Say.... Houston... WTF IS THAT?

Sponiebr

Someone just actually ordered soap from me! Yeah, IKR?

Anywho, while I was assembling their order I happened to spy this older bar of Pumpkin's Pie... It's at least 2 years old because it had the clear tape band around the middle of the labels with the gummed backed paper tape band on it. (All  of my current soaps get the labels stuck directly onto the bar and then shrink wrapped.)

So anyway, this bar has been in COLD, DARK, SUPER DRY storage for it's entire life. I see that it has what would otherwise look like soda ash all over the bar. It's even present under the paper tape but not nearly as much as the areas outside the label. The the whole bar was shrink wrapped with micro perforated polyolefin too so it wasn't just exposed to the air. 

20200503_040724.thumb.jpg.1994744e3c95201831bd67b93b09e769.jpg

I KNOW that it's NOT soda ash, because that only forms while there is active lye exposed to air, but what IS this milky coating on the surface of this bar. I THINK it's stearic acid that has finally oxidized AND/OR (it IS pumpkin pie scented) it's oxidized FO. It FEELS waxy like stearic acid though... This one's new for me, or maybe I've seen it before but I'm getting early onset senility and don't remember seeing this before (seriously I just found out a week ago that one of my meds was probably the cause of my rapidly deteriorating short term memory). 

Anyway... I claimed the bar as my own because I was due for a new bar anyway and I wanted to unwrap it and see if it's gotten any orange problems going on. (It doesn't... YAY!)

Thorts?

(Yeah, I know, I've been scarce for awhile now, but I JUST SOLD $100 of soap and THAT I HAD to share!)

Slainte,

Sponiebr 

The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• Like 3

Could be a stearic bloom. I’ve had it from time to time as soap aged.  Certain scents seemed more prone to it, though unscented/uncolored has had it too. 

do you use cocoa butter? Happened more frequently  in my high CB formulas. 

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Could be a stearic bloom. I’ve had it from time to time as soap aged.  Certain scents seemed more prone to it, though unscented/uncolored has had it too. 

do you use cocoa butter? Happened more frequently  in my high CB formulas. 

No coco butter BUT there IS a TON of high stearic PO and a good bit of CO in my formulation. I'm like almost positive it's a stearic bloom from the oxidation of the FO.  I mean it's GOTTA be, right? It rubbed right off the bar first use and the scent was primo...  That was DEFINITELY one of my HTFHP bars though.  (This was the last batch of HP before you brought me back into the light...) 😘

5 hours ago, Candybee said:

Congrats on your soap sale!

Re your pumpkin soap, that looks like ash to me.

It's HTFHP so it's absolutely NOT ash.