Freedom Wax vs 464

This may be a stupid question, but I've gotten mixed answers from suppliers I've asked...

Is Freedom Wax pellets the same as GW464 flakes? I'm working through a 50lb box of 464 and was thinking to also maybe try the freedom wax, but have heard it's the same thing?? 

Any info here would be a huge help. Thanks!

1 hour ago, lisamrtr said:

This may be a stupid question, but I've gotten mixed answers from suppliers I've asked...

Is Freedom Wax pellets the same as GW464 flakes? I'm working through a 50lb box of 464 and was thinking to also maybe try the freedom wax, but have heard it's the same thing?? 

That is the 64 thousand dollar question. An announcement from American soy came out a few months ago announcing they would be producing 464 in pastille form. Since then many have said they deny freedom wax is 464.  But then.... the web site says...

EAA164CB-0031-4A2B-88CB-ED91A8D0A045.jpeg

I have a bag and it sure looks, feels and performs like 464.

draw your own conclusion I guess. 🤣. Maybe it is a branding issue?

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That is the 64 thousand dollar question. An announcement from American soy came out a few months ago announcing they would be producing 464 in pastille form. Since then many have said they deny freedom wax is 464.  But then.... the web site says...

EAA164CB-0031-4A2B-88CB-ED91A8D0A045.jpeg

I have a bag and it sure looks, feels and performs like 464.

draw your own conclusion I guess. 🤣. Maybe it is a branding issue?

This is exactly the kind of confusion I’m finding when I try to search about it!! Lol nowhere is there a straight answer to this question. And now curiosity is getting the best of me and I have to see if the freedom will be different from 464 in any way. I’m reading a lot of things about 464 having inconsistent fragrance throws and batches in general which makes me very nervous. Just want a consistent, well working base to get my company off the ground ! 

26 minutes ago, lisamrtr said:

This is exactly the kind of confusion I’m finding when I try to search about it!! Lol nowhere is there a straight answer to this question. And now curiosity is getting the best of me and I have to see if the freedom will be different from 464 in any way. I’m reading a lot of things about 464 having inconsistent fragrance throws and batches in general which makes me very nervous. Just want a consistent, well working base to get my company off the ground ! 

I understand your frustration. There have been inconsistency issues with golden brands waxes for years for sure. Box to box you get a different product.

I wouldn’t say that freedom wax is an excellent throwing wax though. Fragrance throw I’m finding is just so so. But all of American soy waxes are consistent from batch to batch. At least those that I have used.

In your opinion, what is the best soy wax for fragrance throw? 

I guess it would help regardless having peace of mind that freedom will be consistent once I learn the temps and amounts that work best. After all this testing it would be absolutely AWFUL if the next box of 464 was completely different and my method was irrelevant with the new batch 😰

15 minutes ago, lisamrtr said:

In your opinion, what is the best soy wax for fragrance throw? 

I guess it would help regardless having peace of mind that freedom will be consistent once I learn the temps and amounts that work best. After all this testing it would be absolutely AWFUL if the next box of 464 was completely different and my method was irrelevant with the new batch 😰

None are great. Performance ultimately depends on your containers and fragrances.

I leaned on C1 as a base wax for the last several years. It met my needs of price point and burn qualities in tins. It is more consistent than golden brands waxes, but still can vary. Prior to C1, I used C3 for many years. Both waxes have their strengths and weaknesses, so I blend to mitigate the features I do not like.

make a list of the most important things in your candles, and then choose a wax that meets those “must haves”. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 6:59 PM, lisamrtr said:

You likely won't see a difference in how the two perform for you.  Use the same wick, the same fragrance load, and the same pouring temperatures for an identical result.  If you see a difference at all, it will be that the Freedom Wax is much easier to use and is far more consistent batch-to-batch. 

Cheers!

Eric