Wax Melts hot throw not lasting long

jsull918

6 hours ago, Laura C said:

I feel the same way @Ravens and @Belinda. Some days I think, wonder what my friends on Craft Server are up to or discussing today? I need to "grab a cup of coffee" and go visit them a while.  When I talk to my husband or friends about candle making seems like I'm always bringing up someone on here regarding something they shared or something they taught me. 😊 🕯️

Isn't it great to have a place like this where you can feel wanted, engage in interesting and intelligent conversations and learn something new or even some neat tips, tricks & ideas? So hey @TallTayl, thanks again for providing us all with a great place to gather. That reminds me, I need to make sure I updated my automatic donations for here for 2021.

I agree! I love "meeting" new people on here and chatting about our likes and dislikes and different experiences with our wax and sometimes life in general! 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 8:55 AM, Laila said:

I have been testing with this wax as well. Are you making melts or candles? I made some wax melts with 10% FO and after 1 week cure very week throw. Any tips or suggestions you have?

I have since moved on. Wasn't worth it for me. Looks great poured but didn't meet my expectations. My advice or suggestion...try the 494. ;) :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I have since moved on. Wasn't worth it for me. Looks great poured but didn't meet my expectations. My advice or suggestion...try the 494. ;) :) 

Hate to hear that but best of luck to you for your future endeavors. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, lovelyscents said:

I have this same issue with about every wax you can think of.  I have learned over years that it is the oil and warmer in question for longevity, give or take a couple hours difference here and there.  For example, one wax would throw the same oil in the same warmer about 12-13 hours whereas another wax would throw that oil in the same warmer for about 15.  I educate all of my coworkers and friends who test for me that warmers have a huge effect on how long they last.  I tell them the hotter the warmer, the stronger the throw but it will burn off faster and the lower wattage the warmer, the longer they last but lighter throw.  I want products to be the best they can be, but sometimes it can get annoying when someone thinks a 1 ounce tart is supposed to last a week or more, especially when they pay no more than a couple of bucks per ounce.  If they lasted that long, we certainly would not get return orders as often and would have to raise prices for sure.  You are using more than 1 oz per pound already, so anymore than that is not cost effective for mostly the same outcome.  I think you are doing everything correctly on your end for results that can vary so much depending on the person.  I even tested the theory from customers at a local festival in the same oil and wax.  When I followed up with them....one person said the tart filled their whole 2 story home and lingered for days whereas another person with the same oil and blend said it barely traveled far from the warmer and was not as strong as they like.  We cannot please everyone and I say if you are confident you have tested enough and are satisfied with your product, keep it moving.

Wow I didn't know about that and it is good to know. When I buy the wax melt from other. I love the cold throw and I still have it after few years because i kept it in the cool dark place. I rarely uses it because I forgot about it but the scent is still there. Other time, I would leave it in my plugin because let face it my mosquito happen to show alot of love. So I tend to it leave it on from night til morning. I don't smell it much unless I walk passed. I know it bad to leave it on, this is the night light kind of warmer. It isn't strong but that is good enough for me. I don't like such a strong scent because I tend to get headache. 

Also, I was wondering if I can borrow your wisdom to add that on the care card information? Because this is super helpful. 

On 8/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Marisa11 said:

@Hometown Handmades I think that's pretty good. I have been playing with my own blend of tart wax and have a few testers. I also have 4 different types of warmers I use so I can see how each melt acts in different burners. I have a 15 watt wall plug in, in my small bathroom, a 25 watt 2N1 warmer from candle warmers that I keep in my dining room/kitchen, a tealight warmer that i move around different parts of the house, and a Gold Canyon warmer that uses plastic pods that I move between my master bedroom and home office, and a 2nd Gold Canyon warmer that I have in my work office.  They each have their pros and cons it probably depends on what your customer base is looking for and what type of warmers they use. I thought I hated the 15 watt wall plug in but 1 little .20oz seashell melt has been lasting a surprising amount of time in there. The scent is a softer scent but I noticed even if the bathroom door is closed I can smell it coming from underneath. I think this weekend ill clean it out and do a power melt and keep some espresso beans handy to clear my nose. The one at my work office is nice because I am down a long hallway and I'm usually by myself so I like hearing the comments people might make.  I can't do too strong FO's though ill give myself a headache. @karinz40 Do you find that using less wax in a warmer gives off a stronger scent than using more wax because it gets hotter? I have read conflicting information and I think that in some warmers like the 2N1 I need to add more wax to get a better throw. its only been a few months and I have found it just depends on the FO (No duh). I have only now just started giving my melts to testers to get their feedback so I can adjust my formula.   

I love the tealight option and plug in because they don't give out such a strong scent (which give me headache too). I read that if you have strong scent, you can cut it in pieces. Not just one cube. This way the scent can be control by the amount we put. I been watching too much YT and read so many articles. 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, Lizzy said:

I've poured some testers and tested after 3 days. I tested 2 scents so far and got mixed results.
For instance...Moon Lake Musk (CS) which to me and my nose is on the lighter side, threw like a champ for 12+ hrs in a large living/dining room area, into the kitchen and down the hallway. It blew me away.
Blueberry Cobbler (CS) which seemed super strong OOB, on the other hand, didn't do so well. I barely got 6 hrs out of it. Then again, Blueberry scents don't do well for me as it is so I wasn't surprised.

So for now I'll say...I don't hate it. LOL
I have several more scents poured and plan on testing them. I believe it's in the FO's not the wax.

It would be a great wax for those looking go go the "natural" route. It's easy to work with too. Sets up nice. I love the creaminess of it. :)

does the temperature of adding the FO into the wax affect the scent? I remember if we add too hot, it will burn off the scent. if we add a bit warmer, it might get better throw? I am not sure if this is right but I remember from Bramble Berry, she explain why we need to be careful with temperature. I can't find the link. YT doesn't seem to work on my google chrome. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 8:59 PM, Vero said:

does the temperature of adding the FO into the wax affect the scent? I remember if we add too hot, it will burn off the scent. if we add a bit warmer, it might get better throw? I am not sure if this is right but I remember from Bramble Berry, she explain why we need to be careful with temperature. I can't find the link. YT doesn't seem to work on my google chrome. 

I know this is an older thread but I saw no one commented on this.  I too thought that was an issue with my tarts, but I tried adding oils at lower temperatures based on their flashpoints...guess what?  TANKED.  They didn't throw hardly at all - if at all - when melting after a cure.  I was part of a convo once where someone laughed about the idea of scents "burning off" if added at higher temps.  I thought it made sense but the truth is you lose scent anyway no matter what temp because it's going to emit scent while it's cooling, but from my own experience adding oil at a cooler temp was a total failure. They smelled fine cold, but melting...nada.  Pumpkin Pecan Waffles was the oil that had the most drastic results, and that's usually quite a thrower as scents go.

Edited by Cynna
Spelling
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cynna said:

I know this is an older thread but I saw no one commented on this.  I too thought that was an issue with my tarts, but I tried adding oils at lower temperatures based on their flashpoints...guess what?  TANKED.  They didn't throw hardly at all - if at all - when melting after a cure.  I was part of a convo once where someone laughed about the idea of scents "burning off" if added at higher temps.  I thought it made sense but the truth is you lose scent anyway no matter what temp because it's going to emit scent while it's cooling, but from my own experience adding oil at a cooler temp was a total failure. They smelled fine cold, but melting...nada.  Pumpkin Pecan Waffles was the oil that had the most drastic results, and that's usually quite a thrower as scents go.

Interesting observation. Candle and melt making are more technical than most people at first. 

many of my waxes need to be heated to at least 200*F - the FO all perform fine.   I Use the same FO in soap, which gets pretty darned hot on top of the lye attacking everything in the pot. A good FO can take the heat. 

for melts, the melter itself plays a big role. Too hot and everything gets thrown into the air quickly. If you can smell the actual wax it is pretty hot! Too cool and the throw potential is not maximized. different molecular weights of wax blends need different energy to throw well.

and … no DEP in most available FO and we can zoom in on the reasons. I miss the ease of old FO with phthalates. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, TallTayl said:

Candle and melt making are more technical than most people at first. 

@TallTayl Hahahaha, it is more technical than most people. it's also more technical than most people think it is.  

I haven't been on this page in years, yours is the only name I recognized.

I'm working on production for my first show in 18 months. My wax was discontinued, sold, re-made, and costs more than $40 a box more than last time I bought it. I was fully stocked for Spring 2020 shows, so I mostly have to melt my melts, add new FO, and repour. Thankfully I have about 25lbs of wax left for anything else I need to make. I go through about 200lbs of wax a year in only 7 shows. The prices of wax are making me seriously consider closing shop after more than 20 years.

I'm looking at new waxes, trying to decide if I'm going to buy and test, or sell everything and quit. 

Looking for advice on pillar wax from seasoned makers. What do you suggest I test?

Edited by Carrie

• 7 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, Ravens said:

Ok, rotten tomatoes might get hurled my way, but in my experience the addition of some good quality paraffin wax makes a BIG difference in the throw. I tried a few all-soy waxes and was not impressed one bit with the HT.  

hth

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 7:59 PM, ErronB said:

That looks exactly like the Soy wax I have bought from Northwood in the past. I'll be honest it made very nice looking melts, but the HT was just so-so. 

I tried this wax- was not a fan