Zinc wicks

I use (and love) zinc wicks and they are notorious for "shrooming" even under the best conditions and especially with heavy fragrance oil (loads). There have been a few times over the last 16 years of candlemaking that the "shrooms" were pretty much non existing but I still trim to remove the burnt part. It's second nature to me. 

Edited by Lizzy
  • Like 1

I can get zero mushrooming with zincs with multi-wick containers, but it's harder with single wicked containers.  Sometimes they will be perfect, but more often than not there will be a bit of mushrooming.  Personally, I don't mind a bit of mushrooming if the wick will just break off at the appropriate spot when you touch it.  This can be achieved pretty regularly.  But if it's a big honking mushroom that holds tight and actually has to be cut off, I consider that a failure.  IME, they work better in paraffin than parasoy, and if you've got that gloppy, sticky 6006, pretty much everything mushrooms in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

I can get zero mushrooming with zincs with multi-wick containers, but it's harder with single wicked containers.  Sometimes they will be perfect, but more often than not there will be a bit of mushrooming.  Personally, I don't mind a bit of mushrooming if the wick will just break off at the appropriate spot when you touch it.  This can be achieved pretty regularly.  But if it's a big honking mushroom that holds tight and actually has to be cut off, I consider that a failure.  IME, they work better in paraffin than parasoy, and if you've got that gloppy, sticky 6006, pretty much everything mushrooms in it.

I’m so eager for my damn 4630 candles to cure so I can start messing with them. I hate 6006 and I’ve got 50 pounds unopened 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I’m so eager for my damn 4630 candles to cure so I can start messing with them. I hate 6006 and I’ve got 50 pounds unopened 🤦🏻‍♂️

I can tell you exactly how to use that 6006.  LX18 wicks (give or take a size depending on the FO) and 16 oz square mason jars.  Works like a charm.  I had a hell of a time wicking it in status jars and tumblers, but the masons and LX wicks made some pretty good candles.

• Like 1

I thought I was a cotton wicks kinda girl but I love my zinc wicks! I use the "low smoke" wicks from Candlemakers Store. I can test/power burn and never have to trim because the mushrooms will fall off...unlike cotton wicks the zinc wicks don't curl so the wick can get long but even then I don't trim and it'll burn fine.

Edited by Testing123

7 hours ago, ErronB said:

I don't understand how a zinc wick can burn untrimmed from top to bottom because it has a solid core.

Yeah that’s why I had to ask, I don’t remember my zincs self trimming even the slightest bit. Seems like a lot of people use them. I guess they’re just betting and hoping customers will trim 

10 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Yeah that’s why I had to ask, I don’t remember my zincs self trimming even the slightest bit. Seems like a lot of people use them. I guess they’re just betting and hoping customers will trim 

They are good for certain circumstances, I’ve known several people to double wick them in apothecary jars for years without problems. I just can’t deal with the whole trimmed thing I have to use self trimming wicks.

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

They are good for certain circumstances, I’ve known several people to double wick them in apothecary jars for years without problems. I just can’t deal with the whole trimmed thing I have to use self trimming wicks.

What wicks do you find self trim the best? I’m using 6006 and 4630. HTP’s seem to be the best but really gotta offset the wick cause of the curl. LX’s did not self trim for me at all it seems

5 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

What wicks do you find self trim the best? I’m using 6006 and 4630. HTP’s seem to be the best but really gotta offset the wick cause of the curl. LX’s did not self trim for me at all it seems

HTP for me too, I also have the same experience as you with LX they didn't self trim for me at all and never have, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I like the HT from CD wicks but unless you're using a wax like parasoy with a good amount of soy then even the smallest ones are still too big it seems.

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2020 at 10:57 AM, bfroberts said:

I know this is an old thread but I've been trying to make candle with paraffin and zincs. I have some 16 oz square mason jars and some 16 oz salsa jars which are a little bigger around. Would you double wick the salsa jars or just one, either a 51 or 60? Just trying to get a starting point. I see that LS sells their candle kits with 51 zincs for 8 oz jelly jars and both of my jars are larger than those.

34 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I know this is an old thread but I've been trying to make candle with paraffin and zincs. I have some 16 oz square mason jars and some 16 oz salsa jars which are a little bigger around. Would you double wick the salsa jars or just one, either a 51 or 60? Just trying to get a starting point. I see that LS sells their candle kits with 51 zincs for 8 oz jelly jars and both of my jars are larger than those.

What paraffin are you using?

19 hours ago, bfroberts said:

What paraffin are you using?

I've gone back and forth with 4786 and 133 tart wax from Rustic which can also be used in containers. I wanted a harder wax because it's so hot here that I was afraid 4630 wouldn't hold up if I had to ship something or if I decided to do some craft shows outside. It can be warm here even in December sometimes.

5 hours ago, Belinda said:

I've gone back and forth with 4786 and 133 tart wax from Rustic which can also be used in containers. I wanted a harder wax because it's so hot here that I was afraid 4630 wouldn't hold up if I had to ship something or if I decided to do some craft shows outside. It can be warm here even in December sometimes.

I haven’t used either of those in ages and I don’t have any notes for them, so I’m gonna wing it.  Lol

The harder paraffins usually need a significantly smaller wick than the soft paraffins like 4630/4627. I’d start testing the masons with something in the 44 range, 44-24 probably. You shouldn’t have any problems single wicking the salsa. I’d probably test 51z initially. It’ll probably look like a small melt pool at the top but that’ll change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Belinda said:

I have a feeling that the salsa jar may require the 60/44/18, but I could be wrong about that since I've mostly used both sizes in sundae or dessert type candles in the past, not in a container, except in combo with candle gel for preserve candles.  From that experience, anything around 3" got the 60.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I have a feeling that the salsa jar may require the 60/44/18, but I could be wrong about that since I've mostly used both sizes in sundae or dessert type candles in the past, not in a container, except in combo with candle gel for preserve candles.  From that experience, anything around 3" got the 60.

Even with a harder wax? I've been using the 51's and even the 60's but haven't done real extensive testing with either one. Just making sure I was on the right track. Thank you!

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

I haven’t used either of those in ages and I don’t have any notes for them, so I’m gonna wing it.  Lol

The harder paraffins usually need a significantly smaller wick than the soft paraffins like 4630/4627. I’d start testing the masons with something in the 44 range, 44-24 probably. You shouldn’t have any problems single wicking the salsa. I’d probably test 51z initially. It’ll probably look like a small melt pool at the top but that’ll change.

I think the small melt pool was making me think I needed to go larger but maybe not. It seemed there was wax hanging up on the sides so I got impatient. Do you think it would eventually catch up? I need to do more testing but needed a starting point. Thank you!

I use (and love) Zincs and for a Jelly Jar I mostly use a 44-32-18Z (sometimes one size lower 44-28-18Z depending on the FO)
Square Masons and Salsa Jars I use a 51-32-18 
The only time I ever needed to use a 60-32-18 was in a Wide Mouth Mason Jar.

They usually catch up the hang up when burning down in the jars :) Love Zincs! Did I mention that? LOVE THEM. LOL

11 hours ago, Belinda said:

I think the small melt pool was making me think I needed to go larger but maybe not. It seemed there was wax hanging up on the sides so I got impatient. Do you think it would eventually catch up? I need to do more testing but needed a starting point. Thank you!

I use mottling wax so IDK really how well this translates to your waxes. I'd guess the differences would probably be within a size, if any.  

I like for mine (salsa and masons) to keep a little hangup until at least the half way point of the jar, or lower.  That seems to be the general sweet spot for a good, clean burn in any container that has shoulders.  Tumblers can usually go a size bigger because they don't hold in as much heat. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I use mottling wax so IDK really how well this translates to your waxes. I'd guess the differences would probably be within a size, if any.  

I like for mine (salsa and masons) to keep a little hangup until at least the half way point of the jar, or lower.  That seems to be the general sweet spot for a good, clean burn in any container that has shoulders.  Tumblers can usually go a size bigger because they don't hold in as much heat. 

Thank you for your help!

Do you generally use the same size wick for salsa as you do mason jars?

10 hours ago, Belinda said:

Thank you for your help!

Do you generally use the same size wick for salsa as you do mason jars?

I usually go one size up for the salsa. 

Here's a pic of a 51z in the 16oz Flint jar from Aztec (very similar to salsa, just a little bit wider) after a long burn.  The wick will need trimming but a very clean burn. I'm also gonna test 44-36 before I decide on these.

2DB2EC4C-0C2E-4A67-93EF-D2F2E81E14BE.thumb.jpeg.e016973a6a0d752cbcfe58a2789b108c.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Here's a pic of a 51z in the 16oz Flint jar from Aztec (very similar to salsa, just a little bit wider) after a long burn.  The wick will need trimming but a very clean burn. I'm also gonna test 44-36 before I decide on these.

2DB2EC4C-0C2E-4A67-93EF-D2F2E81E14BE.thumb.jpeg.e016973a6a0d752cbcfe58a2789b108c.jpeg

This makes me feel much better about the way mine are burning! Thank you so much!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:34 AM, bfroberts said:

Is that Mottle Container Wax? If so what wax is it? TIA.

• 2 weeks later...