8 Different Wicks Tested with GB464, All Failed Safety Tests.

So I've known the basics on how to make candles for a while but now that I'm attempting to make candles that are actually safe, I've been running into some issues.   Several of the wicks have had no issues until it got towards the bottom, where it got way too hot.   Several of them failed pretty quickly when I blew them out and the embers stuck around on the wick.

Now, I do realize now that I made a mistake when setting up my testing by starting with things with fragrance oil (VC Creme Brulee at 8%) vs starting with unscented candles to establish a baseline.   But I figured since I started that way I needed to continue that way to be consistent.   Everything else has been consistent as far as method is concerned.  I'm using an 8 oz jelly jar from a local candle supply store.

So far I've tested the following

LX-14

LX-16

LX-18

CD-8

CD-10

CD-12

ECO-10

ECO-12

I know I still have some I can test (Premiers and smaller wicks of the ones tested) but I've never gotten the sense that it was that hard to find a wick that passed a basic safety test.   I've started to wonder whether or not the fragrance oil is having an outsize effect on the ultimate test results and if I should just start over.   Or have I just been unlucky so far?   Would appreciate any thoughts.

Kudos for thorough testing. 

you can continue on with this test as long as you use the same FO from the same bottle to compare. I would follow up with a baseline test to know for sure how much of a variable your FO is. 

those wick series look fine, just very large sizes for a typical jelly jar.  
lx 12, cd6, Eco 2 or 4. 

For 464,  cd wicks seem pretty popular and are hot enough to throw when all things are in balance. 

eco can get ridiculously hot, even small sizes. I keep those around for fragrances that clog easily or are buggers to burn. 

the bottom of the container is the most critical, as you figured out.  Sometimes I pour a hard to burn wax in the last part of a jar to act as a brake. If the jar is clear, and the color variation between waxes is jarring, pour a small votive or tea light to use inside the normal wax to hide it. It is more work, absolutely, but can become a nice safety feature. 

On 5/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, TallTayl said:

Kudos for thorough testing. 

you can continue on with this test as long as you use the same FO from the same bottle to compare. I would follow up with a baseline test to know for sure how much of a variable your FO is. 

those wick series look fine, just very large sizes for a typical jelly jar.  
lx 12, cd6, Eco 2 or 4. 

For 464,  cd wicks seem pretty popular and are hot enough to throw when all things are in balance. 

eco can get ridiculously hot, even small sizes. I keep those around for fragrances that clog easily or are buggers to burn. 

the bottom of the container is the most critical, as you figured out.  Sometimes I pour a hard to burn wax in the last part of a jar to act as a brake. If the jar is clear, and the color variation between waxes is jarring, pour a small votive or tea light to use inside the normal wax to hide it. It is more work, absolutely, but can become a nice safety feature. 

I appreciate the response.   By a hard to burn wax do you mean like a beeswax or a different soy blend?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone is interested, I finally was able to get a candle that burned safe with a CD-6.   Other scents have had other, even smaller wicks that worked, like a CD-4 for my Strawberry Shortcake.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, prs7979 said:

I appreciate the response.   By a hard to burn wax do you mean like a beeswax or a different soy blend?

Yes. Or even palm. I have used all of the above in different situations. 

22 minutes ago, prs7979 said:

Just in case anyone is interested, I finally was able to get a candle that burned safe with a CD-6.   Other scents have had other, even smaller wicks that worked, like a CD-4 for my Strawberry Shortcake.

Excellent! Thanks for following up.