wicking virgin coconut soy...recs :)?

Hello! I am testing 3" diameter clear jars and have achieved good jar adhesion but am having issues with wicking the Wooden Wick Co wax. I am using 10% FO and am using premier wicks 767 and 770....767 doesnt get a full melt pool and 770 has a good melt pool but i find it sooting at the top of the jar. Any ideas? Thank you!! 

The smaller wick, have you burned it all the way to the bottom? Full melt pool at the top of a coconut wax candle can be very problematic further down the jar.  A little hang up is usually a good thing as it I’ll catch up later in the burns. 

if it soots at the top, it will likely be a beast further down.

• Like 1

Wick series depends totally on your wax, container and fragrance (an other additives like color for instance). Typically, I start out with CD or CSN in coconut waxes. Wooden wicks can work well too if sized well.

Cottonwood can be nice, but the smallest size (CW20) is still much too large for most of my coconut concoctions - especially if they are loaded with paraffin like 6570. Blending more soy, beeswax, palm, etc can help slow the burn and make beautiful flames, though.  I love CW wicks in the right waxes.

Ribbon wicks were a disaster in my early trials. THe small was awfully hot in my tests and really didn't look as nice as other options. 

When I get a new wax, I start with CD. If it does not perform well enough (flame height, soot, HT, etc.) then I move on to any and all other types in my shop until I find one that works better. Premier can be very nice in the right blends. 

The BIGGEST factor I have found is FO.  Some will only throw with lava hot wicks and need different wax blends to remain safe. Others are shy and need super cool wicks and easy to melt/burn wax. Some don't care and perform as they should without even trying.