I've been gone from this since last August. I worked hard enough to keep stock on-hand for my best customer. It was a long line of unfortunate and costly incidents I had to handle. I'm back into it now, and I realize I've forgotten a few things. I'm embarrassed to say that I have about fifteen different waxes. I haven't even tried most of them. Here is my first question: Is there any critically, significant difference between IGI 4627 Comfort Blend and IGI 4630 Harmony Blend? As I read the product fact sheet, I can't see much difference. I find both of them to work well for me. I'm trying to decide what waxes to eliminate, and move forward with as few as possible.  

I've used both quite a bit, and while 4627 has a better HT it didn't seem as clean burning as 4630 in my opinion. I ditched all my IGI waxes to use CBL stuff now, I'm much happier with the performance.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Do you feel like it differs from 6006 enough for me to give it a shot?

Depends how fussy you are with waxes. It still has the awkward melt point of about 130 but it doesn't burn as hot and dirty. And doesn't really need a cure with most fragrances that I've tested.

6 hours ago, ErronB said:

Depends how fussy you are with waxes. It still has the awkward melt point of about 130 but it doesn't burn as hot and dirty. And doesn't really need a cure with most fragrances that I've tested.

Awesome thanks for the feedback! Since it’s higher soy content, should I expect to be using larger wicks than I currently do with 6006? Hoping so

Edited by dustinryan2010

On 6/14/2020 at 8:36 PM, dustinryan2010 said:

Awesome thanks for the feedback! Since it’s higher soy content, should I expect to be using larger wicks than I currently do with 6006? Hoping so

Depends, I've still not managed to get anything to self-trim in it properly, but I like using wooden wicks in it for now while I try figure that part out. Wooden wicks give a good fast melt pool so the high melt point is no problem which is nice.

Edited by ErronB

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

Depends, I've still not managed to get anything to self-trim in it properly, but I like using wooden wicks in it for now while I try figure that part out. Wooden wicks give a good fast melt pool so the high melt point is no problem which is nice.

I’m trying to achieve the whole self trimming thing too. I’m also beginning to feel like it’s impossible! I ordered some CBL130 and CDN’s. I’ve seen some people have luck with them. Guess we’ll see. 

2 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I’m trying to achieve the whole self trimming thing too. I’m also beginning to feel like it’s impossible! I ordered some CBL130 and CDN’s. I’ve seen some people have luck with them. Guess we’ll see. 

I've never managed to do it properly or consistently with any straight wax apart from soy unless I've spent time adding soy to a blend like adding 464 to 6006, but then you've got the issue of losing more HT. I tried LX wicks for the 500th time and they just don't self trim for me in any wax in tins lol.

Edited by ErronB

11 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I've never managed to do it properly or consistently with any straight wax apart from soy unless I've spent time adding soy to a blend like adding 464 to 6006, but then you've got the issue of losing more HT. I tried LX wicks for the 500th time and they just don't self trim for me in any wax in tins lol.

How do these big brand name companies achieve this with mainly paraffin based blends? I want the damn secret! 😂

Edited by dustinryan2010

1 minute ago, dustinryan2010 said:

How do these big brand name companies achieve this with mainly paraffin based blends? I want the damn secret! 😂

I'm no expert, but from what I see in store candles here, the wicks are always some kind of paper core that I've never seen before. @TallTayl might be able to shed more light on it, maybe?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I experimented with so many wax combinations, it's not funny.  Drove myself even battier than I already am, lol

I gave up on 4630 and 4627; I just wasn't impressed with them, either on their own or combined with other waxes - and I believe I probably tried every single combination! 😂

I now mix CBL129 with 6006.  I also use Joywax with very good results.  Frankly, I was surprised with the Joywax; really thought I would have a bad experience with it.... not at all.  In my experience Joywax works best with HTP wicks. 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:17 PM, Ravens said:

I experimented with so many wax combinations, it's not funny.  Drove myself even battier than I already am, lol

I gave up on 4630 and 4627; I just wasn't impressed with them, either on their own or combined with other waxes - and I believe I probably tried every single combination! 😂

I now mix CBL129 with 6006.  I also use Joywax with very good results.  Frankly, I was surprised with the Joywax; really thought I would have a bad experience with it.... not at all.  In my experience Joywax works best with HTP wicks. 

That's an interesting mix, 129 and 6006. Are you able to get a good clean burn in anything around 3" diameter? I had to give up with those waxes because of the high melt point.

23 hours ago, ErronB said:

That's an interesting mix, 129 and 6006. Are you able to get a good clean burn in anything around 3" diameter? I had to give up with those waxes because of the high melt point.

Yes, with the right wicks it's been no problem.  However, my jars are a little over 3" diameter. I should also add that I always need to fix the tops of the candles after they're done cooling, to fix the dip that CBL129 causes.  Well worth the few extra minutes, though.

3 hours ago, Ravens said:

Yes, with the right wicks it's been no problem.  However, my jars are a little over 3" diameter. I should also add that I always need to fix the tops of the candles after they're done cooling, to fix the dip that CBL129 causes.  Well worth the few extra minutes, though.

Yeah, 129 does some serious dipping in containers, the throw is worth it though. I think I'll give that mix a go later, I'm assuming you're using HTP / CD? From my memory I remember you mention those series in several wax threads I've read over time.