Making aloe vera butter

Candybee

This may sound like a stupid question but how do I make my own shealoe or aloe butter? I want to make one with coconut oil and one with shea butter, or even a shea coconut aloe butter combo.

Which aloe do I use? It will be for a balm so I want to avoid having to use a preservative. So I assume the aloe should be powder? But I would love to use aloe gel? I never made aloe butter so not sure exactly what method and type of aloe to use. 

Does the butter need to be melted first then the aloe whipped in with a mixer or stick blender? Some help please.

56 minutes ago, Barbara AL said:

I do a coconut and Shea 50/50 but never added aloe. If I were to do it, I would add the powder directly to the warm oils not too hot. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer for making all my butters.

Thanks. I tend to use more CO and less shea in a balm since shea has a habit of granulating. But I have other ingredients in my balm to help keep the shea smooth.

I have an organic aloe vera powder but it is a brownish green and turned my balm a tan color. That's why I was wondering if I could sub the aloe gel. I do not want to use a preservative so wondering, can I sub the gel? and if I do what % can I use so I won't need a preservative? Or is the gel only good with a preservative at any %?

I guess I could go with a tannish colored balm but really want one thats cream, white, or even off white. 

I looked into other aloe powders and haven't found a 'white' one yet, or at least not one that is additive or chemical free.... yet.

Or base

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/shea-butter-aloe-lotion.aspx

https://www.wellingtonfragrance.com/Natural-Shea-Aloe-Multi-Base-Lotion-P2969.aspx

wellington ingredients

Shea-Aloe Multi Base Ingredients:

Distilled Water, Aloe Vera, Sunflower Oil, Jojoba Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Stearic Acid, Soya Oil, Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Vegetable Glycerin, Palmatic Acid, Tocopherol, Potassium Sorbate, Shea Butter, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Germall Plus

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barbara AL said:

Thanks. WSP has a white one too that is 200x. I see both Camden-Grey and WSP have additives in them. I may end up using them anyway so its good to know another source. However, I am still trying to go with an aloe that is 100% organic without any additives. I have the organic aloe but its a brownish green and discolors my base. I may have to settle for a white aloe powder with additives if I want a white base. Don't think there is one without additives. Plus the decolorization process would use chemicals so I may be looking for a unicorn. Have to think on it a bit. Honestly, I doubt my customers would complain or say anything if I went with the white. But I would have to list the additional additives on my ingredients list and that is what is holding me back.

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

Or base

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/shea-butter-aloe-lotion.aspx

https://www.wellingtonfragrance.com/Natural-Shea-Aloe-Multi-Base-Lotion-P2969.aspx

wellington ingredients

Shea-Aloe Multi Base Ingredients:

Distilled Water, Aloe Vera, Sunflower Oil, Jojoba Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Stearic Acid, Soya Oil, Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Vegetable Glycerin, Palmatic Acid, Tocopherol, Potassium Sorbate, Shea Butter, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Germall Plus

Thanks Nightlight for the recipe link. May use that for personal use. Since I am trying to go all natural with my balm I will have to use the aloe powder. No problem, have already tried it in my tester batch and it makes my skin feel oh so nice. 

I also checked out buying shealoe butter and coconut aloe butter and although they are nice, they are pricey considering I can save a lot by making my own. Since I will be selling the balm it is imperative that I choose ingredients that don't make the product price skyrocket.

So when I use a water based recipe I will go with the aloe juice or gel. For my balms looks like I should stick with the aloe powder. Thanks for your research. It really helps me with my decision making.

5 hours ago, CandleRush said:

I’d try aloe extract with coconut oil. Shea butter needs to be gradually melted on very low heat to avoid graininess.

I looked at aloe extract and decided against it. The extracts can vary depending on the process its made and may or may not have alcohol in it. But all the extracts I found had water and glycerin while some had traces of alcohol and others without the alcohol were more expensive. With the powder forms I can get more concentrated aloe in my product without all the extra additives I don't want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NightLight said:

Just an idea for you. Aloe Shea parfaits using layers of aloe gel and then cream. Have you seen those?

No... you have a link or a pic? Not sure I know what those are but they sound interesting.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, Candybee said:

I looked at aloe extract and decided against it. The extracts can vary depending on the process its made and may or may not have alcohol in it. But all the extracts I found had water and glycerin while some had traces of alcohol and others without the alcohol were more expensive. With the powder forms I can get more concentrated aloe in my product without all the extra additives I don't want.

I like the powder too I put it directly into my soaping oils before I add my lye.

great in shaving soap too!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

I like the powder too I put it directly into my soaping oils before I add my lye.

great in shaving soap too!

I ordered the aloe 40x powder from Camden-Grey. While I am waiting yesterday I made a tester balm using some LIQUID aloe 10x I got from BB. Since its liquid its water soluble and made clumps in my balm Not good. So now I can't wait for the aloe powder.

I also checked out WSP aloe 100x powder and theirs was just too expensive IMO. However, being 100x means I can save money by using a LOT less so it could actually save me money. Will have to crunch the numbers and see which will save me money.

Not sure if you are going to love powder in balm unless it’s super super finely milled. You will still feel some IMHO. You can make an all natural heavy cream balm using liquid aloe and natural preservatives! You could make your own aloe liquid for cream then proceed with cream formula and naturally preserve.

What is the end result you want with aloe? You might be able to make a balm with qualities of aloe without aloe if that makes any sense.

maybe choosing different waxes, and oils can really affect end balm feel.