Wax Melts hot throw not lasting long

jsull918

I'd like some advice please. Ive been using the specific soy wax for tarts and melts (494) to make my wax melts. I've been using 0.75 lbs wax with 1 oz bottles of FO. I let it cool for 8 hours, then close the lid. Let it sit a week and then heat in wax warmer. Myself, and people I've let test for me have concluded that they have amazing cold throw, however when heated,n the smell is fantastic and strong., but only last a couple days (off during the day turn on in the evening) for approximately 4-6 hrs at a time per single cube. Then you can't really smell it anymore. Do you have any advice on what I may be doing wrong? As I'd like to start selling these. I'm mixing color at 185, then immediately adding the FO, and pouring at 160 as recommended. Or possibly does  a single cube only last so long with the scent?

• Like 1

I have this same issue with about every wax you can think of.  I have learned over years that it is the oil and warmer in question for longevity, give or take a couple hours difference here and there.  For example, one wax would throw the same oil in the same warmer about 12-13 hours whereas another wax would throw that oil in the same warmer for about 15.  I educate all of my coworkers and friends who test for me that warmers have a huge effect on how long they last.  I tell them the hotter the warmer, the stronger the throw but it will burn off faster and the lower wattage the warmer, the longer they last but lighter throw.  I want products to be the best they can be, but sometimes it can get annoying when someone thinks a 1 ounce tart is supposed to last a week or more, especially when they pay no more than a couple of bucks per ounce.  If they lasted that long, we certainly would not get return orders as often and would have to raise prices for sure.  You are using more than 1 oz per pound already, so anymore than that is not cost effective for mostly the same outcome.  I think you are doing everything correctly on your end for results that can vary so much depending on the person.  I even tested the theory from customers at a local festival in the same oil and wax.  When I followed up with them....one person said the tart filled their whole 2 story home and lingered for days whereas another person with the same oil and blend said it barely traveled far from the warmer and was not as strong as they like.  We cannot please everyone and I say if you are confident you have tested enough and are satisfied with your product, keep it moving.

Edited by lovelyscents
  • Like 5

On 5/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, Hometown Handmades said:

I'd like some advice please. Ive been using the specific soy wax for tarts and melts (494) to make my wax melts. I've been using 0.75 lbs wax with 1 oz bottles of FO. I let it cool for 8 hours, then close the lid. Let it sit a week and then heat in wax warmer. Myself, and people I've let test for me have concluded that they have amazing cold throw, however when heated,n the smell is fantastic and strong., but only last a couple days (off during the day turn on in the evening) for approximately 4-6 hrs at a time per single cube. Then you can't really smell it anymore. Do you have any advice on what I may be doing wrong? As I'd like to start selling these. I'm mixing color at 185, then immediately adding the FO, and pouring at 160 as recommended. Or possibly does  a single cube only last so long with the scent?

I have never used all soy but from everything I've read you will get a stronger hot throw with paraffin or a para/soy mix. Also, it will depend on the fragrance oil used as to how long the scent lasts. It could also be you have candle nose maybe? Other factors will affect the scent too, where the warmer is located etc. What fragrance are you using? How long are you letting them cure? Like Lovely Scents said the warmer is a big factor too. Also if you're just using a single cube from a clamshell and it's lasting that long then that's really not bad at all. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, Hometown Handmades said:

I’d be dancing in the streets if I got more than one day 4-6 or even 8 hours!! I’ve never gotten throw on day two that warranted saving the melted cube pincer I pop it out. And I’ve tried so many different vendors (plus retail including the $$$ retail! Oh actually there is one brand I might get 2-4 hours on day two and they’re the Bridgewater Candles wax melts... and only two scents out of all of theirs. 

I did a double take when I read your post! 

regards,

wild4waxmelts Karen 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, wild4waxmelts said:

I’d be dancing in the streets if I got more than one day 4-6 or even 8 hours!! I’ve never gotten throw on day two that warranted saving the melted cube pincer I pop it out. And I’ve tried so many different vendors (plus retail including the $$$ retail! Oh actually there is one brand I might get 2-4 hours on day two and they’re the Bridgewater Candles wax melts... and only two scents out of all of theirs. 

I did a double take when I read your post! 

regards,

wild4waxmelts Karen 

Maybe you could be a tester for some of us wax melt makers! 

• Thanks 1

i use 494 as well and when I make  melts to sell I firts  test in my dining room ( aprox 12 x 14 size room) on a 25 watt melter.  I make  melts out of brownie bite molds from Michael's.  Each melt is .4 oz.

I burn one melt and depending on the scent, strong or light, it will last 6-8 hours before I need to replace so i believe that is a good long time for one melt.

I do use 1 oz of fo for every 10 oz of wax so that is a lot I know but the customers love my melts and keep coming back for more. That's how I get the money to play with the candle making experiments  and make part of my condo payment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Hometown Handmades I think that's pretty good. I have been playing with my own blend of tart wax and have a few testers. I also have 4 different types of warmers I use so I can see how each melt acts in different burners. I have a 15 watt wall plug in, in my small bathroom, a 25 watt 2N1 warmer from candle warmers that I keep in my dining room/kitchen, a tealight warmer that i move around different parts of the house, and a Gold Canyon warmer that uses plastic pods that I move between my master bedroom and home office, and a 2nd Gold Canyon warmer that I have in my work office.  They each have their pros and cons it probably depends on what your customer base is looking for and what type of warmers they use. I thought I hated the 15 watt wall plug in but 1 little .20oz seashell melt has been lasting a surprising amount of time in there. The scent is a softer scent but I noticed even if the bathroom door is closed I can smell it coming from underneath. I think this weekend ill clean it out and do a power melt and keep some espresso beans handy to clear my nose. The one at my work office is nice because I am down a long hallway and I'm usually by myself so I like hearing the comments people might make.  I can't do too strong FO's though ill give myself a headache. @karinz40 Do you find that using less wax in a warmer gives off a stronger scent than using more wax because it gets hotter? I have read conflicting information and I think that in some warmers like the 2N1 I need to add more wax to get a better throw. its only been a few months and I have found it just depends on the FO (No duh). I have only now just started giving my melts to testers to get their feedback so I can adjust my formula.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I get  a small amount of frost or sots on 494 but who cares... it's part of the adventure.  No i don't thin more wax helps but only I use my .4 ozbrownie bite melt in the warmer and the scent is good .  never had to add more wax just replace with same or different scent.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Lizzy said:

CS has a new Soy Pillar/Votive wax out  that can also be used for tarts/melts...and I'm excited to try it. I just got my sample bag yesterday and getting ready to pour some testers. Has anyone else ordered this?

https://www.candlescience.com/wax/blended-waxes-pillar-soy-wax-bw-921

That looks exactly like the Soy wax I have bought from Northwood in the past. I'll be honest it made very nice looking melts, but the HT was just so-so. 

9 hours ago, ErronB said:

That looks exactly like the Soy wax I have bought from Northwood in the past. I'll be honest it made very nice looking melts, but the HT was just so-so. 

I've poured some testers and tested after 3 days. I tested 2 scents so far and got mixed results.
For instance...Moon Lake Musk (CS) which to me and my nose is on the lighter side, threw like a champ for 12+ hrs in a large living/dining room area, into the kitchen and down the hallway. It blew me away.
Blueberry Cobbler (CS) which seemed super strong OOB, on the other hand, didn't do so well. I barely got 6 hrs out of it. Then again, Blueberry scents don't do well for me as it is so I wasn't surprised.

So for now I'll say...I don't hate it. LOL
I have several more scents poured and plan on testing them. I believe it's in the FO's not the wax.

It would be a great wax for those looking go go the "natural" route. It's easy to work with too. Sets up nice. I love the creaminess of it. :)

Just now, Lizzy said:

I've poured some testers and tested after 3 days. I tested 2 scents so far and got mixed results.
For instance...Moon Lake Musk (CS) which to me and my nose is on the lighter side, threw like a champ for 12+ hrs in a large living/dining room area, into the kitchen and down the hallway. It blew me away.
Blueberry Cobbler (CS) which seemed super strong OOB, on the other hand, didn't do so well. I barely got 6 hrs out of it. Then again, Blueberry scents don't do well for me as it is so I wasn't surprised.

I have several more scents poured and plan on testing them. I believe it's in the FO's not the wax.

It would be a great wax for those looking go go the "natural" route. It's easy to work with too. Sets up nice. I love the creaminess of it. :)

I tested some fruity stuff and cotton candy and the throw was just 'meh', but like you said, it was so easy to use, I poured at like 140 and the tops were literally perfect in clamshells. Maybe I'll give it another go adding the FO lower at around 160 and see how that goes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ravens said:

Oh, I should add that of all the soy waxes, the one that gave me best HT results is the GB415. It had better throw than the C3, 464, PB, etc. and other proprietary soy waxes that you'll find at several suppliers such as The Flaming Candle etc.

I'm starting to think that the less additives in a wax, the better.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, Ravens said:

Ok, rotten tomatoes might get hurled my way, but in my experience the addition of some good quality paraffin wax makes a BIG difference in the throw. I tried a few all-soy waxes and was not impressed one bit with the HT.  

hth

Ravens! It's so good to see you on here again! Don't be a stranger! I miss "seeing" you.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 7:37 PM, Belinda said:

Ravens! It's so good to see you on here again! Don't be a stranger! I miss "seeing" you.

Hey, Belinda.  I'm never too far away.  I sometimes pop in just to read, and "meet" the new faces, missing some of the old ones who have either moved on to other things in life, or who have moved on to a spiritual life 😔 

It always feels so good to be here; it's like visiting with good ol' friends - and you certainly are one, Belinda!  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, Ravens said:

Hey, Belinda.  I'm never too far away.  I sometimes pop in just to read, and "meet" the new faces, missing some of the old ones who have either moved on to other things in life, or who have moved on to a spiritual life 😔 

It always feels so good to be here; it's like visiting with good ol' friends - and you certainly are one, Belinda!  

I feel the same way about you! I'm so happy you're back!

On 10/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, Ravens said:

I feel the same way about you! I'm so happy you're back!

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, Lizzy said:

I have been testing with this wax as well. Are you making melts or candles? I made some wax melts with 10% FO and after 1 week cure very week throw. Any tips or suggestions you have?

On 8/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, wild4waxmelts said:

This is an interesting discussion. Per the previous comment, I wonder if you have a really hot wax melter? Maybe that's why the fragrance in your melts don't last as long? 🤔

On 10/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, Ravens said:

I feel the same way @Ravens and @Belinda. Some days I think, wonder what my friends on Craft Server are up to or discussing today? I need to "grab a cup of coffee" and go visit them a while.  When I talk to my husband or friends about candle making seems like I'm always bringing up someone on here regarding something they shared or something they taught me. 😊 🕯️

Isn't it great to have a place like this where you can feel wanted, engage in interesting and intelligent conversations and learn something new or even some neat tips, tricks & ideas? So hey @TallTayl, thanks again for providing us all with a great place to gather. That reminds me, I need to make sure I updated my automatic donations for here for 2021.

• Like 3