Wax leaking from pillar mold

Help for a newbie? I saw an archived post on this, but...I have a smaller pillar mold I've been using, and no matter what I've tried, the wax keeps leaking out! I've tried tape, metal tape, aluminum foil, wax sealer, nothing works. Am I pouring too hot? Should I try something else? Thank you!

What wax, temp and mold size? 
if the hole is too big, using a small screw to hold the wick can help seal the hole. 

also, when using metal tape, use the high temp kind,  cover the hole with Two lengths of metal tape in a criss cross and rub them down To seal really well. 

the only catastrophic leaks I have had were with wax that was just too hot.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, The Debra said:

Help for a newbie? I saw an archived post on this, but...I have a smaller pillar mold I've been using, and no matter what I've tried, the wax keeps leaking out! I've tried tape, metal tape, aluminum foil, wax sealer, nothing works. Am I pouring too hot? Should I try something else? Thank you!

Go to the Home Depot and get yourself some plumbers putty. Its real cheap and you get a ton of it.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:08 AM, TallTayl said:

Does it leave any residue on the wick? 

I use plumber's putty exclusively when I use braided wicks.......no issues with it leaving any residue on the wick...and besides the putty is on the bottom/outside of the mold so it doesn't come in contact with the wick it's self except the very bottom end of the wick which has nothing to do with the actual burning of the candle.

I even cover the hole in the mold with a little bit when using pre-tabbed wicks.....just to prevent any unwanted leakage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam W said:

I use plumber's putty exclusively when I use braided wicks.......no issues with it leaving any residue on the wick...and besides the putty is on the bottom/outside of the mold so it doesn't come in contact with the wick it's self except the very bottom end of the wick which has nothing to do with the actual burning of the candle.

I even cover the hole in the mold with a little bit when using pre-tabbed wicks.....just to prevent any unwanted leakage.

My pillar mold’s concave candle  “top”  is on the “bottom” when pouring.  Once upon a time I used putty and it gummed up my wick that sticks through the little hole enough to be unpleasant.  I use unprimed square braid if that matters. The high temp metal tape sometimes leaks a tiny bit if poured too hot, which primes the candle so not a bad deal. Palm is the only wild child since it has to be poured so darned hot! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 7:08 AM, TallTayl said:

Does it leave any residue on the wick? 

Same answer as Pam W :D Can't beat it. Plumbers putty is so cheap and easy to find at any Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 3:14 PM, CaptnKush said:

Same answer as Pam W :D Can't beat it. Plumbers putty is so cheap and easy to find at any Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.

I'm just guessing here but follow me for a moment:  I use concave molds so when I put the putty on the bottom of the mold prior to pouring, I don't take any measurements as to what the exact measurement of the wick is from the candle surface to the end of the final wick trim...I'm just guessing but I think the final length of the wick is ok and doesn't have any of the putty left on the tip of the wick......anyway, never had a problem :-)

Only problem I have with the putty is that I use only maybe 1/3 of the container before it dries up and becomes unusable.....oh well, I guess that means that I need to pour more pillers :-)

23 minutes ago, Pam W said:

I'm just guessing here but follow me for a moment:  I use concave molds so when I put the putty on the bottom of the mold prior to pouring, I don't take any measurements as to what the exact measurement of the wick is from the candle surface to the end of the final wick trim...I'm just guessing but I think the final length of the wick is ok and doesn't have any of the putty left on the tip of the wick......anyway, never had a problem :-)

Only problem I have with the putty is that I use only maybe 1/3 of the container before it dries up and becomes unusable.....oh well, I guess that means that I need to pour more pillers :-)

Yes thats a thing with plumbers putty it doesn't last the longest, but Hey its super cheap and don't need to go to a hobby store to get it :D You can add linseed oil to soften it up if you don't want to keep buying it.