All-natural Fragrance Oils

jancita

Has anyone had experience using "all-natural fragrance oils?" So far I have found these from Wholesalesuppliesplus.com, Wooden Wick Company, and Naturesflavors.com. They say they are made from essential oils and all natural isolates. If you have experience with these, my questions are: How do they perform? Does the "all-natural" label convince folks to pay a higher price, as these are all very expensive? And are they really safer than phthalate-free fragrance oils in general? By the way, I would be using these in Coconut Wax.

Any experience you could share would be much appreciated!

Edited by jancita

Most of those oils are not robust enough for candles. If you search candles made with essential oils you will see the fragrances are limited.

Natural are either too light, or can burn weird smelling that why you will see limited selection.

You will have to test.

Most candle buyers aren't eco-friendly or environment protection people.  There might be few who acts like one, but real ones will not buy a candle at all.  If you look at famous name brand high end candles, then none of them is claiming anything about being "All Natural".  Astier de Villate, Carriere Frefres, Cire Trudon, diptyque, Gucci, Jo Malone, Joya, Lladro, L'Objet, Malin & Goetz, Mottahedeh, Rigaud, etc. 

In my opinion, being natural is all about playing with carefully selected words. 

"100% NATURAL FRAGRANCE OILS"

Fragrance oils are made with synthetic(chemical) ingredients.  Even these synthetic chemicals need to be come from somewhere on earth.  So in a way, these chemical components can be claimed as coming from all natural sources.  They don't have to mention anything about how it is created or what they are, because it is protected by "trade secret protection" in our industry.

*Even essential oils, the ones made by using chemical distillation method isn't eco-friendly at all.

"Other suppliers/manufacturers are diluting their oils with cheaper carrier oil."

When we see one supplier claiming above, we assume that this supplier does not dilute their oils and it's oils are more concentrated.  But, what he is really saying is that he is using higher quality carrier oil than others.  After all, all EO or FO needs to be diluted one way or other to be used in any product.  

Yes!  I saw many candle makers, who are claiming to use 100% EOs in their candle.  I even saw one that is claiming to use pure Rose EO.  If my memory is correct, I believe pure Rose EO would cost about $20,000 per pound.  

There are handful of choices of economically possible cheap(about $80/lb) EOs that can be used in candle.  But, you will be very limited on choice of scents which would be more important than being eco-friendly.  

I don't know!  Being all natural in candle making is not easy thing to achieve.

• Like 2

I'm of the mind that the use of the word Natural means nothing anymore.  I don't make candles but make soap and other B&B. I see people touting all natural soap all the time and I just shake my head.  It's just a selling tactic.  People play with works like saponified oils of..........which 1 isn't proper labeling and two is just avoiding stating they use lye.  However, no lye, no soap.  I could rant on but I won't.   Essential oils are sometimes extracted with chemicals, so are they still natural?   Right up there with those who make medical claims. 

• Like 1

I have learned from reading and my own experience that pure essential oils not viable in candles.  According to several sources, "all natural" fragrance oils should mean isolates that are distilled in the much the same way as essential oils, however the a single scent molecule is isolated and added in great concentration to other naturally isolated molecules. I ordered a sample kit of these from The Wooden Wick Company along with a sample kit of some of their regular scents. I noticed several things about the "all natural" scents:

1. They are weaker OOB than the regular scent oils from them
  2. They are weaker in wax than the regular scents
  3. At least in the sample kits I ordered, there is much less variety between the all natural scents. Several of them smell very similar
  4. They are extremely expensive, even by WWCo standards

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and expertise with me. I am thinking the all natural scents are not worth the extra cost, because as Busybee says, it probably won't matter much to my buyers. Also, the fact that as Shari said, the term "all-natural" gets thrown around and abused to much, it's pretty meaningless anyway.

I do have to say that the regular WWCo scents I received in the kit are remarkably good. They are complex, unique, and seem very high end, kind of like a subtle perfume. I do believe their FO are overpriced, but I'm not sure where else to get similar scents.

If you look on ww website they do explain what natural is. Essential oils are considered natural. I’ve seen in the candle business that some suppliers are mixing fragrance oils with natural oils, aka, essential oils. Some try to pass these off as natural which we all know is misleading.

Ww does have all natural oils and some combos of both e.o and synthetic oils. I’ve had good luck with the all essential oils in my wax from ww. I’m not entirely sure essential oils were meant to burn. Maybe there are some studies out there regarding this. They are expensive but essential oils are just that. I feel they are appropriately priced when you consider pure Bulgarian rose e.o. Is 100s of dollars for a very small amount. 

I do like what I’ve tried from them so far. Definitely not mainstream type scents.

Yes, CandleRush. WW does have good  info about all natural scents. They have a good video on their YouTube video that explains the differences between EO, All-Natural FO, and regular FO. So you've been able to get a good hot throw from EOs? The combo's I've tested so far have not had good hot throw. 

There are candlemakers who use natural fragrances Slow North, you could buy a candle and see how strong it is.

Also just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s any better for your health, you are burning molecules, and they can be irritants such clove oil.

Black pepper essential oil, and poison ivy are natural. Doesn’t mean they are good for you.

Natural candle purists go for yellow beeswax candles without fragrance.

Candle lovers go for fragrance and longevity.