6006 Wick/Jar Question

If you're not getting a good hot throw from 6006 then it's probably your process, I can't even think of a wick in 6006 that hasn't given off hot throw at 6% fragrance load unless it was miles too big or it was a fragrance that needed curing for a week or 2.

The only thing I can suggest is making sure you're adding the FO hot at 185-190 and curing it for at least a week. Wicking is such a personal thing so there isn't really a one shot for any wax, I would try small CD sizes and HTP myself. Others would probably say LX as well but I've never gotten them to work properly.

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

If you're not getting a good hot throw from 6006 then it's probably your process, I can't even think of a wick in 6006 that hasn't given off hot throw at 6% fragrance load unless it was miles too big or it was a fragrance that needed curing for a week or 2.

The only thing I can suggest is making sure you're adding the FO hot at 185-190 and curing it for at least a week. Wicking is such a personal thing so there isn't really a one shot for any wax, I would try small CD sizes and HTP myself. Others would probably say LX as well but I've never gotten them to work properly.

Thank you. Could you suggest a CD wick?  I’ve tried HTP 93 and thought it was good and HTP 104 was just way too big in the 8 oz jelly jar. I’ve tried LX 21 .. it seems ok but the HT isn’t strong and I am doing 8% percent of FO

14 hours ago, ErronB said:

What do you think about using CD 8?

1 hour ago, AMtheBeauty said:

What do you think about using CD 8?

It might be alright, but I'd get sample packs of different wick families from somewhere like The Flaming Candle where you can get a few sizes of each all together so you don't end up wasting money on wicks. I'd start off with HTP and CD.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, ErronB said:

I use 6006 and 9% FO, but I heat to 180, add FO around 170-172 and pour between 155-160. I know CS says to add FO at 185, but I'm always afraid the FO will burn off. Also, on one of the candle store sites I was on, they said to heat 6006 to 180, add FO between 160-170 and pour between 155-165 or about ten degrees higher than when you added your FO. It's so confusing b/c everyone does it so differently.

Something to think about, if your FO loses *that much* potency at 180+*F when pouring it will not be great when lit. Melt pools get up in the 200*F+ mark. If the FO burns off that easily you may have nice HT for a short while, then little to nothing as the FO burns itself off in the MP. 

Another thought, Palm wax is heated to >200*F and poured at that same high temp To achieve the gorgeous crystal patterns.  Not once have I ever noted a decrease in HT in my palm candles or any that I buy from palm makers. 

HT has more to do with the wax and wick combo (and of course the container size, style, material) than the temp at which a quality candle FO is added. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Something to think about, if your FO loses *that much* potency at 180+*F when pouring it will not be great when lit. Melt pools get up in the 200*F+ mark. If the FO burns off that easily you may have nice HT for a short while, then little to nothing as the FO burns itself off in the MP. 

Another thought, Palm wax is heated to >200*F and poured at that same high temp To achieve the gorgeous crystal patterns.  Not once have I ever noted a decrease in HT in my palm candles or any that I buy from palm makers. 

HT has more to do with the wax and wick combo (and of course the container size, style, material) than the temp at which a quality candle FO is added. 

This is something that I find really annoying, if I add FO to soy at 185 like manufacturers recommendation then I get no HT, but if I add at 160 it's great even the very next day with 95% of the fragrances I use. 6006.... I can't add anything lower than 185 (unless it's a FO which binds easily at low temps) otherwise I get the same problem, no HT. The joys of learning waxes....

On 6/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, TallTayl said:

Ok so what temp do you recommend adding it?

On 6/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, AMtheBeauty said:

I use 6006 wax and the medium sized jars from CS. I am having issues choosing the right wick to get a good HOT throw. Can someone please let me know which works best for this jar and also the type of FO load is recommended. Thanks 

6B0CB7BE-0981-467B-85E9-B274365EE9B4.png

I use CD 4 on this jar and I use this same jar from CS.  With heavier fall scents, I sometimes have to wick up to a CD 6 after testing.