Etsy VS Ebay

Etsy VS Ebay

I want to see what the difference is in Cost for Esty Vs Ebay.

Just looking at Etsy  a little confusing.

I have been selling on Ebay for some time and my invoices keep going up,

any opinions or input would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, karinz40 said:

So just about the same as Ebay at 10% on a sale and if shipping 10%

So what is the Etsy advantage I wonder. It dioe look more Posh

I believe (can easily be wrong) Etsy is generally more boutique feeling portal than eBay. I shop etsy for gifts things more so than for supplies. I expect to pay higher prices on etsy generally. On Etsy I also expect cute packaging and a personal touch, like it is a special little gift. Of course there are plenty of resellers of things that do not exemplify that AT ALL. Just my personal experience and opinion. 

when I’m shopping Supplies and common commodity items, eBay is where I look for bargain pricing. I don’t expect cute packaging or posh of any kind. Quick and dirty shopping and shipping.

amazon falls in the middle somewhere. 

I have sold melts and mic on ebay for years and what you said makes sense.

I've never purchased from tht site but I'm ure the packaging is very nice from the seller but tht is the reason for the higher cost too.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, karinz40 said:

So just about the same as Ebay at 10% on a sale and if shipping 10%

So what is the Etsy advantage I wonder. It dioe look more Posh

What/How do you drive sales to your ebay listing?

I tried selling my candles on Ebay and basically did not sell anything there.  

People go to Etsy for Hand Made items, and unique gifts.  (Not saying that it 100% what etsy is)  

• Thanks 1

I have a store costing $4.99 a month which is very cheap in my opinion.  My listing are free, I believe I have either 200 or 250 listings a month.  I pay my final value fee of 10% and if I charge for ship it is also 10% so i do free ship and just up the price .  What I do that most people there I know do not do is END a a few listing every couple weeks and then right away re-list so they go up on the first page and stay for a few hours and if they are selling in that time they will stay there for longer.  Just away to get them seen more often than just waiting for people to click on my store catagories.  I keep in contact with former and current buyers and send emails about new scents I have just listed. It seems to work.  i get orders everyday,  I'll never get rich but it makes my house payment every month. 

I know several Ebay sellers that also sell on Etsy and say they do well. I have been looking at it but will not list anything  until I know more how to set it up, payments and how it really works.