm-7M6gIVBL7ACh2o3A-yEAQYASABEgLUkvD_BwE

Good luck! Please keep us updated of your experiments (good and bad).

• Like 1