Wax melt help

Kaitlin Geibel

1 minute ago, Kaitlin Geibel said:

I might not be stirring long enough. And what’s the melt point mean sorry I’m super new. So when you do it what temp do you let it get up to and what temp do you pour it at?

No need to apologize. We've all been at this point and we all learn something all the time from each other. We're happy to help!

The melt point is the temperature that a wax will melt. Container waxes have a lower melt point than pillar wax.  

I heat my wax to 185, add FO and color and stir for two minutes and then pour into the clams. I usually pour at 155-160 but I'm not sure if that holds true for all soy. I see where TallTayl said to pour cooler with the wax you're using. I know I've seen some people talk about pouring at a slushy stage with soy but I've never used an all soy wax. 

3 minutes ago, Kaitlin Geibel said:

I didn’t even know I was supposed to stir for a certain amount of time I’ve just been stirring till the color blends in 

Most instructions I've seen recommend stirring two minutes before pouring. That's what I do. You have to get the oil to blend in with the wax. 

4 minutes ago, Belinda said:

No need to apologize. We've all been at this point and we all learn something all the time from each other. We're happy to help!

The melt point is the temperature that a wax will melt. Container waxes have a lower melt point than pillar wax.  

I heat my wax to 185, add FO and color and stir for two minutes and then pour into the clams. I usually pour at 155-160 but I'm not sure if that holds true for all soy. I see where TallTayl said to pour cooler with the wax you're using. I know I've seen some people talk about pouring at a slushy stage with soy but I've never used an all soy wax. 

I’m going to order that wax tomorrow and I’ll try your pouring temp and your heating temp and see how that works and I’ll try with the wax I have her idea and see if I can figure something out. Thanks so much for all of your help. I’ll let you know if it works or doesn’t work if it doesn’t maybe you have some more advice. And do you use a double boiler?

5 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Most instructions I've seen recommend stirring two minutes before pouring. That's what I do. You have to get the oil to blend in with the wax. 

I also read somewhere about getting a fan that it may be cooling to quick and that’s maybe why it’s uneven? And someone said use coconut oil. Another said heat gun or hair dryer to melt the top again. Another said do two layers. Are any of these good ideas? 

10 hours ago, Kaitlin Geibel said:

I also read somewhere about getting a fan that it may be cooling to quick and that’s maybe why it’s uneven? And someone said use coconut oil. Another said heat gun or hair dryer to melt the top again. Another said do two layers. Are any of these good ideas? 

I've never had to use a fan or a heat gun when I use 4625/6006 blend. I have poured twice when using a blend that doesn't set with a completely smooth top like I like. When I've used KY tart wax or any wax that doesn't harden with a smooth top I've poured twice or when I want two different colors and that always makes a smooth top but it's totally unnecessary with their tart wax unless that's just the look you want. I do prefer a smooth top but it's just double work. But, when using 4625/6006 at 50/50 I get a smooth top every time with no double pour. It's just going to melt anyway so I'm not quite sure why that bothers me but it does LOL!

Read the reviews at Rustic Escentual and Flaming on their para/soy tart wax. It's a very easy and good wax to make shapes and clams with. You won't get a smooth top without doing a second pour but that's just us. Most customers don't care about whether it's smooth or not. Their para/soy tart wax gets great reviews and it's granulated and very easy to use. It's the same wax from both companies. It does require a few days cure time but that's pretty much any wax, just longer if there's soy in the mix.

10 hours ago, Kaitlin Geibel said:

I’m going to order that wax tomorrow and I’ll try your pouring temp and your heating temp and see how that works and I’ll try with the wax I have her idea and see if I can figure something out. Thanks so much for all of your help. I’ll let you know if it works or doesn’t work if it doesn’t maybe you have some more advice. And do you use a double boiler?

I don't use a double boiler but a pot I got from Walmart. It's called a presto pot. It's like a deep fryer. 

Edited by Belinda

I use Golden Brand soy for wax and tarts specifically made for wax and tarts it wont even burn for a candle. and have not had this problem at all they always smooth. i get it from candle science.  mix FO at 185, pour at 160.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, Belinda said:

I've never had to use a fan or a heat gun when I use 4625/6006 blend. I have poured twice when using a blend that doesn't set with a completely smooth top like I like. When I've used KY tart wax or any wax that doesn't harden with a smooth top I've poured twice or when I want two different colors and that always makes a smooth top but it's totally unnecessary with their tart wax unless that's just the look you want. I do prefer a smooth top but it's just double work. But, when using 4625/6006 at 50/50 I get a smooth top every time with no double pour. It's just going to melt anyway so I'm not quite sure why that bothers me but it does LOL!

Read the reviews at Rustic Escentual and Flaming on their para/soy tart wax. It's a very easy and good wax to make shapes and clams with. You won't get a smooth top without doing a second pour but that's just us. Most customers don't care about whether it's smooth or not. Their para/soy tart wax gets great reviews and it's granulated and very easy to use. It's the same wax from both companies. It does require a few days cure time but that's pretty much any wax, just longer if there's soy in the mix.

Would you say that RE para-soy is about the same as NG POB? I have used POB for a long time and it no longer has the same scent throw. I was told, I do not know it to be a fact, that they changed the soy in the blend. Now I am trying to make my own blend.  Nothing to date seems to knock my socks off.

15 hours ago, EAM said:

Would you say that RE para-soy is about the same as NG POB? I have used POB for a long time and it no longer has the same scent throw. I was told, I do not know it to be a fact, that they changed the soy in the blend. Now I am trying to make my own blend.  Nothing to date seems to knock my socks off.

I've only bought NG POB one time and while I didn't think it was exactly the same as KY tart wax and 650 from Flaming I really think it is. I thought it was slightly different but I've been told since then that it's the same CJ Robinson wax as theirs. 

• 9 months later...

Hello!   

I am a "newbie" to tart making. Have not started it yet, and I'm so excited and ready to start. 

I have spent so many hours reading different threads and looking on websites.  My brain is now turned to a melting pot of blends of wax/fo and going to explode! 🤯   I am more confused than ever!   

HELP......Where do I start???  
What is the best?

TARTS 101

best wax?

best fragrance oil suppliers?

Best ratio of fragrance amount per pound of wax?

Best suppliers waxes/fo?

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much!

On 3/12/2021 at 6:08 AM, L'egant Studio's said:

Hello!   

I am a "newbie" to tart making. Have not started it yet, and I'm so excited and ready to start. 

I have spent so many hours reading different threads and looking on websites.  My brain is now turned to a melting pot of blends of wax/fo and going to explode! 🤯   I am more confused than ever!   

HELP......Where do I start???  
What is the best?

TARTS 101

best wax?

best fragrance oil suppliers?

Best ratio of fragrance amount per pound of wax?

Best suppliers waxes/fo?

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much!

Do you plan on using clamshells or pouring into molds? If clams then my favorite blend is 4625/6006 at 50/50. For shapes I like using 4625 alone or 4794 which would also mix well with 6006 for clams. 

I mentioned in your other post that there's a para/soy tart wax that several suppliers sell that is easy to work with and comes in a pellet form and a great wax, especially for beginners but even seasoned tart makers use it. You can get it from Flaming, Virginia, Just Scent, Rustic Escentuals, Scented Expressions and I'm sure other places. It works well for clams and shapes.  Like someone else said pick the one that has the cheapest shipping to you. 

Where is your location? I'm in Texas and can order from Flaming, Virginia, Lone Star and Aztec with about the same cost in shipping.

• Like 1

This all comes down to what you like to make and use. Start by making what you like to use. When you love your products they are easier to sell should you decide to do that.  

for containers/clam shells, price is only one consideration.  Sometimes melt clamshells are well made, and do not leak.  Sometimes the opposite is true.  Buy a small quantity and test. See if you like how they are to work with.  If they are a pain to fill then the price may not be so great.

there is no one best wax for melts.  Every maker has their own favorite blend they swear by. I would try suppliers of commonly available brands of wax.  Seems like every reseller has experienced shortages regardless of the brands during the past year.  Availability of substitute suppliers can be a life saver, if a reseller is close to home, all the better since shipping costs will always rise. 

I often walk through different stores to see what is on the new arrivals shelves, and compare to what is on the clearance rack to get an idea of what is selling. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, L'egant Studio's said:

sorry .29 cents (it wouldn't let me edit)

The best prices on clams that I've found is from Virginia Candle, Maple Street and Fillmore Container. I'm thinking the ones from Virginia were the best priced including shipping. They sell them by the case of 700 for $95.00, Fillmore's are .35 each or $112 for a case of 700. I've used clams from all three of them and they're the same exact clams. 

On 3/14/2021 at 8:27 AM, L'egant Studio's said:

Belinda, 

I plan on using both.

The closest supplier charges .59 cents per clamshell.  Is that reasonable so I don't have shipping cost?

The para/soy tart wax is great for both. It's a good wax to start with for sure for both.

• Like 1