Allergens listings on labels

Candybee

Do I need to list lanolin as a 'wool' allergen on my label? It is in the ingredients listing but do I also need to list it seperately and specifically as an allergen? And if so, where on the label do I put it? This will be for both my shaving soaps and bath oil.

I'm not sure that I'll be of much help, but I did try to do a little reading on the link below.  If you can't find a perfect answer, I would list the ingredients as you normally would, but place a line somewhere on the label that says "Contains Lanolin" ... that way, if someone knows they have an issue, they will view it as a warning.  For those without any issues, well, I guess, they may view it as a benefit.   

Lanolin Notes

• Like 1

I've never added allergen alerts on my label.  I label every ingredient in my product.  If someone has an allergy the will be diligent at reading labels.  I've had several customers not purchase soap because they are allergic to something in the soap like shea butter (latex allergen). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shari said:

I've never added allergen alerts on my label.  I label every ingredient in my product.  If someone has an allergy the will be diligent at reading labels.  I've had several customers not purchase soap because they are allergic to something in the soap like shea butter (latex allergen). 

That has been my experience also.  At in person events people would not even enter my shop without ensuring it was “safe”. One notable memory was of a woman with a lavender allergy... I cannot ensure I have not touched anything with lavender, let alone cleared it from every single piece of equipment, mold, packaging, etc. I would rather miss out on a sale than cause harm to someone. 

• Like 2

I have always listed all my ingredients on my labels with all my products. I had not really ever thought about listing any "allergens" on my labels until I have been seeing more and more labels lately listing allergens.  I think listing an allergen is an extra bit of caution for my customers so don't mind doing it. But I don't know if it is legally required, and if so, how is it listed exactly.

I don't have Marie's book so can't reference it. It's on my ever growing list of must haves. Sigh...

I just did some research on FDA's Cosmetic Labeling Guide and found nothing re allergens on cosmetic labeling. However, warning labels are required but you can read that for yourself as that is a different question from what I was looking for. But the guide is handy to bookmark when you have questions about labeling. FDA's Cosmetic Labeling Guide

Edited by Candybee

I think one of the things about "allergens" is that anything can potentially be one.  Some people can probably have a reaction to coconut oil (maybe ...?) if they're allergic to coconut, so I don't know that there is any way to actually point these things out.  The same goes for essential oils, let's say petitgrain, for instance, which can cause skin reaction in sunlight, it's not as though you can really put every warning on the labels.  For some of these issues, a little enclosure note with some information can probably be a good thing to include, but that's really just going the extra mile to inform your customers, not something that is required from what I've gathered.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After some thought I realize that the allergen listings I have been seeing are on food products. I just see a lot of that because I work at a farmer's market. Anyway, I took out the wool allergen listing on my label. Lanolin is listed in my ingredients so if someone has an allergy to wool they will see it.

• Like 1