What's going on with these wicks?

6006 wax, HTP wicks, 8oz tin, no FO.

I'm testing 3 different sized wicks and I'm really confused as to what's going on here.

This is 2 hours into the 1st burn. 

HTP-62 seems to be burning the cleanest. Tin looks brightly lit and there's a tiny shroom but not bad.

HTP-73 is really strange. Big shroom, and the flame seems to be burning below (?) the tip of the wick...which is making the entire tin less bright.

HTP-83 also has a shrrom, but somehow even though the wick is bigger, the flame is burning at the tip of the wick, and the tin is brightly lit.

I'm confused...why would the HTP-73 burn so differently than the others?

(One caveat is that the 2 smaller wicks didn't start with a full tin, they were both slightly less than full. HTP-83 is the only tin that started full)

wicks-1.png

wicks-2.png

Edited by candleshiba

Sometimes the cut on the wick end is not “sharp” and begins  trapping carbon.

the middle one looks like it is trying to draw too much fuel for the flame. Could be the end has just clogged, forcing combustion lower.

I would knock off the carbon and see if they all burn better. Sometimes the problem is on the first burn and fine thereafter.

• Like 1

It's not a wax I've used, but I'm pretty familiar with HTP wicks (they're not always my choice, however) ... I did a quick search on the board here for your wax and I see there have been a lot of threads about it ... I just glanced through the search result page and see that someone commented that this wax should cure for at least a couple of weeks.  So, I'm wondering if your candles cured for a period of time before your testing.

13 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It's not a wax I've used, but I'm pretty familiar with HTP wicks (they're not always my choice, however) ... I did a quick search on the board here for your wax and I see there have been a lot of threads about it ... I just glanced through the search result page and see that someone commented that this wax should cure for at least a couple of weeks.  So, I'm wondering if your candles cured for a period of time before your testing.

Yep, I cured all of these for a little over 2 weeks!

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Sometimes the cut on the wick end is not “sharp” and begins  trapping carbon.

the middle one looks like it is trying to draw too much fuel for the flame. Could be the end has just clogged, forcing combustion lower.

I would knock off the carbon and see if they all burn better. Sometimes the problem is on the first burn and fine thereafter.

Thank you @TallTayl ! I think you're right, I vaguely remember taking a 2nd pass at cutting those wicks with a blunt scissor yesterday. So I removed the wicks last night and put new ones in today. Made sure to use a sharper set of scissors this time and cut them only once. The results are SO interesting. Not only are they all burning as expected, the mushrooms have reduced noticeably!

Here's a look at the 2nd burn with new wicks and sharper scissors, about 1.5hrs into the burn.

*happy dance*. Really learning something new about wicks everyday!

yee.jpg

Edited by candleshiba
  • Thanks 1

Super! 
it looks like you can easily wick up on them from the pics. 

in tins, usually by that mid point In the melt pool  you should see more melt from the top part. But I could be totally wrong with your wax, especially if it gets hot during a longer burn or power burn.

keep going. Will be interested to see how they end up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 10:26 AM, TallTayl said:

Super! 
it looks like you can easily wick up on them from the pics. 

in tins, usually by that mid point In the melt pool  you should see more melt from the top part. But I could be totally wrong with your wax, especially if it gets hot during a longer burn or power burn.

keep going. Will be interested to see how they end up. 

Finally got around to finish burning these candles in case you were interested!

Up until the last 20% I was sure that I underwicked these candles...but then it all caught up in the end. Pretty surprising results!

Not sure how adding FO will change the burn characteristics, but it was a neat little experiment to run. I would be interested in trying another wick up to see the difference.

This is the third burn around hour 5. Interestingly enough htp-73 burned the fastest and has the biggest shroom, but it might also be because I started with less wax? Can't quite remember!

burnburn.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Checking in with you about a year later! I'm about to make the switch to HTPs and am curious how it is going. HTP 83 seems to be the closest to what I'm used to using (CD8 and ECO 10 ) and it looks good on your pictures. Do you find yourself mostly using that one after testing with fragrance oil in that tin? I just started testing and am trying to get an idea of the range I will use. TY!