HGCowner

Hi everyone! I recently began experimenting in the candle making business and I am having issues with a new wax that I just got. I started out with soy 464 but for some reason I could not get a decent outcome. I bought coconut wax and would mix both waxes 50/50 and they looked nice when they were done. I burned a few right away with wooden wicks and it burned well. I am curing a few hoping it will improve the hot throw (i think, let's see). 

I have been trying a few different things and I recently purchased Cargill's NatureWax S-113 Soy and Cargill's NatureWax Coconut 1. The coconut wax had a consistency of coconut oil in a solid state. I didn't think much of it and proceeded to do what I usually do by doing 50/50. End result, the candle never hardened. I made it about 12 hours ago and it is just slushy. 

Any ideas on what this could be or advice on what I can try? Thank you all in advance. 

11 hours ago, HGCowner said:

Thank you, TallTayl! 
Do you know anything about Coconut 2 on that site as well? 

Coconut 2, from the tech documents is coconut 1 (partially hydrogenated coconut oil) with 2% so additive.  From the looks and feel and description it is 2% of cargill’s soy Monoglyceride product. The only place I can find that product retail is as Universal Soy Additive from the candle makers store.

2% soy additive does not magically transform coconut oil into a stand alone wax. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 8:02 AM, TallTayl said:

Coconut 1 is just coconut oil 

https://www.cargill.com/doc/1432078321450/naturewax-coconut-1-tds-pdf.pdf

464 can only hold up to 10% or so of additional oil, including fragrance. 

Treat coconut 1 as an additive not a wax.

What percentage would you start adding it to 464 to help with tops & HT?   I've got a 50# box to try to incorporate. 

2 hours ago, SassyP said:

What percentage would you start adding it to 464 to help with tops & HT?   I've got a 50# box to try to incorporate. 

I would try a set of tests using 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% to compare my particular wax and FO combo in one jar size. 

when focusing on tops, don’t neglect what is under the surface.  Look for cavities and pooling.

Note for anyone who is reading... coconut oil is not a magic bullet to produce HT. All coconut oil does is change the melt point and melt behavior of what it is blended into. It can create as many problems as it is supposed to solve.  you can achieve the same or better results using other additives, including petrolatum, mineral oil,  paraffin, etc. with fewer issues.

Balance the coconut oil % with fragrance % to not overload the capacity of your wax.  Soy wax can only hold so much before pooling and seeping happen.  Coco92 has been hydrogenated to raise the melt point, but it is an oil, so treat it as if it is a liquid oil.  The different fractions of fatty acids in the coconut melt at different temps.  Depending on how it blends with your wax, some of the lower melt point fractions can remain liquid after the candle is completely cool.  I have had incredible seepage of coconut oil 92 as the only additive (no FO). 

Observe your candles over time, and definitely dig into some to see what is happening under the hood. 

If you blend those 50 50 you will have a liquid candle in spring and summer.

Any blend you test you have to see how they hold up in warm weather.

That coconut is not designed to hold fragrance oils, it’s just an additive.

You need to test and see how candles burn and hold up in winter and summer.

If you want really perfect tops you use paraffin and get hot throw.