clamshells sinking

TK81

so I've started making clamshells using 4826 tart wax. Once they cool I notice they are all dipping. I've tried pouring at cooler Temps(150-160) and warmer Temps (175-180). I've tried cooling racks and no cooling racks! What should I be doing? Can I just top them office? I'm so confused lol 😆 

Thanks in advance!

TK

On 5/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, TK81 said:

so I've started making clamshells using 4826 tart wax. Once they cool I notice they are all dipping. I've tried pouring at cooler Temps(150-160) and warmer Temps (175-180). I've tried cooling racks and no cooling racks! What should I be doing? Can I just top them office? I'm so confused lol 😆 

Thanks in advance!

TK

Since that's such a hard wax I would mix a container wax with it. I use 4625/6006 at 50/50 for clams and they come out smooth. I have 4826 that I'm using for shapes and it reminds me a lot of 4625 so I think it would do well mixed with a container wax also.

If you want to use that particular wax alone with clams and want the tops to be smooth I think you'd have to do a re pour. I know the times I've used KY para/soy wax or 133 (which are both granulated) I have to pour half and then let them get hard and then top them off to get a smooth top.

Edited by Belinda
  • Like 1

Thank you. I do use 6006 for candles that come out great. I might try that. I did have to do a 2nd pour on my last batch of clamshells. My prob with the 1st batch was that I completely filled them leaving little room to pour a 2nd. 

Belinda is correct about adding some container to it or it may need a repour since you have tried all kinds of pouring/cooling methods with no luck.  Just the nature of harder wax blends that are mostly paraffin.  You may like the look better with them blended anyhow :)

• Like 1