Scent becoming more faint the higher the load

My most recent candles and melts I’ve been using a higher fragrance oil  percentage however the scent is either faint or nonexistent. Soy 464 Can have up to 10% fragrance load I’ve been putting in 9% last few batches instead of 6%. And my wax melts is specifically for melts and tarts soy 494 and that is up to 12% fragrance oil. I was previously using 8.4% and now after they cool there’s no cold sent throw or barely if any I’m putting in the fragrance  at 185 stir lightly couple minutes  and pouring around 140 for candles and 160 for melts as instructed. These aren’t light fragrances either  High maintenance, ocean, Amber and driftwood. Is it possible it could be the pouring picture I’m using Do we need to switch those out every so often I’ve only been using it since April I always wipe it out and clean with alcohol I don’t know what it could be. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hometown Handmades said:

My most recent candles and melts I’ve been using a higher fragrance oil  percentage however the scent is either faint or nonexistent. Soy 464 Can have up to 10% fragrance load I’ve been putting in 9% last few batches instead of 6%. And my wax melts is specifically for melts and tarts soy 494 and that is up to 12% fragrance oil. I was previously using 8.4% and now after they cool there’s no cold sent throw or barely if any I’m putting in the fragrance  at 185 stir lightly couple minutes  and pouring around 140 for candles and 160 for melts as instructed. These aren’t light fragrances either  High maintenance, ocean, Amber and driftwood. Is it possible it could be the pouring picture I’m using Do we need to switch those out every so often I’ve only been using it since April I always wipe it out and clean with alcohol I don’t know what it could be. 

I experience the no cold throw after pouring "problem" constantly. It happens with some of my strongest, and bestselling fragrances. While I'm cooking up a batch, the aroma can be strong enough to make my eyes water. I pour it, come back later after it's cooled, and there's no scent. After the candles have cured for two weeks, I open the lids and the fragrance comes pouring out. Don't buy another pour pot. That's not what's causing it. As to your fragrance load question, I also tend to push the limit. If the wax data says I can put in 10% fragrance, that's what I'm going to do. If you feel that increasing the load has caused this to happen, go back to what was working and use that amount of fragrance. More is not always better. If two aspirin makes my headache go away, will taking six aspirin be even better?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I experience the no cold throw after pouring "problem" constantly. It happens with some of my strongest, and bestselling fragrances. While I'm cooking up a batch, the aroma can be strong enough to make my eyes water. I pour it, come back later after it's cooled, and there's no scent. After the candles have cured for two weeks, I open the lids and the fragrance comes pouring out. Don't buy another pour pot. That's not what's causing it. As to your fragrance load question, I also tend to push the limit. If the wax data says I can put in 10% fragrance, that's what I'm going to do. If you feel that increasing the load has caused this to happen, go back to what was working and use that amount of fragrance. More is not always better. If two aspirin makes my headache go away, will taking six aspirin be even better?

Great analogy. I just want to have the best throw for my customers. and have highly scented candles. Also, I my house is open concept, living, dining, and kitcehn all one huge space, so I'd like it for myself as well. the 6% dont seem to be cutting it for me in that regard.

As soon as I read 464 I already knew where this was going lol. My experience with it was probably the most depressing and most time wasted I've ever had with candles. 

All I can say is, from playing with numerous different batches it was completely random which temp it wanted the fragrance added. Then to add more complexity to the whole thing, some fragrances don't bind unless they're added hot. I absolutely believe in adding the fragrance at the manufacturers recommended temps of around 185, but with soy it just wouldn't work out for me, I think with a couple batches around 160 seemed to do pretty good. Soon as I started using other waxes I never had any problems, and with soy you're never going to get a banging hot throw unless the fragrance oil is ridiculously potent. Almost any other type of wax leaves it for dead in a ditch. Plus, wicks don't burn nice and clean with high fragrance loads.

Edited by ErronB
  • Like 2