I don't understand LX wicks...

No matter if I start them at 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 inch they always mushroom and smoke, anything over a size 10 or 12. 

I keep seeing all these people enjoying the bigger sizes like LX18 in all kinds of wax blends in tins and self-trimming nicely but they have NEVER worked for me and I just don't get it. If I use a size 18 I just get a mega black smoke fest after it's broken in, no matter what paraffin or parasoy I'm using.

At the moment I'm playing with CBL-125 / 130 and I can't wick them for sh*t. The hot throw is great but any self-trimming wicks I use are having problems even with 6% FO and no dye in anything 3" diameter like a 8oz tin.

What's the sorcery behind them? I really want to like them....

Personally, I don't like LX in either of those waxes either.  

Edited by bfroberts
ETA: I should say....sometimes they can do well in the 125, but they definitely are not my go-to wick for either of those waxes.

I only use LX wicks in Pillars so I can't help with containers but from personal experience and testing the CBL 130 (on it's own) I can recommend Eco Wicks. I tried CD's and Zincs but the Eco's did the best job with amazing throw.

14 hours ago, ErronB said:

What works best for you? I'm guessing zinc, and what else? lol

I like zinc in the CBL125 and Eco in CBL130.  But I never fully rely on a single wick series for any wax. There are always a few FOs that will do better with a different series or I'll need an in between size and have to go with a different series and so on.  I always keep these:  RRD, HTP, CD, zinc and Eco, but I use more zinc and Eco's than anything else.  I used to like LX pretty well in both 6006 and 4630, but then 6006 got stupid and when I threw that over for CBL130 I also started using CBL125 instead of 4630.  

8 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I like zinc in the CBL125 and Eco in CBL130.  But I never fully rely on a single wick series for any wax. There are always a few FOs that will do better with a different series or I'll need an in between size and have to go with a different series and so on.  I always keep these:  RRD, HTP, CD, zinc and Eco, but I use more zinc and Eco's than anything else.  I used to like LX pretty well in both 6006 and 4630, but then 6006 got stupid and when I threw that over for CBL130 I also started using CBL125 instead of 4630.  

That's why I decided to try these new CBL waxes out, 6006 burns weird for me now, I don't like the newer stuff.

I will try some Eco's out but I've got a feeling it's gonna be the same story as the other wicks I''ve been testing with these waxes. I can get a flawless burning candle in something small like jelly jars or tiny tins, but anything over like 2.5 inches it becomes too stubborn to get a burn with wicks that can keep a sensible flame height.

I guess I'll drop the whole LX thing now lol, I think I've finally aceepted they are not worth wasting any more time on them.

11 hours ago, Candybee said:

LX are designed for pillars. They just don't work well in container candles. I use them for paraffin or palm pillars.

Even Candle Science recommends using them in several container blends, which is funny. But then again, I wouldn't ever claim they really know what they're doing lol.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ErronB said:

Even Candle Science recommends using them in several container blends, which is funny. But then again, I wouldn't ever claim they really know what they're doing lol.

Best way to find out is do some research through the top wick manufacturers to find out exactly what their wicks are designed for. This is how I found out LX were designed for pillars. Yes you can use them in container candles after all they are wicks, but they work best in pillars first and containers second. Or you can take the word of CS but I think you are already finding out they don't always know what is best when it comes to wicks. CS can give you a starting point but its up to you to find the right wick. Try researching Wedo, Heinz, Atkins, Pearce, Sao Vitor, etc. 

Here, Wicks Unlimited is a good source for learning about how wicks work, different manufacturers, how wicks burn properly/poorly, etc. https://wicksunlimited.com/

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Candybee said:

Best way to find out is do some research through the top wick manufacturers to find out exactly what their wicks are designed for. This is how I found out LX were designed for pillars. Yes you can use them in container candles after all they are wicks, but they work best in pillars first and containers second. Or you can take the word of CS but I think you are already finding out they don't always know what is best when it comes to wicks. CS can give you a starting point but its up to you to find the right wick. Try researching Wedo, Heinz, Atkins, Pearce, Sao Vitor, etc. 

Here, Wicks Unlimited is a good source for learning about how wicks work, different manufacturers, how wicks burn properly/poorly, etc. https://wicksunlimited.com/

I have spoken to them a couple times in the past. I'm just too much of a perfectionist with candles. I have some flawless burning candles with HTP but I hate having to wick them slightly off-center to have a properly centered melt pool. The twist thing doesn't work all the time so I stopped doing it. 

I think getting away from HTP is only really digging myself a deeper hole. The HT is noticeably better with CD or Eco but they just burn too dirty for me, that's why I really liked the idea of LX, because it's a (mostly) straight burning wick, but I've now accepted the fact I can't use anything bigger than a 10/12 because it won't burn clean or self-trim in containers for me. I guess they'd still be good for really small tins or votives, though.

Edited by ErronB