Help me I’m melting!

Forrest

That had a different meaning when the Wicked Witch of the West said it. My situation is I’ve taken my candle making in a different direction, which has left me with a supply of 6006 wax and FOs that I need to do something with. My daughter in Texas asked for some melts, and as she is about to provide me with a new grandson making some melts is the least I can do, and boy will she be getting a lot of melts. In addition to my 6006 I have some rock hard paraffin I bought for making melts, 4625 maybe.

I have some clamshells I could make melts in, but making them in a foil lined pan and cutting them into chunks seems more efficient, I could use some advice on this point. If the pan is the best idea how much wax should I use for a 9x13 pan?

My next question is should I increase my FO percentage? I normally use 7%, but as I’m not wicking this wax why not 9% or even 10%?   

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated. I’m home alone, I have a three day weekend, and I need to get rid of 40 Lbs. of 6006.

If it were me, and I was trying to use up wax, I would pour clams and brittle.  Were you planning to cut into cubes or break into brittle?  No matter really.  For a rough estimate of how much wax it would take, fill up the pan with water to the desired thickness, weigh the water and multiply by .9 .  
With my wax, 14.5oz of wax + 1 oz of FO makes exactly 6 of the standard 6 cavity clamshells, so if you want to go that route, there's a starting point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could go up to 8 or 9% on the FO. I've never seen the need to go higher than that. A good parrafin or parasoy tart will be plenty strong at 8%, and the infrequent times I've gone up to 10% I've never noticed a difference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

Unless she wants a lot of one fragrance making brittle those pans can hold up to 1 lb. Do you have any kind of silicone molds you could pour wax in?

I need to get rid of 30 Lbs. of 6006 so I don't get that look every time I buy new wax. I could buy my other daughter a melter and divide it between them.

I use 6006 mixed with 4625 for clams and a 2 cup measuring cup filled up will make 6 clams and maybe 1-2 shot cups. 
making brittle sounds good too. I think I’m the cookie sheets I use it takes about 3-4 cups of wax to cover the bottom. 

• 1 month later...