Wax melt help

Kaitlin Geibel

1 minute ago, Kaitlin Geibel said:

I was thinking of trying a different soy wax. But as of right now I’m using this. 

image.jpg

I have never used all soy but I have seen others clams do this same thing and they've been 100% soy wax. I've used all paraffin and a para/soy mix with mostly paraffin and I've never had that happen. Maybe play around with pouring temps? I know there are plenty on here that do use all soy and can probably give you some tips that will help you. I'm sorry I'm not much help. Maybe add some paraffin in there and see what happens. You'll get a stronger scent throw with paraffin from my experience.

3 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I have never used all soy but I have seen others clams do this same thing and they've been 100% soy wax. I've used all paraffin and a para/soy mix with mostly paraffin and I've never had that happen. Maybe play around with pouring temps? I know there are plenty on here that do use all soy and can probably give you some tips that will help you. I'm sorry I'm not much help. Maybe add some paraffin in there and see what happens. You'll get a stronger scent throw with paraffin from my experience.

I’ll have to try using paraffin. I’ve tried playing around with the pouring temps I’m pretty much out of options. I read online someone suggested a fan. 

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

Looks like a combo of pouring too hot and cooling too slowly. (Based on it Appears to have formed large grains.)

how long do you stir, temp when pouring, how long is it taking to cool?

I haven’t really took stirring into consideration so I’m actually not sure how long I stir. And I pour at like 125-130 I’ve tried 160 I’ve tried 110-115 I’ve had the same issues with all of them. And it takes like 10 -15 mins to cool 

I’ll have to try using paraffin. I’ve tried playing around with the pouring temps I’m pretty much out of options. I read online someone suggested a fan. 

Personally, I would defiantly add some paraffin. I love the look of 4625 and 6006 (which is 30% soy and 70% paraffin) mixed 50/50 for clams. That's actually my favorite blend for clams. Both of those waxes have great scent throw and the combination comes right out of the clams very easy which is something I've struggled with getting to happen with other wax blends except KY para/soy wax which is really great too only it has a little more soy but it's still a great wax and pops right out of clams. 

Just now, Belinda said:

Personally, I would defiantly add some paraffin. I love the look of 4625 and 6006 (which is 30% soy and 70% paraffin) mixed 50/50 for clams. That's actually my favorite blend for clams. Both of those waxes have great scent throw and the combination comes right out of the clams very easy which is something I've struggled with getting to happen with other wax blends except KY para/soy wax which is really great too only it has a little more soy but it's still a great wax and pops right out of clams. 

Are yours creamy? That’s what I’m searching for is creamy and easily to come out of the containers. Where do you get your wax and paraffin? 

Some of the clams made with all soy that I've seen in stores and even given to me from friends have looked the same way as yours and even looked dry. I don't know what causes that because I've never tried all soy. If you're not dead set on using all soy then I would try a different wax or like I said add some paraffin. KY and Flaming carry the same para/soy tart wax and it's really great for clams. I've used it many times on it's own and as a blend and have never had any issues with it. I hope this helps you!

Are yours creamy? That’s what I’m searching for is creamy and easily to come out of the containers. Where do you get your wax and paraffin? 

Yes, they look creamy with the added soy from the 6006. I've been doing this for 8 years now and have tried MANY different wax blends for shapes and clams and my personal favorite for clams is 4625/6006 mixed at 50/50. I've actually used 6006 alone in clams and they were fine but I do prefer the addition of a harder wax. 

I usually get my wax from Lone Star, Aztec and Flaming. 

1 minute ago, Belinda said:

Yes, they look creamy with the added soy from the 6006. I've been doing this for 8 years now and have tried MANY different wax blends for shapes and clams and my personal favorite for clams is 4625/6006 mixed at 50/50. I've actually used 6006 alone in clams and they were fine but I do prefer the addition of a harder wax. 

I usually get my wax from Lone Star, Aztec and Flaming. 

Are all the brands ok to buy from? Or is one better than the other? And do you know any good places to get good scents all the ones I’ve tried aren’t strong at all. 

Just now, Kaitlin Geibel said:

Are all the brands ok to buy from? Or is one better than the other? And do you know any good places to get good scents all the ones I’ve tried aren’t strong at all. 

Where are you getting your oils?

Are you letting your clams cure because soy has to cure for a while in order to throw well. Paraffin require much less cure time. 

I get my oils from many suppliers and they all have great oils and they all have duds. Scent is also subjective. What I might call a light scent others may say it's strong. I get my oils from Aztec, Candle Science, Flaming candle company, Candle Wic, Natures Gardens, Indiana Candle Supply, Fragrance Buddy, Just Scent and Rustic Escentuals are my usual suppliers.

5 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Where are you getting your oils?

Are you letting your clams cure because soy has to cure for a while in order to throw well. Paraffin require much less cure time. 

I get my oils from many suppliers and they all have great oils and they all have duds. Scent is also subjective. What I might call a light scent others may say it's strong. I get my oils from Aztec, Candle Science, Flaming candle company, Candle Wic, Natures Gardens, Indiana Candle Supply, Fragrance Buddy, Just Scent and Rustic Escentuals are my usual suppliers.

What do you mean cure? And are these the ones you were talking about mixing. And I’ve been using candle science and just scent. 

698C7343-E597-4125-881E-66F292CEC983.png

A0369E1D-C641-4BBE-AB53-86E74A3E48F1.png

What do you mean cure? And are these the ones you were talking about mixing. And I’ve been using candle science and just scent. 

698C7343-E597-4125-881E-66F292CEC983.png

A0369E1D-C641-4BBE-AB53-86E74A3E48F1.png

Yes, those two waxes are the ones I use for clams.

Curing helps the scent get stronger and gives the wax time to bind with the scent (I think that's right) and soy especially has to cure and from what I've read some cure theirs for two weeks before melting it. Paraffin doesn't need as long a cure time but I have noticed that clams I pour one day will smell much stronger say four or five days later after they've had time to sit and cure. Soy wax will get stronger the longer it cures.

When you read the directions on different waxes it will usually say something to the effect that a cure time of two weeks or one week is suggested. I hope I'm making sense. When I pour clams I will tell my customers to let them sit for a few days before melting if I've used any soy in them at all and even with all paraffin I suggest a couple of days to cure and don't just melt them right away if I've just poured them.

Often that container wax is poured when it gets cloudy. Believe it or not it can get down to 100 and still be pourable if you stir frequently while it cools.

for soy, I tend to cool the pour pot on a fan while stirring with a wide spatula to create smaller wax crystals. Pour when it clouds.

small soy crystals =shiny smooth surfaces.

Could be your 444 -lots of us were burned by janky 444 batches.  I stopped using it in 2018 when their operations moved and the lots varied wildly, and unacceptably, 

5 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Yes, those two waxes are the ones I use for clams.

Curing helps the scent get stronger and gives the wax time to bind with the scent (I think that's right) and soy especially has to cure and from what I've read some cure theirs for two weeks before melting it. Paraffin doesn't need as long a cure time but I have noticed that clams I pour one day will smell much stronger say four or five days later after they've had time to sit and cure. Soy wax will get stronger the longer it cures.

When you read the directions on different waxes it will usually say something to the effect that a cure time of two weeks or one week is suggested. I hope I'm making sense. When I pour clams I will tell my customers to let them sit for a few days before melting if I've used any soy in them at all and even with all paraffin I suggest a couple of days to cure and don't just melt them right away if I've just poured them.

I’ll try curing them I didn’t know I was supposed to. Any particular place I should buy color could that be effecting it also? I’ve noticed I get like white in my wax melts sometimes too. And you mix those two waxes together? And you’ve also used the 6006 by it’s self and it worked ok?

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Often that container wax is poured when it gets cloudy. Believe it or not it can get down to 100 and still be pourable if you stir frequently while it cools.

for soy, I tend to cool the pour pot on a fan while stirring with a wide spatula to create smaller wax crystals. Pour when it clouds.

small soy crystals =shiny smooth surfaces.

Could be your 444 -lots of us were burned by janky 444 batches.  I stopped using it in 2018 when their operations moved and the lots varied wildly, and unacceptably, 

So I should pour at 100? And what do you mean pour pot on a fan? I’ve read fans can help I’m not sure what one to get. People also said to layer the wax in two layers which doesn’t seem to be working. And what wax do you use? And is it creamy I also heard to use coconut oil. 

6 minutes ago, Kaitlin Geibel said:

I’ll try curing them I didn’t know I was supposed to. Any particular place I should buy color could that be effecting it also? I’ve noticed I get like white in my wax melts sometimes too. And you mix those two waxes together? And you’ve also used the 6006 by it’s self and it worked ok?

Yes, I"ve used 6006 alone in clams and it was fine for me. I've read where some think it's too soft on it's on but it has a melt point of 132-133 and  worked fine for me when I used it like that. 

I get my dyes from Flaming, Lone Star, Rustic Escentuals and Texas Candle Supply. I use liquid dyes and have never had a problem with them mixing with the wax. I do know that soy wax doesn't seem to take color as easy as paraffin but even with using para/soy I've never had it not take color with white left in it. I stir for two minutes after adding FO and color. 

Are you stirring long enough after adding FO and dye? 

Edited by Belinda

1 minute ago, Belinda said:

Yes, I"ve used 6006 alone in clams and it was fine for me. I've read where some think it's too soft on it's on but it has a melt point of 132-133 and  worked fine for me when I used it like that. 

I get my dyes from Flaming, Lone Star and Texas Candle Supply. I use liquid dyes and have never had a problem with them mixing with the wax. I do know that soy wax doesn't seem to take color as easy as paraffin but even with using para/soy I've never had it not take color with white left in it. I stir for two minutes after adding FO and color. 

I might not be stirring long enough. And what’s the melt point mean sorry I’m super new. So when you do it what temp do you let it get up to and what temp do you pour it at?

3 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I get my dyes from Flaming, Lone Star, Rustic Escentuals and Texas Candle Supply. I use liquid dyes and have never had a problem with them mixing with the wax. I do know that soy wax doesn't seem to take color as easy as paraffin but even with using para/soy I've never had it not take color with white left in it. I stir for two minutes after adding FO and color. 

I didn’t even know I was supposed to stir for a certain amount of time I’ve just been stirring till the color blends in